Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitcar Magazine
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Kitcar Magazine

Picked up a copy of Kitcar whilst in the airport heading out to Germany the other day and have to say found myself a little uneasy, if that's the word, when reading it. For instance there's a two page spread advert on the Pilgrim Sumo which states "Pilgrim is back under the management of its founder, Den Tanner. His sizeable financial investment means that almost everything is back in stock"
I find this a bit sickening as I believe Mr Tanner already has a somewhat questionable past and it's quite likely that he's written this piece himself as the publisher of the mag and owner of Pilgrim. Talk about blowing your own trumpet. There's also a full 1/3rd of a page of the man himself grinning away at the Stafford show 2010, talk about loving yourself.
There's also a graph of sales number compared against 2 other magazines which was taken from 2009 figures and has claims written such as "....Kit Car magazine is the.... most pertinent and therefore arguably the best publiction in its field.....is more in tune with the needs of the whole industry. Is it any wonder that Kit Car Magazine is up front in more ways than one."
It kind of sounds like the writer's making a public reply to some personal argument they've had and sounds really like something a child would write like my Dad's bigger than yours!
Most worryingly is the "Seven Replicas Review" they have published. Get onto the MK Indy and they've put a "BUYER BEWARE!" title at the bottom and a paragraph stating "...there are a few companies in the kit car industry which are financially unstable. We're afraid that this might be one of them if what they've said to us is taken at face value.".
Now I'm a not myself a fan of MK based on my own experience of a purchase I made but I'd question whether MK would make a statement on their financial future to a magazine and if it is true then I suspect that there's a few people who will be a little worried right now.
No, I'm afraid i didn't like the magazine at all. It comes across biased and almost untrue in places and very much as someones personal soapbox. I'll stick to CKC thanks which is a lot more friendly and although again a little biased I think is more reader focussed.
Interestingly enough I found a quite decent sized Locostbuilders advert in Kitcar Magazine though

deltron63

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I stopped reading it a while ago, It's got more repeats than "DAVE"
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah. I've not picked it up in years but it's all they had besides "women moaning", "women gossiping" and "women bitching about so called 'celebrities" weeklies.
I'll not be picking it up again in a hurry either. A lot of politics there I think.

se7en

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had a subscription to both magazines until Mr (I love myself) Tanner started printing numerous pages about how his magazine is so much better than the other by the number of pages of editorial it has compared to the other. It was like listening to a schoolboy bumming how he can pi$$ higher than the others in his class. Between that and running short on funds I cancelled both subscriptions.

Mr Tanner gives the impression that he is the Bernie Ecclestone of kit-cars.

Tom

scootz

posted on 22/1/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
It was the first kit-car magazine I ever bought. I was shocked at how amateurish it was and all the sh*t-slinging that went on in it. Tried it once or twice since and my thoughts remain!

It's Evolution Baby!

Humbug

posted on 22/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
No comment on the mag, but didn't he re-take over Pilgrim ages ago?
matt_gsxr

posted on 22/1/11 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Get PPC instead, good production values (even if they can't use a spell checker).
simonwinn

posted on 22/1/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Deff go for ppc and ckc. Kit car has been full of reprints for at least a year.
kj

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
I seen it on the shelf yesterday and thought wonder if they are still doing re-prints, oh yes.
I remember a while ago Mr Tanner slagging of Filby from which kit car for being involved with the cobra based on a BMW i think it was part of RV developments, yes Mr Tanner you are a Tool, do the right thing a stop producing the mag or do it right.

Richard Quinn

posted on 23/1/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've picked up two copies of Kitcar mag in Sainsburys in recent months. The politics, p*ssing match and all other b*ll*cks I can take but I was really irritated by the fact that the "News" section in Oct '10 was identical to that in Dec '10. That, plus the page suggesting that's where other kit mags finish when it is obviously just a huge padding exercise just annoys me. Same articles, same features, same news, same adverts. Even the classifieds are out of date!
AndyW

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have to agree too, far too many repeats. I occasionally have a quick look through when in Tesco, but as soon as I see the same old sections promoting Pilgrim I just put it down. I have not actually purchased a mag for a while but when I next do, it will not be this one. I have never brought the other kit mag, so perhaps its time to make the chage.....
rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Even the classifieds are out of date!

I phoned about a car advertised about May last year that had been sold through an ad in Kitcar well over a year before even though the seller had informed the mag several times that it had sold. Wonder if it is still advertised? It was a yellow GTM if anyone has a later edition

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/1/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
No GTM in the classified towards the back this issue.
So, is it actually true does anybody know about MK Sportscars being in trouble? I'd be bouncing off the wals if I were them and how come this site has an advert with this mag? It'd be interesting if Chris had to pay for it?

Ferg

posted on 26/1/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kj

I remember a while ago Mr Tanner slagging of Filby from which kit car for being involved with the cobra based on a BMW

To be accurate though, Den Tanner's argument with Peter Filby wasn't his involvement with RV, but the fact that he pushed it by using references to it's performance, handling and finish before a car had even been finished. Not something he's ever done with Pilgrim to my knowledge.

I do think that his magazine's style is poor though. I read CKC...

richard

posted on 26/1/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion Mr Tanner is just a rip off merchant, only ever picked u pa copy in the past few years to flick through and always same o same o crap from the year before with out of date facts and specs.
CKC get my vote and money every time, the other bi monthly comes a lond second and Mr Tanner not even in the running.
Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dickie b

posted on 26/1/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Agree entirely - Kitcar magazine (if that is what you can call it) is an utter pile of unreadable tripe.

Repeated content, padded with adverts, nothing new to say, ancient ads, thrown together with no effort whatsoever.

You would think that the success and professionalism of Complete Kit Car would make Mr Tanner raise his game.. but oh no.

Just the same old shite month after month. Lord knows who actually buys it - I doubt many people do, so probably just supported by advertising revenue - so a money spinner that does nothing for anybody apart from Mr Tanner's bank balance.

Utter rubbish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.