Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Frothy diesel at injectors
LoMoss

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Frothy diesel at injectors

Hi

Just changed the fuel filter on the LDV with a duratorq engine after it coughed and sluttered a bit. Got it primed and it ran for a minute or so ie to park up. Now it wont start and I cant get any pressure at the injectors, just frothy diesel. I am not convinced the filter is a good fit.

Any thoughts please.

Does this pump have any issues?

Thanks in advance

Moss

martin1973

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
air getting in somewhere
did it knock when u started it

martin

LoMoss

posted on 16/2/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Done a bit more investigation and the primers not drawing up fuel. It also does not seem to have much pressure.

[Edited on 16/2/11 by LoMoss]

ashg

posted on 16/2/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
sounds to me like there is still air in the pump. crack the pipes on the injectors stick some rags around them and crank it over. nip the injectors back up and try to start it again. has never failed me yet.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

LoMoss

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
sounds to me like there is still air in the pump. crack the pipes on the injectors stick some rags around them and crank it over. nip the injectors back up and try to start it again. has never failed me yet.

The pump is not giving any pressure it should spray all over the place when I do that.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoMoss
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

The pump is not giving any pressure it should spray all over the place when I do that.

is there a bleed valve on the pump too though?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 16/2/11 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
There is a small yellow plastic bleed valve on the filter head, open this and use the hand pump until the filter is full, don't be afraid to spill some to make sure the filter is properly full, then open all the injectors or at least or as many as possible and crank until you get diesel at the injector.

What makes you think the filter isn't fitted correctly? It does only fit one way and they normally feel quite positive when they go fully home, if it's not right you won't manage to turn the locking collar fully.

The duratorq has well known issuses with the injection pump and a new pump is about £700

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

coyoteboy

posted on 16/2/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pinhole in the primer? This wouldn't necessarily leak, but would draw air in before the pump, allowing it to be turned to froth?

(No idea about the engine, just working through the thought processes).

[Edited on 16/2/11 by coyoteboy]

LoMoss

posted on 16/2/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
The last time I changed a filter, fuel sprayed everywhere under pressure from the loosened injectors. Not getting that this time.
After some internet surfing some hints are....
1. have at least 1/2 tank of fuel
2. Fill filter twice, ie let it settle then top up
3. suck fuel through filter and pump
4. bump start
5. they are notoriously difficult to prime.

Davie: £700 its more than the vans worth. Had running problems and changed filter, got it primed and it ran for 5 mins. So either more air into pump or pump knackered!

Coyote: Had the primer to pieces and can find a fault there

mad-butcher

posted on 16/2/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you smeared the O ring with diesel when you fitted new filter. My bannana transit was the same after a filter change, used to have to tow it to get it started but after initial start never missed a beat

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoMoss

posted on 16/2/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its running now. Topped tank up with 35ltrs and pumped the primer like a mad thing. Run around the block and it seems ok

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.