Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body filler application
johnH20

posted on 9/1/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Body filler application

What is the secret of applying super thin body filler to selective areas of a GRP panel? Due to overenthusiastic power sanding I have created some areas that are locally scored and/or depressed relative to the intended surface. I am talking less than half mil here. I always end up with too much body filler , say 2mm thick, and create more problems sanding it down than I started with! Is there a tool/technique to use or a method of thinning the filler so it 'flows' better and leaves a nice feathered edge?
deltron63

posted on 9/1/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
The only real answer is, practise. Small dents are harder than big ones. I've been doing it for 25 years and still get it wrong once in a while
designer

posted on 9/1/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I think I seem to remember being told years ago that if you put acetone on the spreader the filler will not stick to it and you can spread it thin.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woolly

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
could try spray filler, long time since i used it. presume its still available
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Go to your local factor and ask for Dolphin Glaze, self levelling filler

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

deltron63

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I wouldn't use it on fiberglass, too hard to rub down

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I wouldn't use it on fiberglass, too hard to rub down

The coarser the abrasive, the harder it is to sand, try using 240 instead of 80.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RazMan

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Upol high build primer is ideal for small scratches

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 9/1/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yo can buy stopper which is ideal for light scratches this can be sanded down with fine wet and dry and gives excellent results. Use a high build primer then acrylic stopper job done

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Andybarbet

posted on 10/1/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
2nd vote for stopper, it goes on great and is very easy to sand down, ive used it over the years for very minor stuff that shows through the first primer coat, once this is on and sanded, any tiny deviations dissapear.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

bartonp

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yup - use stopper.
BenB

posted on 10/1/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Are stopper and filler the same? I can't find a difference explained on the 'net anywhere but I thought stopper was much finer?
minitici

posted on 10/1/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Stopper is usually a very fine cellulose putty which air dries.
Don't use it on large defects as it can shrink when it dries (and large applications would take a long time to dry).

alistairolsen

posted on 10/1/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
On spreading filler thin, even if not for this application...

Apply many times, a little at a time, avoid big lumps of it which may create a low spot around the filler without due care.

if you do have a hump, use a hard flat board to rip it back without touching the local substrate before moving onto to anything flexible (and a much finer grade)

in the latter stages having it all one colour really helps, followed by guide coats.

My Build Thread

johnH20

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Went to my local branch of Brown bros today and was recommended/sold some 3M Acryl-Red glazing putty 05098 for the job. I questioned the title but the instructions seem to define the job I need to do. Comes with mega health warning. If I never post again you know why!
StrikerChris

posted on 10/1/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've put abit of fiberglass resin in the mix in the past,makes it much more spreadable.someones bound to be along shortly to say you shouldn't but i've never had any problems doing it!
johnH20

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to those that pointed me in the right direction. Just thought I would post that the stuff recommended by Brown Bros in my previous post is brilliant. Highly recommended.
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have used an acrylic stopper (lechler??) probablyy similar to the 3M stuff. Waaay better than the cellulose stuff, goes nice and hard, sticks better, doesn't sink. In fact better in every way I can think of Reckon it is the best tip for anybody doing bodywork.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.