Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: old alloys leaking
mcerd1

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
old alloys leaking

my mate has a set of alloys that are leaking quite badly
they have fairly new tyres and have been cleaned up / painted with some sealant stuff in the past but its not lasted

what are his options for getting them sorted properly ?

they are on an BMW E21 323i if that makes any odds (so new wheels arn't an option)

cheers
-Robert

-

Bluemoon

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Had mine cleaned up, this involved a bit of sanding and some paint (garage fixed them for me as this was cheaper than getting them to take the tries on and off the rims with me doing the sanding!!).. Seem to now hold air.. Corrosion where the tire seated was the problem with mine.

Dan

hughpinder

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is it porosity of the wheels, cracks in the wheels, leaks through the tyres/valves, or wheel/tyre seal thats the problem?

You need a big tub of water (small kids pool?) and a stack of bricks to weigh down the wheels to find out where the air is coming out.

If its wheel porosity, and you need to keep the original wheels for originality reasons you may find:
http://www.impregnation.co.uk/catalog/sectors/restoration.htm useful.
If its cracks, get them welded.
Tyres or valves: get new.
Seating problem: take them to a tyre fitter and see what they can do.

Hope that helps
Hugh

Bluemoon

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Is it porosity of the wheels, cracks in the wheels, leaks through the tyres/valves, or wheel/tyre seal thats the problem?

You need a big tub of water (small kids pool?) and a stack of bricks to weigh down the wheels to find out where the air is coming out.

If its wheel porosity, and you need to keep the original wheels for originality reasons you may find:
http://www.impregnation.co.uk/catalog/sectors/restoration.htm useful.
If its cracks, get them welded.
Tyres or valves: get new.
Seating problem: take them to a tyre fitter and see what they can do.

Hope that helps
Hugh

Yep should have mentioned that found the leak with good old washing up liquid/water solution all were leaking around the tyre/wheel seal/seat.. They would go flat in about 1week before the fix..

Dan

[Edited on 12/1/11 by Bluemoon]

Canada EH!

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
The rims are leaking at the bead (the flange the sidewall sits on) common problem with Alloy rims over here were we use salt on the roads 4 months of the year.

The salt works it's way into the bead area then corrodes the Alloy.

Take the tires off the rims and inspect this area. Use a stainless steel brush on a drill to clean the corrosion.

The remedy over here is to run steel wheels with snow tires in the winter and alloys in the summer.

plantman

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
A tyre fitter i know told me that he runs a THIN bead of silicone around the rim where the tyre seats on the rim
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that once the tyres were off, a nice clean-up of the bead area, folowed by etch primer and then a coat of paint should do the trick. Nicer would be having them blasted etc etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.