Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polishing faded paint.
bigandy

posted on 22/1/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Polishing faded paint.

Morning all.

I've got some faded paint on my Van, around where some stickers have been stuck (but now removed). I've been told that using a cutting compound and electric polishing mop should help, followed by a decent polish/wax. I've borrowed an electric polsihing mop (complete with two pads, one fleecey like, and the other is more of a towelly finish), and just need to buy some cutting compound, and learn how to use it. Does anyone know of any resources that might help me out a little?

Also, can anyone recommend a good cutting compound to use to take teh paint back to shiny new condition?

Oh, and the paint is Yellow by the way

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

ianclark1275

posted on 22/1/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
farleca G3

use lots of water spray and dont let it go dry

it will go everywhere when you do it--dont let any splatter dry on rubber seals etc...it takes ages to get off.

expect the polish head to be very yellow!

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/1/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
G3 is fantastic stuff, BUT it may be worth trying something a little less abrasive first like t-cut.
Saying that, I wouldn't bother. Who needs to be gentle (unless it is cellulose paint)

martyn1137

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have recently had to machine polish my wife's Audi TT after one of the local 'touch in the stone chips' guy managed to plaster the whole car in a fine mist of laquer overspray. Unfortunatly we left it with him to do while away for a couple of days thinking we might get a better job. End result a car with paintwork feeling like sandpaper all over.

My local trade body shop suppliers were very very helpful. Came away with sealey electric polisher, selection of mops and 2 3M products. They suggested G3 is too aggressive for first time user and there is a real risk of going straight through the paint. Also dismissed 'T' cut and were dubious about electric polishes from Halfords! But they would I suppose.

The whole lot cost £150, and was absolutely perfect for my needs. Car looked fantastic, a deep mirror gloss and smooth again! I have plenty of compounds left and kit I can sell on if I want in the future so cost not as bad as it seems. Depends what you want to spent really.

I will U2U the 3M compounds when I go to the store over the garage later.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn1137
They suggested G3 is too aggressive for first time user and there is a real risk of going straight through the paint.

Unless you have extremely delicate paint or are utterly cack handed I don't think this is the case. I've been using G3 with a rotary polisher for years, and it takes a long while to remove any significant amount of paint. As long as you don't lean hard on the polisher, keep it moving and keep it moist (ooo err) you are most unlikely to do damage.

thunderace

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
i would use colormagic or g10 ,there is no way i would let you use g3 on any car if your not trained how to use a mop.you will swirl the car and cut through the paint on the edges.most valiters ill do it for you for around £40.
mid-buggy

posted on 23/1/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Using G3 (or similar like 3m fc) will leave holograms behind.

G10 has a lot of fillers (glaze/oils) and will mask (hide) the holograms/swirls to an extent, these will apear after a few washes.

If you want it done properly, pay or learn. (if you go the learn route, expect it to be expensive).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.