Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Easy outs at Aldi on Thursday £4.99
zilspeed

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Easy outs at Aldi on Thursday £4.99

Seems like a deal to me.

One of those things I always mean to get for the toolbox.

Easy Outs

[Edited on 23/1/11 by zilspeed]

coozer

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
i was in there Frida night, they had spanners and tap & dies sets and other little hand tools.. sorry forgot to post!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

v8kid

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Bought the easy outs last year they were sh1te. just blunted at first try - did not even get one broken stud out.
Of course they may have changed their supplier this year! Ditto the taps and dies although I did manage to cut one thread and the tap and die holders are handy to use with quality taps and dies. Strangely I have found the drills to be excellent!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Easyouts are the work of the devil. All that happens is that instead of having a sheared bolt to drill out you get to try and remove a sheared bolt with a sheared (and rock hard) easyout stuck in it (which is twice as difficult).

The best thing to do is drill the hole for the Easyout as directed, then chuck the easyouts in the bin and carry on manually drilling the bolt out

Or do the weld-on-a-nut trick.

Just my experience anyway!

DaveFJ

posted on 24/1/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Only easy outs i have ever had any joy with are the splined shaft type like this:

It's what we used to use in the Army when working on helicopters, Looking for a set myself so if anyone know where you can get them...

[Edited on 24-1-11 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

r1_pete

posted on 24/1/11 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Easyouts are the work of the devil. All that happens is that instead of having a sheared bolt to drill out you get to try and remove a sheared bolt with a sheared (and rock hard) easyout stuck in it (which is twice as difficult).

The best thing to do is drill the hole for the Easyout as directed, then chuck the easyouts in the bin and carry on manually drilling the bolt out

Or do the weld-on-a-nut trick.

Just my experience anyway!

Mine too, stands to reason really when you think about it, if a stud is locked up enough to break its say 8mm diameter, you put a 6mm diameter extractor down it and expect it to exert enough torque to free the stud, whilst its taper spreads the stud locking it tighter.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 24/1/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Mine too, stands to reason really when you think about it, if a stud is locked up enough to break its say 8mm diameter, you put a 6mm diameter extractor down it and expect it to exert enough torque to free the stud, whilst its taper spreads the stud locking it tighter.......

They can be useful if a fastener has sheared due to e.g. over-tightening or fatigue rather than corrosion.

wicket

posted on 24/1/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here they are, not cheap though

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/prod_8323/drill-and-driver-bits/hss-imperial-jobber-drill-bits/rothenberger-stud-extractor-set-3/16in-5/8in.html />

and here, a bit cheaper

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=7108959

and here

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=162218
[Edited on 24/1/11 by wicket]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.