Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 oil level?
*AL*

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
R1 oil level?

Hi firstly a big hello to the forum users, my name is Al and although i don't own a Locust BEC i do own a MAC#1 bec with the R1 engine. I believe both bodies are very similar.
My question is: when the engine is cold, where should the engine oil level be in the sight glass?? I've been googling and have been finding conflicting views.Mine at present is at the lower edge of the sight glass which i think is low, where should the oil level sit when cold, thanks in advance. Al.

A1

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
to the top.

which year is it?

oh, and welcome!

[Edited on 21/1/11 by A1]

StevieB

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about not having a Locost - probably more people on here have Mac#1's, Indy's, Stuart Taylor, MNR's etc.

All essentially the same thing anyway, just put together a (slightly) different way.

R1 do tend to burn through a bit more oil than other bike engines. I've always gone with keeping the oil at the top of the sight glass with the engine running. A little over filling will be OK as it'll burn through it soon enough anyway (just don't kick the arse out of it )

Is your engine fitted with a sump baffle?

Davey D

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
On my 5vy 06 engine it is above the sight glass when cold. When its warm and running it is just below the top mark
*AL*

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a Q plate 2004, ex TT R1 engine, magazine featured in 2004, running 305 mm front discs with 'high spec' calipers with Cosworth 2 pot calipers on the rear, Pro-tech coil overs, braided hoses, digital dash/stack, Toyos 888s, Sparco quick release lightweight steering wheel.

carpmart

posted on 22/1/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
The dogs almost look scared of the car!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

adithorp

posted on 22/1/11 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome!

Yamaha official level is, checked hot, engine off and stood for a few min's the oil should be 1/2 up the glass.
In a BEC install you need an "overfill". General consensus is hot, idling oil at top of the glass.

Has your engine had the breather modification?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

*AL*

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for the welcome. Mine does have a separate breather filter, is this the mod?
adithorp

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
In addition to the standard breater on the top of the gearbox (and a sump baffle plate) a modification to the cam cover to add an additional breather is recommended. This can be either a pipe fitting through the cover or using the AIS housings.

There's a description and pictures of the 'mod on page2 here

Gergely's failures are extreme though. Initialy with the standard breather into the airbox, I got blue smoke on hard left corners on track days. Then with it into a catch tank, I got 1/2lt of oil in the catch tank per 1/2 day. I'm now running the breather mod with both breater piped T'd together and into a catch tank and the catch tank vented back to the airbox and have no oil into the tank.

hobbsy

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
OP - you say the car is 2004 but what year is the engine?

You don't need to worry about the breather mods if its a 2003 or earlier engine, its only the 5VY 04-06 and later engines that have this issue.

Also on the bike when the engine is running the sight glass pretty much empties (engine off oil is halfway up the glass?)

The recommended (Yamaha sidecar team) overfill of ~250ml puts this up to around halfway up the sight glass with the engine running (and just over the top of the sightglass with the engine off).

Top of the sight glass with the engine running might be a bit too much (could lead to power loss or frothing if the bottom of the crank is running in the oil?)

*AL*

posted on 24/1/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

You don't need to worry about the breather mods if its a 2003 or earlier engine, its only the 5VY 04-06 and later engines that have this issue.

Also on the bike when the engine is running the sight glass pretty much empties (engine off oil is halfway up the glass?)

The recommended (Yamaha sidecar team) overfill of ~250ml puts this up to around halfway up the sight glass with the engine running (and just over the top of the sightglass with the engine off).

Top of the sight glass with the engine running might be a bit too much (could lead to power loss or frothing if the bottom of the crank is running in the oil?)

Hi thanks for the info very helpful. I believe the engine is still the same engine that was fitted by MAC in 2004, which i'm almost sure is a pre 2003 carb'd engine. I have topped up the oil as you have said, been out and had no problems with oil being spat out etc so hopefully all is well. I was looking at getting a catch tank but if i really don't need to then i won't, how can i 100% identify the different age R1 engines?

Yazza54

posted on 24/1/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Think mines at the top when running, too high?

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Yazza54

posted on 24/1/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by *AL*
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

Hi thanks for the info very helpful. I believe the engine is still the same engine that was fitted by MAC in 2004, which i'm almost sure is a pre 2003 carb'd engine. I have topped up the oil as you have said, been out and had no problems with oil being spat out etc so hopefully all is well. I was looking at getting a catch tank but if i really don't need to then i won't, how can i 100% identify the different age R1 engines?

Mines says 5pw on the thermostat housing and on the side of the motor. Doesn't yours?

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

adithorp

posted on 24/1/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
02-03 has water pipes out of the cam cover to the thermosat. 04-06 hasn't got those pipes and the stat is under the throttle bodies.

*AL*

posted on 24/1/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
02-03 has water pipes out of the cam cover to the thermosat. 04-06 hasn't got those pipes and the stat is under the throttle bodies.

Mine has the water pipes out of the cam cover, so yes the earlier unit.

adithorp

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

In that case you don't need to worry about the breather (good call hobbsy)

*AL*

posted on 24/1/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

In that case you don't need to worry about the breather (good call hobbsy)

Cheers guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.