Author: Subject: Complete Kit car Mag'
TPG

posted on 13/2/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Complete Kit car Mag'

Bit late this month? Any news?
trextr7monkey

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah , thinner with more adverts!
(Well that was my perception from a quick scan in Smiths)
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Talon Motorsport

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
wait till the 18th.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pehaps it should be renamed 'incomplete kit car'?
Still better than recycling old stories ala Total (sh/k)itcar.

Or are they all as bad as each other and should taken as they are.

ashg

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
had mine 2-3 weeks ago i would ring them its out the 3rd friday of every month.

quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
atb
Mike

anything to back that comment up? it really hacks me off when people slag ckc off without any grounds to back it up other than an off the cuff ill informed comment. i read it cover to cover every month and dont recall any reprints or an increase of adverts and its always the same number of pages.

ckc are the sponsor of all the major kitcar shows that everyone attends and enjoys, without the sponsorship money that is generated from the low percentage of on subject adverts they publish, there wouldn't be any shows. what would you prefer no adverts or no shows? as i can assure you its where all the advertising money goes!

having met the ckc team several times and wrote the odd article for them now and then. i can honestly say i have never met a more dedicated bunch of people. they are dedicated to the magazine and more importantly totally dedicated to the kitcar scene/industry, trying to ensure its future by constantly aiming to push it more and more mainstream to lure newcomers to the scene.

i refrain from comment about other magazines but ckc are certainly not the bad guys and the mag is always a good read along with my other ppc subscription.

[Edited on 13/2/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

MakeEverything

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I bought PPC today for the first time......

Im a bit disappointed that it has a large spread on the mercedes estate on steroids that we were all talking about three weeks ago, Project Phoenix which is a cut and shut Audi Quattro, a rather sparse Rolling Road directory, and a review on (wait for it) socket sets.

When i used to own classic cars, the old classic car magazines (Particularly the MG and Mini ones) always had interesting build diaries and loads of technical tips. The magazines nowadays dont really seem to have much. Maybe im looking for too much?

Anyway, im still looking for a magazine to subscribe to (About cars!!).

ETA: some of the technical guides are interesting though.

[Edited on 13-2-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

BenB

posted on 13/2/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit I've given up on the kit car (and now PPC) mags.
Kit cars mags were just a build followed by "and it drives like it's on rails" (IE no tech / engineering talk) whilst PPC is loads of arsing about with cars but nothing ever getting finished- got enough of that in my own garage. Must admit our own finest PPC contributor is quite funny though
BTW what happened to Ed? Is he buried in Will's garden? Very strange. Perhaps he's locked in the back of the yank tank?

hillbillyracer

posted on 13/2/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I aint read any of the rivals in a while, getting on a year but I do still think PPC is among the best, on the other hand some of the minus point listed above are fairly valid! Not finishing projects is the big one, & a bit more insight into the technical side of things would be good. On the other hand when reading it you get the feeling it's written by blokes who just enjoy mucking about with cars in the same way we do, there's a comic angle to much of it & I like that, I want to be entertained!
I dont see much dispointing about the Merc estate, I enjoyed the article & the discussion on here had no effect on it. I'd rather they found interesting cars like that in this country if they're to be found but I've little against featuring stuff from elsewhere either & there's been some good stuff in PPC from Sweden. They seem to breed fairly nutty petrolheads up there!
The quattro is no cut & shut though, a proper re-shell (though I'm curious as to how they sort the ID, registration etc)
ED has left PPC a few months back, could have been to work for a mag about American stuff.

I've not read any kit car mags in along time, just not enough different things to keep me interested!

skydivepaul

posted on 14/2/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
bring back CCC!
best car mag of its time, and also in the track and race car guise.
always had lots of build and tech info including kit cars

have not found a suitable alternative as yet

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

trextr7monkey

posted on 14/2/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

quote:
atb
Mike

anything to back that comment up?
[Edited on 13/2/2011 by ashg]

Er yeah, quite a bit actually, we took out a sub at one of the shows a few years ago, after a few issues I kept getting a sense of deja vue- same ads - [yes I know they keep production costs down and for the occasional purchaser they maybe a god send, but repeated every month it is just filling space,we all have the web for ordering stuff anyway]
Also lots of the editorials were thinly veiled visits to the advertisers, the for sale sections were full of ads which were displayed every month until they sold...., there was even a blke dismantling decent kits to build a new one!

In the spirit of being pro active and not just grumbling tomy mates I contacted the mag with my observations along with some items I personally thought would help to improve it, in fairness they listened, said they would beef up on the technical stuff and the "how to..." , and try and include more regional news ( what's happening in Scotland this month? )they offered me a refund and asked if I might pen the odd bit of input. I said I would hang out for the rest of the subscription to see the improvements, I'm afraid I didn't see massive progress so didn't renew.
They contacted me via an e mail recently to see if I wanted to give it a go, we discussed our points of view and agreed to differ.
We do subscribe to Classic Ford and Private Eye and read both cover to cover so thats where my cash is going.
I agree with your comments re staff and enthusiasm but the mag does need to improve, in my opinion
atb
Mike

AdamCKC

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
...and, to answer the original question, it's not late this month!

It comes out on the third Friday of the month (which, as Talon said, is the 18th). Same number of pages as usual

[Edited on 14/2/11 by AdamCKC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
amalyos

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
bring back CCC!

2nd this, really miss Track and race car.......

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

adithorp

posted on 14/2/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...after a few issues I kept getting a sense of deja vue- same ads - [yes I know they keep production costs down and for the occasional purchaser they maybe a god send, but repeated every month it is just filling space,we all have the web for ordering stuff anyway]
Also lots of the editorials were thinly veiled visits to the advertisers, the for sale sections were full of ads which were displayed every month until they sold....,

So your complaint is that (kit car related) companies place adverts every month, the articles in the mag are about kit cars (and therefore involve some of the kit car related companies) and people re-advertise thier cars in the classified section untill they sell?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

TPG

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
No.Where I was going was, With most magazines the "Months" issue comes out towards the end of the preceeding month . Fo rexample the issue with Febuary on it normally comes out in late January and so on......Clear as mud eh?
AdamCKC

posted on 15/2/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TPG
No.Where I was going was, With most magazines the "Months" issue comes out towards the end of the preceeding month . Fo rexample the issue with Febuary on it normally comes out in late January and so on......Clear as mud eh?

I've been in this game a decade and it's never been clearly explained to me.

However... as I understand it, our March issue will come out on the third Friday of February. That means it will still be on sale in March, and therefore it will always look in date (or ahead of its time) during it shelf life.

QED, no?

TPG

posted on 15/2/11 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes,Thats where i'm at. Where is the Febuary issue? I have the January copy. I'm trying to find a picture of the Febuary issue front cover to see if I can question the family on where it is..... I've not seen it in the shops and the CKC website is still showing Januarys.

..Which was nice..

Macbeast

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Bought in W H Smith about 10 days ago.

TPG, if you U2U me your address I will post it to you.

[Edited on 16/2/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Miketheconn

posted on 16/2/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
February's has been on sale at Knutsford services for the last few weeks but I didn't buy it because I was convinced I had a copy at home. Just checked and its Januarys. I'll pick up a copy on my travels.

May I say I realy enjoy the technical articles and I stock pile the magazines (much to my wifes anoyance) in case I need to refer to them at a later date. If I ever get off my arse and do something that is

trextr7monkey

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
...after a few issues I kept getting a sense of deja vue- same ads - [yes I know they keep production costs down and for the occasional purchaser they maybe a god send, but repeated every month it is just filling space,we all have the web for ordering stuff anyway]
Also lots of the editorials were thinly veiled visits to the advertisers, the for sale sections were full of ads which were displayed every month until they sold....,

So your complaint is that (kit car related) companies place adverts every month, the articles in the mag are about kit cars (and therefore involve some of the kit car related companies) and people re-advertise thier cars in the classified section untill they sell?

Aldithorp: Yeah you are getting the picture there!
Why pay for the same ads every month etc
Why do you want to read an article about some kit car dealer beside a 2 page ad of his current stock which then... ahem, appears in the article as well?
BTW Did you use that plastic we handed over at the White Swan?
atb
Mike

TPG

posted on 17/2/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Macbeast. I'll contact the office now though.I'm on sub's. I was in the same state of mind as Miketheconn

quote:
Originally posted by Miketheconn
....... ...it because I was convinced I had a copy at home. Just checked and its Januarys.

I needed to know what I was missing.It has been late a couple of times in the past but turned up and of course,then I have realised its late.This is what happens when your on extra nights.Your thought train is mashed.

..Which was nice..

AdamCKC

posted on 17/2/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
TPG, give the office a buzz on 01903 236268 and they'll get it sorted. For future reference, it's due out on the third Friday of each month so as a subscriber you should receive it on (or sometimes slightly before) that date
adithorp

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Aldithorp: Yeah you are getting the picture there!
Why pay for the same ads every month etc
Why do you want to read an article about some kit car dealer beside a 2 page ad of his current stock which then... ahem, appears in the article as well?
BTW Did you use that plastic we handed over at the White Swan?
atb
Mike

Milke, It's Adi not Aldi... although given the number of thier cheap tools around the workshop and cheap biscuits consumed around here (there's a store next door) I can understand the confusion. ...and I've never been to the White Swan so you've definatly confused me with someone else

I'll agree that there is a regular repeat of articles about visits to a particular KK dealer, but thier rather eclectic stock does make interesting viewing. A little more focus on the details of the rarities might go someway to offsetting the underlying advertisment value as for as readers are concerned. Journalistic integrity is always a trade off to staying in business though and our subscriptions alone won't keep Adam in a job

My copy arrived yesterday as it happens. Nice Fury pictured in the "advertorial" for the CKC/Omex trackday

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

TPG

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamCKC
TPG, give the office a buzz on 01903 236268 and they'll get it sorted. For future reference, it's due out on the third Friday of each month so as a subscriber you should receive it on (or sometimes slightly before) that date

Thanks,I'd done this on Thursday midday.Febuarys back issue and new March issue,annnnnd the Teeshirt arrived next day.Hows that for service?

..Which was nice..

kj

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just got this months, check the ad on the back page, thats all i;am saying
Alan B

posted on 19/2/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
bring back CCC!

Agree 100% mate.....I loved triple C....best magazine ever.....(that was about cars, obviously...)

Alan

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.