Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mot test since engine change?
rich201283

posted on 8/1/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
mot test since engine change?

I have put a 2ltr zetec on bike carbs in my sylva star, the car is a q plate 1983 and the old engine was a 1256 viva engine.

I spoke to the mot tester today and he advises it may need a catalyser and an inspection due to the engine change.

I understand that theres been some changed in the testing guidlines recently,
Does a Q plate need emmisions test?
Does it need inspecting by vosa?

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/1/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't they go by the age of the engine as fitted, not the reg year of the vehicle?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DIY Si

posted on 8/1/11 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Depends. My old Indy was an 1980 reg, but running a 2002 blackbird engine. It was always tested to the 1980 emissions limits. It does seem to vary depending upon how the car was registered. Some folk have emissions limits on the V5, others are Q plates, and as such should be visible smoke, others are like mine and done by the age of the reg.

Part of the problem with all the different outcomes is that the system is set up to expect a car of a certain age having an engine of a matching age. It's when people like us start messing about with stuff that the system doesn't know what to do and as such can generate a few different answers depending upon who looked at the V5 at engine size/number swap time.

[Edited on 8/1/11 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

whitestu

posted on 8/1/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
He's wrong. No cat should be needed. My car was built with a '91 CVH engine and now has a 2.0 Backtop Zetec. No mention of it at all at MOT.

Stu

ashg

posted on 8/1/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
take it to another garage.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

deezee

posted on 8/1/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I assume that you've declared the engine change to the DVLA? They sometimes ask to have a garage confirm the engine change, but its only for tax purposes, in case your road tax category changes. This won't effect your emissions. Find a more knowledgeable garage.

chris666

posted on 8/1/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
q plates are visual check only.engine change wont affect it.

Chris

bigfoot4616

posted on 8/1/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
don't think think the DVLA will want an engineers report as you will be giving them more money due to change of tax bracket.

as above it should only be visual on a Q plate.
cars with differant engines fitted are tested to whichever is older for emmisions normally

whitestu

posted on 8/1/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

don't think think the DVLA will want an engineers report as you will be giving them more money due to change of tax bracket

Thant's what I thought, but unfortunately they do!

Stu

Dan.

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
As said Q plates are smoke test only, if it was not a Q plate I believe it has to pass the emisions at the same level as required for the original engine at IVA, so if upgrading from a pinto to zetec for example emisions should not be a problem at all even without a cat.
deezee

posted on 12/1/11 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan.
As said Q plates are smoke test only, if it was not a Q plate I believe it has to pass the emisions at the same level as required for the original engine at IVA, so if upgrading from a pinto to zetec for example emisions should not be a problem at all even without a cat.

This is easily the most misquoted statement on this forum. Q plates prior to 1998 are visual smoke only. After the SVA was introduced the emissions are set at the time of the SVA / IVA by VOSA, based on the engine and the Q plate is issued by the DVLA. The DVLA do not set your emissions. This information is over 10 years out of date.

loggyboy

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
This is easily the most misquoted statement on this forum. Q plates prior to 1998 are visual smoke only. After the SVA was introduced the emissions are set at the time of the SVA / IVA by VOSA, based on the engine and the Q plate is issued by the DVLA. The DVLA do not set your emissions. This information is over 10 years out of date.

Flow chart to back up the above is true:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/7.3%20Exhaust%20Emissions%20-%20Spark%20Ignition%20-%20non%20CAT%20Test.pdf

meaning the OP only needs to have a visual smoke check, and anyone else who changes an engine Post SVA/IVA will need to comply with that of the original engine.

[Edited on 12/1/11 by loggyboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.