Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Build
Markymark

posted on 18/1/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
New Build

Hi All

Been on the fringe of this site for a while, but now there is some progress I thought I'd put a post up

1: Chosen engine, Alfa V6

2: Chosen gearbox, Mazda RX8

3: Mock up of gearbbox adaptor

4: Adaptor plate made

5: Gearbox lined up

6: Just a cut out for the slave cylinder required

(See pics in arcive as they come out way too BIG when posted)

Must learn how to resize, but gripped by the techno fear

All connected by a Galaxy friction plate and Alfa pressure plate

All opinions welcomed (but not always heeded)

Regards Mark

steve m

posted on 18/1/11 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
All very nice, but that engine and gearbox will be looking very silly in your garage without a chassis, wheels, body clothing it

So whats it going to be ???

invisible ?

mookaloid

posted on 18/1/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
nice work - how do you work out how to do the adapter plate, how do you make sure length of input shaft is correct, clutch parts which gearbox to choose etc etc?

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

i_froloshki

posted on 19/1/11 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there, would you tel me if it is a push type slave or pull type, because i have a lot of problems finding a pull type, there is only one wilwood that i found so far. Thanks
Yavor

designer

posted on 19/1/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Resize your pictures with:

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Markymark

posted on 20/1/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments

In answer to your questions

Slave cylinder is standard RX8 push type, using alfa push type clutch cover

As to chassis/body engine and gearbox are off to Steve at Fisher Sports Cars to build me a chassis for it on Saturday, then modified Fury bodywork.

As to mookaloid's question it all started with the engine, had to be Alfa, had to be V6. Started looking at various 'boxes, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall etc. then I drove an RX8 and thought what a sweet box it had, checked out the ratios and they seem pretty good. Saw 1 cheap on e-bay and bought it.

Then came the fun part, started by just offering up box to engine for size, seemed a pretty good match up size wise, then drilled a hole in a piece of MDF the size of the spigot shaft, stood the box on its end and drew round it. Then offered that up to engine and marked holes.
Once cut out this was trial fitted and measured

Adaptor mock up
Adaptor mock up

It was only then I realised that I had forgotten the starter mounting, so started again

Once the mock up was made and a clutch plate found by looking in the National clutch catalogue and checking specs, I could work out how close I needed the box to be to the engine.

Clutch assy
Clutch assy

I used 16mm Alloy and got 6mm machined off the bell housing, so the clutch plate sits on the shaft in the right place. With counter sunk bolts into the engine side. All cut by hand

Adaptor plate on engine
Adaptor plate on engine

With no spigot bearing ever being fitted to the Alfa V6, I have designed a bearing carrier that mount on the fly wheel and locates in the end of the crank.

To make sure it ran true I fixed a DTI to the flywheel face and measured the run out, with great difficulty through the hole int the bell housing.
The closest I could get is .3mm (I hope this is going to be ok! there is plenty of movement in the spigot shaft anyway). I then drilled and dowlled into the gearbox face to locate it.

These are the wheels I am going to use (100 build points to whoever identifies them) as they only cost £15 the set just need to get the centres machined out a bit!

Alloy wheel
Alloy wheel

Thanks for the link designer (I hope this works)

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.