Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice and experiences with maxsport rb5, Colway formular 2 or Avov ACB10
bi22le

posted on 9/1/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Advice and experiences with maxsport rb5, Colway formular 2 or Avov ACB10

Hi all.

I have been doing some searching (and posting) and think Im going to go down the route of one of the above mentioned tyres.

I was hoping for some reviews or advice on maxsport rb5, colway formular 2, and Avov ACB10 tyres. These all seem alot cheaper that A032 or R888 and as these are for track use only they dont have to be great in the wet. If it rains on a track day I will stick my road tyres back on.

I have done some searches on here about these already and one thing that come up was about the differences between radial and crossply tyres and the different geometry set ups they require. Now I am no Jensen Button so probably could not tell anyway regardless of set up but how true is this??

Thanks for your help and advice.

Roll on the good weather!!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/1/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
ACB10's require different suspension settings as they are cross-plies. This would become a pain if you change between radials and cross-plies on a regular basis. Also you don't want to use them on the road (too much tram-lining), and I didn't think that they were cheap.

Why not get slicks for the track? Prices are generally pretty good.

Matt

bi22le

posted on 9/1/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah ACB10 do seem empensive and due to the suspension set up needed I think they are out of the race.

People keep talking about cheap part warn slicks but I cant find anywhere that supplies them in 186 60 R14. Any suppliers?

Any other opinions?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Andy D

posted on 9/1/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Colway F2s before, and tbh they're nowhere near as good as R888s. The answer to your problem is another set of wheels, 13" if you can fit them, and used slicks.
richardR1

posted on 9/1/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye on rally sites such as Rally Used Parts for lads selling used tarmac tyres, these will be moulded slicks or wets so will have the ability to cope with damp or wet conditions. We use Dunlop CR311 when we rally and they give far better grip than any of the ones you list. You want the softest compound you can get for such a light car, we used to use the softest X22 compound on our R1 engined Mini rally car and they were fantastic.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

beaver34

posted on 9/1/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Get a set of toyo r1r they should do both your road and track

I'm selling both sets of my wheels and running just one set with these on, there the same compound as r888 but full tread and work well in water too, the lotus guys are loving them

iank

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Colway went bust 3 years ago, so any f2's you find will be old stock or not available when you try to order.

+1 on the part worn slicks if you can get them for a good price.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

paublo999

posted on 9/1/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Matt gsxr. Acb10s are regarded as the lightest and best from cold road legal tyres for sprinting. They are very poor on the road and run much less camber. Go for second hand slicks and enjoy yourself

I plan to use very soft flicks for the sprints this year but they wouldn't last two laps on a trackday and are £250 per corner

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

loggyboy

posted on 10/1/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Had a pair of F2s, tried them for autosolos but couldnt get enough heat into them, would excpect them to be better for a track day. Also tried colway inters, these were much better in dry as well as wet. However neither compared to Yoko A021s or A032s, all part warns bought cheap off ebay.

Never tried R888s as they were too expensive to tear up on the dodgy surfaces the autosolos were done on.

ironside

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used Maxsport RB5s on my old Elise on track/road for years. I thought they were great.

I used yellows (medium) on the Elise but you might prefer the softer blues on a lighter car. They also make a fantastic howl on smooth surfaces and in the damp, made the car sound like a tie fighter You can order direct from Maxsport, they'll charge a credit card and courier them out to you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.