Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 12v to 5 v resister?
omega0684

posted on 24/1/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
12v to 5 v resister?

Afternoon all,

the oil pressure i need to use for my digi dash only requires a 5v supply. The connector has 3 terminals, one for the 5v supply, on to earth and the other connects to the digidash via an analog input.

how do i control the voltage travelling to the sensor from the 12v ign supply, i'e what resister would i/do i need?

oh, and where can i get one from? Do i just connect the resister in series to the power supply wire connected to the wire?

All the best

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Madinventions

posted on 24/1/11 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I don't thank that a resistor is the ideal way to do it. You need a '3 terminal regulator' such as a 7805 which will reduce the 12V down to +5V. The 3 terminals are +12V in, +5V out, and ground. The 7805 can supply a current of around 1A. I've got a box full of them if you want me to post one up to you?

Ed.

[Edited on 24/1/11 by Madinventions]

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

omega0684

posted on 24/1/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
ed u2u sent

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 24/1/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Surely be easier to get a traditional oil pressure sender that enables the Digidash to measure resistance to ground, thus requiring a single wire?
MikeRJ

posted on 24/1/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
Afternoon all,

the oil pressure i need to use for my digi dash only requires a 5v supply. The connector has 3 terminals, one for the 5v supply, on to earth and the other connects to the digidash via an analog input.

Surely if this sensor is the one required by the digidash, the dash would provide a 5v reference supply for it?

martyn_16v

posted on 24/1/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
What Mike said. If there's a difference between the actual voltage output from your external 5V source and the dash's internal 5V reference then the reading the dash tells you won't be entirely accurate (although to be fair it'll only be out by a % or two which is probably moot for most users).
plantman

posted on 24/1/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
ring digi dash up they were brill when i couldn't get my revometer to work had to use 1k resistor told me exactly how to wire it etc
britishtrident

posted on 24/1/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Might be able to tap a 5v supply off some of the other sensor on the engine (eg throttle position sensor)
However I would probably cannibalise a cigar lighter to USB converter rather than build from scratch.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.