Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost in France
SeanStone

posted on 14/2/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Locost in France

In the near future I could be moving to france. Are there any complications taking a uk registered locost to france? Anyone aware of any insurance or legality problems?
James

posted on 15/2/11 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
You're joking right?

I don't envy you the task!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=150394

Cheers,
James

MikeCapon

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi. It's not complicated at all. It is quite simply impossible. Well, very nearly.....

For a vehicle to be registered over here there are four possibilties.

1 It is a mass production vehicle and has been homologated for the french market.

2 You have a foreign vehicle and the identical model (must be the same constructors reference on the existing logbook) has previously been homologated. You can then register your car. I believe for example that certain models of Caterham have been homologated. Stiil a good few paperwork hoops to jump through.

3 You put the vehicle through the french equivalent of IVA. You thought IVA was bad. The french 'reception a titre isolee' is near to impossible and very dear.

4 You manage to persuade the FFVE (an independent sort of club for ancient cars/bikes) that your car is a collectors car. I believe it needs to be at least 30 years old.

Get your Google translate button ready! Here are a couple of links for you.

FFVE

French LSIS forum

It's not for nothing that any kind of seven with a french logbook is worth a lot of money here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sergebelg

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
it's better to keep your car registered and insured in UK !
T66

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
My mate has lived in Brittany for 5 years...

His Jeep remains UK registered, it gets an mot & tax when he comes this side every year.

MikeCapon

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Serge is right to a certain extent.

If the car is registered in your name though you will still fall foul of the obligation to register the car in France after 6 months and on top of that not all insurance policies will allow the car to stay out of the UK indefinately.

If your car is subject to MOT you'd need to take it back every year for the test too..

If the car is registered in the name of a UK resident with a UK address you could possibly keep it over here. I don't know how the french authorities, or the insurer for that matter, would establish that the car has been here for over 6 months.... "It got here yesterday Mr Gendarme".. In the case of a serious problem you would probably find yourself needing to supply some kind of proof. A ferry ticket? Do they have the reg number on????

The MOT problem would still exist though and you'd need to tax it. There is no road tax over here. Which is nice.

Yet another can of Euro-worms.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
When I had my 'bump' I had to show the Gendarmes when I had entered France.

I had my ferry ticket in the car which they took as proof.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I think the situation in France is tragic - in the early part of the 20th century that country was in the forefront of vehicle and light aircraft design. Now, they're so bound up with regulations that such innovation is impossible.

James

posted on 16/2/11 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon

2 You have a foreign vehicle and the identical model (must be the same constructors reference on the existing logbook) has previously been homologated. You can then register your car. I believe for example that certain models of Caterham have been homologated. Stiil a good few paperwork hoops to jump through.

What if you told them that your Locost (or whatever) was a Caterham? Would anyone in the French authorities know the difference between a Caterham and and other smart looking LSIS?

Or do they check your v5?

If they do check the v5 then I suppose that if you knew you were exporting the car when you built it here you could register it as a kit built Caterham? I'm pretty damn sure I could've got away with that when i registered mine.

Alternatively, in a country such as France, where they'll happily set fire to full sheep transporters, riot/strike at the drop of a hat, tie ropes from cars to speed cameras to trash them... can you not just bung the relevent person a brown envelope and the problem goes away?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeCapon

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon

What if you told them that your Locost (or whatever) was a Caterham? Would anyone in the French authorities know the difference between a Caterham and and other smart looking LSIS?

Or do they check your v5?

If they do check the v5 then I suppose that if you knew you were exporting the car when you built it here you could register it as a kit built Caterham? I'm pretty damn sure I could've got away with that when i registered mine.

Alternatively, in a country such as France, where they'll happily set fire to full sheep transporters, riot/strike at the drop of a hat, tie ropes from cars to speed cameras to trash them... can you not just bung the relevent person a brown envelope and the problem goes away?

Cheers,
James

They will be looking for a Caterham VIN plate with a chassis number and prefix that correspond to the ranges of numbers supplied to them by Caterham. On top of that only certain engine types have been homolgated here. The K series Caterham has been homologated for example. This is as far as I know from the french LSIS forum. Although I can't profess to have read every relevant post on there because reading legal jargon in french does my head in...

So it's down to the bung. As in every other country in the world this works fine when there's just one official in front of you. Offer a gift of encouragement to one while his colleagues are watching and you will hear screams of self righteous indignation. Followed by the click of the handcuffs.

IMO the best option is to try the 30 year old car imported trick. Clearly this is a little difficult with a turbo'd Hayabusa for example but could be playable with a crossflow engined Locost?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.