Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: air intake - advice - ideas needed
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
air intake - advice - ideas needed

westy megabusa

just got the air box i bought from one of the guys on here fitted and just clearing the engine cover, now i need a air intake oval/ rectangular air intake tract to the top of the air box.. cant decide if it will be a right faff on making a fibreglass one or making an ally one - if in ally i would like it welding up properly tho.. not lots of rivets in it to come loose.. (the center pin of the rivets can fall out and into the engine - not advisable)

i havnt much room to play with only bout 2-3 inches or so.. ideas?

the westy has a grilled intake built into the 'V8 engine cover' its a bike engine but called that. so that would make sense to use it

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
where is your air filter going in this set-up?

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
where is your air filter going in this set-up?

in the oem bike airbox.. the air supply to the center of the filter.. theres a bolt down plate to accept the air intake by drilling an appropriate hole using a GSXR 750 box

cosmick

posted on 28/12/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at my pics in my photo archive. The ducting was made from fibreglass sheet and just cut to shape using cardboard as a template. the whole lot was glued together with a hot glue gun and when satisfied with the shape, i used sikaflex to bond it permanently. It's been fitted for 2 years now and still very strong.
No induction noise and more horsepower.

cosmick

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

sorens2

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dont know if it is any ude.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
Have a look at my pics in my photo archive. The ducting was made from fibreglass sheet and just cut to shape using cardboard as a template. the whole lot was glued together with a hot glue gun and when satisfied with the shape, i used sikaflex to bond it permanently. It's been fitted for 2 years now and still very strong.

cosmick

aye - i have those mick - just bantering ideas around to whether its feasible to have the ducting seperate from the engine cover - on the engine. maybe - i have the materials to do it the way you have but crikey is it hard to line it up - canna see a darn thing! - will suss it tho - just gotta get out of crimbo mode and into workshop mode...

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sorens2
Dont know if it is any ude.

Soren S2

thats a beefy air intake - havnt really got the luxury of that much space.. thanks tho.. ps wheres the filter?

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick

cosmick

i did have probs getting that box under the engine cover mick it was fouling even with turnng the trumpets round - bugger - i had to chop some more off it - made an ally section to fill it in - once iv finalised the ducts ill glue it all up in one go - last time i used sikaflex i only used a bit thought it would keep in the tube a bit longer - couldnt get it out so was wasted. best to do as much as you can while its open.

cosmick

posted on 28/12/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Take the nose cone off and work from the front. First glue a piece of card to the airbox opening to get the angle up to the bonnet. Then make a V at the other end to close the ducting. then place a flat sheet across the front of the bonnet and finally box it in. It took me about 4 hours to make and it works brilliantly. Your airbox will be a less acute angle than mine but the principle is the same.
I don't understand why you had to cut some more off the top of the filter, I had that very box under my bonnet. I think your engine might be higher in the chassis than mine.
Send me some pics when its done.

cosmick

[Edited on 28/12/10 by cosmick]

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

sorens2

posted on 28/12/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
The filter is inside the hose as a cone.
Good for over 200 bhp.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.