Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats maximum zetec oil temperature?
will121

posted on 24/2/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
whats maximum zetec oil temperature?

what is the maximum recommended oil temperature for a zetec, im running 5-30 fully sythetic oil without a oil cooler, but on a recent track day was running 120degC which seems high but have heard zetec like higher temperatures.
thinking of fitting a oil cooller matrix or try a water/oil cooler base which fits before filter as

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/2/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
What did your water temps get upto?

The only reason i ask is that vdub corrado (i know its not the same) had a water oil cooler and the oil was 10deg warmer than the water all the time(had a dig gauge on the dash for oil temp), i would reg get 110 deg water temp and the oil would sit at 120 and so if your hitting those sort of water temps that type of cooler will give you oil temps as above (ish)

will121

posted on 24/2/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
What did your water temps get upto?

The only reason i ask is that vdub corrado (i know its not the same) had a water oil cooler and the oil was 10deg warmer than the water all the time(had a dig gauge on the dash for oil temp), i would reg get 110 deg water temp and the oil would sit at 120 and so if your hitting those sort of water temps that type of cooler will give you oil temps as above (ish)

water temp is on a digital gauge and stayed around 80degC although external air temp was only 3deg!

britishtrident

posted on 24/2/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
120c isn't that high but oil-water heat exchangers are a good idea not only because they cool the oil but because they get the oil up to working temperature faster.
Generally aim for oil temp 5 to 15c higher than the water temp.

Modern engines are to be designed to run at water temps roughly 90 to 105c controlled by the thermostat and fans.

An oil thermostat is pretty essential with a air-oil cooler, as cold oil kills engines a lot faster than hot oil,

[Edited on 24/2/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.