Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inventing something
tegwin

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Inventing something

Over the last year I have got involved in a quite interesting project... I have basically developed something that I am hoping I can put into production, its a fairly nieche product but no one else is doing it at the moment, its design is very much dictated by its function, so copying it would be easy.....

I am now at the stage where I have done a lot of prototyping and testing, I am fairly sure within the next few months I will be looking to get some parts manufactured and some production prototypes installed in "situ" so that they can be proved on the job and used as a marketing tool once installed.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to protect myself? Obviously as soon as other companies get wind of what I have created they may well want to try it themselves as its not particularly hard, just takes some thought...

I am just worried after spending months working on this thing and a lot of money invested that I could easily loose it by someone basically stealing my idea......

If anyone has any guidance or advice atall on this subject I would appreciate it....

And sorry I cant be more specific about it at the moment :-(

also, if anyone happens to know of any people/comanies that do the following, please let me know..

Alloy die casting
CNC mill/lathe
Injection moulding and or blowing of polycarb or glass...

[Edited on 11/1/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

markt0121

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe worth taking a look at http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

see if any of the methods of protecting IP could apply to your design.

Also has some links for searching existing patents to make sure you don't infringe any existing patents.

slingshot2000

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Be VERY careful who you talk to, show pics to or divulge anything to.
Look at having a Non- Disclosure agreement drawn up , and then get every one to sign it! However; Manufacturers will ignore them, so dont show them anything.
Some University have rapid prototyping equipment, but beware, Teeside Uni wanted to grant ME a licence for MY idea and then take a cut!

Speak to a Patent Attorney as soon as you can, I can recomend the one I am using.

Send me a U2U if you would like my number for a friendly chat and some advice.

Regards
Jon

nick205

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Design Registration and Patents are the best form of protection you can obtain, but not fast and not cheap. I co-hold several patents through work and from experience the time and cost could be prohibitive to an individual.

The primary thing at this stage is not to reveal the invention or design to anyone at all. You should keep dated records of everyhing to demostrate prior art as well.

Another useful tool is the Non Disclosure Agreement. This can be a simple written agreement you ask people to sign whom you might need to disclose or discuss the invention with in order to develop it further.

There's quite a good website on British patents, but I can't find it at the minute.

DanP

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just to echo the above really... You need to be really careful discussing your idea with anyone. We are always told at work that you cannot patent something if it has been discussed outside the company without NDA's in place.

If something is easy to copy (and to prove that it has been copied) then patents are often the way to protect your idea. Unfortunately patenting something can take years to be granted and be very expensive.

Once granted a patent doesn't automatically protect your idea, it just might scare off potential copiers or gives you ammunition if you want to sue anyone that does copy your idea.

I think the whole thing is a bit of a minefield so it's best to get proper advice.

Cheers,
Dan

skodaman

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I converted my MZ250 ETZ to run on water, running a cr of 500:1. Only problem was it was a bit hard to kickstart and the big-ends didn't last long. Still one of the oil companies bought my patent so now I can afford to build a locost.
Seriously though if you need to get parts sourced do it from several different places so they don't know what it's actually for, and good luck. If it's carbon fibre cortina uprights you're doing I'll have some.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
g60_edge

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all the above

For injection moulding in your area I have worked with this company in the past, was a few years ago now.

http://www.aki.co.uk/home

Know of quite a few others plus toolmakers, but in Oxfordshire.

I've done a fair bit of design for injection moulding, so if you need any more info let me know.

Alex

[Edited on 11/1/11 by g60_edge]

theduck

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong, but does a patent not only stop someone making an identical copy? Meaning they can copy the idea but by making it slightly differently not breach patent?
g60_edge

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
I may be wrong, but does a patent not only stop someone making an identical copy? Meaning they can copy the idea but by making it slightly differently not breach patent?

It all depends on the claims of the patent. The above is true if it a very badly written. It is not usually that easy!

plentywahalla

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
There is a saying in the business that "A patent is only worth the money that you are prepared to spend to defend it"

Look into Unregistered Design Rights. You can establish that by lodging a set of dated drawings with a solicitor. Very simple and inexpensive.

watsonpj

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
A patent will protect a design idea and not just a particular implementation of it but it very much depends on how it is written. The design patent can be protected against people making small changes but this is all in the wording and by having definite claims. It is important that you are very clear about who invented it, who it was first disclosed to and what you have done and for what reason. You should write it up as clearly as possible (this is not the patent just the disclosure the patent lawyer will work to)

The info you need to capture is listed below

Invention Name.

Date of invention

Author Name

Inventor/s Names

First disclosed to - Ensure this is someone you trust (patent lawyer preferable)

Disclosure Date

Background - The reason/s that you believe the invention is needed and the situation that you may use it in (use diagrams where applicable but keep them simple and monochrome).

Current technology - If this is a replacement for a technology that already exists then discribe this and its shortcomings.

The invention - Describe the invention, its various aspects and advantages it has over existing technology. AQgain the use of diagrams can be important (simple is best as you are not nescessarily describing you implementation at this stage but what the invention is). It is important that your description allows 'somebody skilled in the art' to recreate your invention.

This all then needs to go to the patent guys for them to build your claims and create the first filing. As has been said this is a very long winded and expensive process so if its niche it needs to be high margin to make it all worthwhile.

Best of luck and please remember the locosters when you made your millions from a dragons den investor.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

You could talk to ISIS Innovation http://www.isis-innovation.com/about/index.html . This is a oxford university spin-off who basically try to turn ideas into business propositions.

My experience of them is that they are honest and decent. They are not completely tied to the university and although they still do a lot of Oxford Univ business they also deal in all sorts of things. They are decent in my experience, and although not the most efficient organisation are good people, and if they bought into the idea they could probably assist you with route to market and IP. With all these things they are not in it for charity, so they'd want their slice of the pie.

Matt

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
A simple process that anyone can do, is to photograph the design and constuction stages with a time and date stamped photo. Then collect all your evidence of design together, photo copy the items and finally put everything into two boxes (duplicates just incase) and send both parcels to yourself via two different recorded delivery mail/package services. Then leave them un-opened upon receipt until evidence might be needed.
At an earliest date possible you should then register designs or patents as required and maybe register a trade name that decribes the product or service.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
These guys work on our industrial estate and do some good work.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

interestedparty

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
The big question here is-

"are the potential profits from the invention big enough to make it worth taking anyone infringing your patent to court, and in how many countries?"

because an alternative approach would be to get your product to market taking steps to keep it secret until then, protect it as far as possible using the methods outlined above, but after that put the money that would go towards patenting (and court cases) into the marketing instead.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.