Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis rust
dilley

posted on 13/1/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
chassis rust

I have nearly finished my buggy, I had the chassis altered from origional and then shot blasted and powder coated, I have started to see rust appear at some of the joints etc, i even have rust on some of the new tubes! the chassis was shot blasted then zinc coated first...I am going to approach the company as the buggy is not on the road yet! I know that there was some surface rust on the origional chassis but this should have been removed when blasted! who will pay for my time to strip and rebuild and powder coat again??

[Edited on 13/1/11 by dilley]

[Edited on 13/1/11 by dilley]

austin man

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
not sure it depends how long ago you had it done and what the guarantees was. Not a lover of powdercoat as rust creeps underneath it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

dilley

posted on 14/1/11 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
It was only done about 8 weeks ago!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm should last longer than 8 weeks!! Especially if keep inside!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/1/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they didnt use a product from BOOTS the chemist like avon or mabelene face powder to coat it.

[Edited on 14-1-11 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
mine had a little surface rust (just what you'd expect on stock steel) and it was just blasted then coated

its now sat in the garage for 5 1/2 years and there is no rust on it anywhere (I know, I need to get the finger out....)
and thats despite the odd leaks in the garage roof....

-

Strontium Dog

posted on 14/1/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I blast and powder coat my own parts, although I wouldn't do a chassis as I don't believe it is the best thing to use. I have left stuff outside for a year in a damp shed and it has not show ANY sign of rust and sytill looks like new when you wipe the condensation off. Something must have gone wrong with the coating you have IMHO!
chunky2772

posted on 14/1/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had my chassis plastic coated its a little more exspensive to have done but gives much more protection.
Powder coating shouldent be rusting after only 8 weeks! Are you sure theyve blasted it if they havent blasted the chassis the existing rust that was on it will work its way through the paint and it will start lifting. Weve had this problem at work we made some gates and painted over the rust the paint dident last long on it before the same thing was happening.

dilley

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have just had a thought on this, I am going to approach the coaters this week, question is, I think they will probably agree that the finish is rubbish and that they will do it again. So who is going to cover my time stripping and rebuilding?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.