Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
R1 or zx10?

What are the pro and cons of each?

I am looking to source an engine but which is the best and why? I will be using it purely for track days.

Yazza54

posted on 28/1/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Can't speak for the Zx but my 5PW R1 is light, compact, apparently reliable, around 160 bhp in BEC setup with power commander with plenty of torque and not too long a 1st gear for a car. I'd say there are more R1 engined cars out there than ZX10 which may be for a reason.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

brookie

posted on 28/1/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
well i been in a zx10 and that was 148bhp at the back wheels and that was quick not been in the r1
Hellfire

posted on 28/1/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
...........I'd say there are more R1 engined cars out there than ZX10 which may be for a reason.

The R1 was launched in 1998. The ZX10r was launched in 2004.

Comparing like for like 2008 models, I'd say the ZX10r is slightly better than the R1. It produces 170bhp compared to the R1's 162bhp, the throttle response is sharper and the clutch is smoother. Whichever engine you ultimately choose, you certainly won't be disappointed.

Phil

chunky2772

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would go for a zx10r ive been on both of these bikes and the zx10r is a rocket. A lot of racers say the zx10 is to much of a hand full on the track (far to responsive off the throttle) but ideal in a kit car. If you have a bike licence go and test ride both and i'll put money on you picking the zx10.
Ive put A gsxr 1000 k8 in mine the bike itsself will wheelie of the throttle in 4th and 5th gear its an easy sump modifacation on the gsxr dont know how easy zx10 is to do mods to do.

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
zx10r is lighter and smaller than the R1, so stock airbox fits under the bonnet.

Lots of experience on R1's which makes it easier to buy off-the-shelf engine mounts, but if I were doing it I would go zx10r.

Richard Quinn

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
It also depends on what diff you have / can get. Due to the final drive on the ZX10 you would need to be looking at a Sierra 3.14 or Freelander diff whereas an R1 would be ok with one of the more plentiful / commonly used diffs.
Major Stare

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
Can't speak for the Zx but my 5PW R1 is light, compact, apparently reliable, around 160 bhp in BEC setup with power commander with plenty of torque and not too long a 1st gear for a car. I'd say there are more R1 engined cars out there than ZX10 which may be for a reason.

+1 from me.

The 5PW is a 2003 engine, new engine are more expensive, so depends on budget.
The 5PW only needs a sump baffle plate when fitted to a car to make it track/road worthy.

Jon "FISH"

chunky2772

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you plan to keep the car for a few year i would use a zx10r lots of people are using honda,yamaha,&suzuki engines this will make these engines sort after with kit car owners.
Your car will be diffrent from others and a replacement engine will be easyer to get your hands on.
I would check how easy it is to do a sump mod on it though

INDY BIRD

posted on 28/1/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
zx10r no sump mods req really and good power only down side as said is 6th gear final drive a 338 will be the diff required.

314 is to much and makes it less punchy, about 125 mph + in top,

was as quick as a zx12r easily as very light,

cheers and good luck

chunky2772

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like indy bird knows what hes talking about! My car has a 4.1 ratio diff 6th gear flat out and it only does 100mph but it will beat most things of the mark i recon its got a 0-60 of 3.5secs.
bigrich

posted on 28/1/11 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I;m biased towards the ZX. it needs a tall diff as said, i run a freelander unit in mine 3.21 ratio. This gives 69mph in 1st and an indicated 137mph. It will easily pull 6th gear from 25mph and just keeps on pulling. you can drive it like an auto above 30, just leave it in 6th.

Add a power commander and a TRE to give full power in the first 3 gears and the jobs a good un.

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 29/1/11 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
lol I had a feeling i would get a responce something along theses lines.....It seems to be a case of horses for courses and personal preferance.

My personal choice would have been gixxer1000 k8/k9 seem to make very good power with power commander. I have heard that the zx10 gearbox can be fragile(i have no idea)

I had a conersation with Malc at yorkshire engines today. He had offered me a 2006 R1 the last of the 20v lumps I believe, says wiring is very simple and very compact. So I went with his advice.

But thanks to everyone that replied.

Yazza54

posted on 29/1/11 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh, whichever you get.. It'll be mental

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

INDY BIRD

posted on 29/1/11 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
i put 280 bhp through the gearbox on the zx10r and had no issues with it, that was 127 1b torque

as said either will give you a smile thats all that matters,

good luck keep it light and it will be quick, think on a r1 you would get aroud 120 mph+ with a 362 diff & 15" wheels etc

so how fast do you want to go, after 130 the 7 styles do struggle aero wise anyway, have fun

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.