Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 'Rethreading' tap and die set
ChrisW

posted on 10/1/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
'Rethreading' tap and die set

What does the word 'rethreading' mean in this context? I want to cut threads into round bar, tube, etc. Is a set with 'rethreading' in the name suitable?

Reason being that I've seen a set that seems to be a good mix of quality brand vs price, but the name concerns me!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 10/1/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Rethreading dies are likely to be the non-split type and are probably only suitable for chasing an existing thread.
Split dies are better for threading a virgin piece of stock as you can take several passes to get the correct fit.

ChrisW

posted on 10/1/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the explanation.

What's the physical difference between split and not split?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 10/1/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, sounds like what i would call a die-nut for running over damaged/painted/etc threads rather than cutting new.

Daniel

SeaBass

posted on 10/1/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
What's the physical difference between split and not split?

Non Split Hex Die / Die Nut:

Split Die & Stock with adjusting screws.

The centre screw is tightened fully initially to "spread the die" and make the external thread your cutting as large diameter as possible. The outer screws are just nipped up. These can then be adjusted (loosening the centre and tightening the outer slightly closing the die) and another threading pass undertake to make a tight/binding thread into a loose/very loose running fit.

JC

ChrisW

posted on 10/1/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Much clearer about what I need to buy now!

Cheers, Chris

ChrisW

posted on 10/1/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Following on from this.... does this look like a suitable set?

eBay Item

Chris

Mix

posted on 10/1/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'd steer clear of 'budget' sets - in my opinion they are only really suitable for restorarion or cutting softer materials, (brass etc.). Look at individual items from the likes of Dormer or Goliath - will last a lifetime of occaisional use, (if used with cutting compound). Cheap wrenches will suffice though.

Regards Mick

nick205

posted on 10/1/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a Cromwell Tools near you they offer an extensive range of sets and individual taps/dies of good quality.

ChrisW

posted on 10/1/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MixI'd steer clear of 'budget' sets - in my opinion they are only really suitable for restorarion or cutting softer materials, (brass etc.). Look at individual items from the likes of Dormer or Goliath - will last a lifetime of occaisional use, (if used with cutting compound). Cheap wrenches will suffice though.

I wouldn't normally consider Sealey to be budget. Ok they're not top end, but not cheap crap either. Should I be changing my opinion?

Chris

posted on 10/1/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MixI'd steer clear of 'budget' sets - in my opinion they are only really suitable for restorarion or cutting softer materials, (brass etc.). Look at individual items from the likes of Dormer or Goliath - will last a lifetime of occaisional use, (if used with cutting compound). Cheap wrenches will suffice though.

I wouldn't normally consider Sealey to be budget. Ok they're not top end, but not cheap crap either. Should I be changing my opinion?

Chris

I'm with Mix on this one Chris.

It's what a tap or die is made from that's important. HSS is a minimum IMHO.

Cheers
Paul G

hillbillyracer

posted on 10/1/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Chris

I think Sealey stuff is ok in general, but I dont know that really make anything themselves, they buy their products in, as do Draper, Clarke & SIP. If you compare one product against another from the different brands you'll often find they look almost identical, & apart from the packaging the often will be! I think the quality varies more from product to product than it does between the brands, I used a bit of all those four brands as an Agric engineer & if you stick to their better quality lines (Sealey Premier, Draper Expert, Clarke Pro) it's not bad.
As for the tap & die sets, I'd agree with the previous comments & buy the best you can justify, I've also heard the Cromwell stuff is pretty good.

It's not just them either, I was looking at a used Snap-On thread repair kit (hence my interest in this topic on here) on ebay over the weekend & googling around to find out what it may be worth I found it's a bought in product available much cheaper under different names, but they all seem to be in the USA, only Snap-On here. It can be bought new for less US dollars than the used set made in pounds sterling!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.