Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know anything about inflatable boats?
tegwin

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know anything about inflatable boats?

Any of you knowledgeable people know much about inflatable boats?

I quite fancy getting something that I can use to potter around the coast and explore the various things there-in... Not expecting it to handle big waves...But some waves would be nice.

Not lived by the sea before so fancy a "toy" to play with for a few months.. will sell it on when/if I get bored of it.

Only issue is that I cant fit a towbar to the car, so it has to pack up into the boot...

Have a budget of about £1000.... so far found a couple of Zodiac 1st generation inflatables with newish 10hp outboards....

Any thoughts, am I being optomistic in terms of the capabilities of this sort of boat?

Any idea where to look for second hand boats/engines for reasonable money?

[Edited on 25/2/11 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

tomgregory2000

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing i would take an inflatable out on is a river, to go out on the open sea i would be looking at no smaller than a 4m RIB with a 30-40hp outboard or a 14ft speed boat.
I used to have a 14ft speed boat with a 70hp outboard wich i used to rag round the solent and it was scary in a bit of chop and almost flipped it once plus it would do 50L of petrol and hour flat out but it was fast.

I would keep your grand in your pocket.

Second hand Avon is going to be the best, they are well built boats, also if you do get one get one with an inflatable keel and floor as flat bottom inflatables will get blown clean sidways with a bit of breeze as there is nothing sticking down to stop them

[Edited on 25/2/11 by tomgregory2000]

Andybarbet

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Great fun, i had an 11 foot Humber inflatable with a wooden floor/transom, inflatable keel & a 15hp outboard, used to poodle up and down the Norfolk broads in it and do a spot of fishing.

Would fit in the boot of a big car but had to fold the seats to get the outboard in too. I used to leave it on my father inlaws 6 berth motorcruiser which was moored on the broads & use it when we visited them.

Not sure what size outboard you would need to give it some welly on the sea but they are very stable.

Unfortunately when my ex wife left me, i never managed to get it back from her dad

[Edited on 25/2/11 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

plantman

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
OOOH we use to have a 20hp yamaha on a12ft ish humber and we could ski behind it!!!!! we had bracing bars between the wooden floor and wood mounting of the outboard & had to sit someone small at the front to stop it flipping over!!! caught spiny dogfish, 3ft + pollack and raced 20miles from mull to fingalls cave no problems.
On Coniston water a friend had the same setup on a zodiac which would see us off!!!

JoelP

posted on 25/2/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
a fully inflatable boat is, as said, a bit crap for power and waves. A rigid-inflatable (RIB) has the solid base to make a stable base for powering over waves, with the inflatable bit for buoyancy. We did quite a fun RYA course in powerboats.

You might be able to find something that would go on the roof, with the outboard in the boot.

Or, have a laugh and make one yourself. I made a canoe that looked more like a coffin

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/2/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
we had an inflatable one of these, maybe a few feet longer (in black) with a 75hp mercuary engine on it for the diving

Bi%chin thing it was too and went airborn over waves but not used in really rough stuff. Was prone to getting damaged loading it on the trailer or on rocky piers so we glued thick rubber strip all round which helped. Best to leave it inflated when not used and covered to protect from UV

Needed 4 people to lift it and could not go on a car roof, a trailer was the only way to handle it really

[Edited on 25/2/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alowry

posted on 25/2/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Zodiac make some great boats we use some of their inflatables for rescue in the fire service. I've a bit of experience using various inflatables & ribs, i've my R.Y.A advanced ticket & various powerboat for rescue courses, most of which were done in smaller ribs or a 4m zodiac or avon. You'd be surprised at the seas they can cope with! Inflatables are perfectly cabable in the sea provided you're sensible about the conditions you take them out in. Get yourself on a R.Y.A course, they dont cost a lot & you'll pick up some useful skills & advice. If you're just going to potter about the coast at the very least check the inshore forecast & tide tables, get some distress flares & a marine band radio.

Adam.

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/2/11 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Before you go playing about in the sea, check out the RNLI website for some good information. Make sure you follow the safety guide lines.
You would not believe the prats that launch from here, thinking it is just like a lake, only bigger.
No life jackets, no radio, no flares, no anchor (if the do have an anchor, it's usually on twenty feet of rope), oh but they do take beer and the kids.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Chippy

posted on 25/2/11 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Most, if not all, of the RNLI inshore boats are inflatables. Our local one is "about" 12 feet long with a 15 HP out board. As has been said above, life jackets, flares, hand held VHF radio, (waterproof one), and anchor are essential kit. Check the local inshore forecast, be sensible and you will have a great time. Been boating, (at sea), for around fifty years and just love it. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

alistairolsen

posted on 28/2/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Id contest the thoughts on inflatables being incapable. In appropriate conditions something like a fastroller (or more modern eqivalent) with the inflatable rigid floor is a pretty decent compromise and will plane two up with a 10hp engine (more likely 9.9) and would certainly be my choice given the boot/towhitch constraint.

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.