Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where can i get joint covers for tripod driveshafts from?
mads

posted on 26/2/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
where can i get joint covers for tripod driveshafts from?

we were about to dismantle the tripod rear driveshafts i've got and when looking in the haynes manual, it says to cut the joint cover with a hacksaw, thus needing a new one. have looked on the net for these but can't find them. rang local motor factors who came up with nothing other than offering refurbed driveshafts.

so where can i get these from? i dont mean the rubber gaitors but the metal cover that goes over the bearing housing.

you must be able to get them from somewhere if there are companies refurbing driveshafts. refubred driveshafts are £70+ a side!

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

austin man

posted on 26/2/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
you can get kits from ebay which stretch over the CV joint they are universal fitting and come with a cone that you stretch the rubber over. I can recomment them as this ids what I have fitted to 4 shafts to date. You do need a good grip and to use s bit of elbow grease to stretch them over the joint

LARGE UNIVERSAL STRETCH CV JOINT BOOT & FITTING CONE on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 18:43:14 GMT)

[Edited on 26/2/11 by austin man]

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

deezee

posted on 26/2/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Did you try Ford?

mads

posted on 26/2/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
you can get kits from ebay which stretch over the CV joint they are universal fitting and come with a cone that you stretch the rubber over. I can recomment them as this ids what I have fitted to 4 shafts to date. You do need a good grip and to use s bit of elbow grease to stretch them over the joint

LARGE UNIVERSAL STRETCH CV JOINT BOOT & FITTING CONE on eBay (end time 04-Mar-11 18:43:14 GMT)

[Edited on 26/2/11 by austin man]

thanks but those are the gaitors, not the metal joint covers i am after.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

bbwales

posted on 27/2/11 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I managed to get a full set from my local Ford dealer, comprised of the metal covers, the rubber boots and the clips to hold the boots onto the shaft and cover.

Try speaking to Ralph (stores) at Evans Halshaw in Wrexham 01978 365585

Regards

Bob

Flamez

posted on 27/2/11 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
You can remove them by using a small chisel on the the lip and replace by using a ball peon hammer to reseal. There are o rings inside that make the seal.

my build mac1motorsports

snapper

posted on 27/2/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ford parts department.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

dave

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Is this what you are looking for Linky

Westfield will sell you the individual parts shown.

mads

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
cheers folks. just rang them but parts department is closed.

Dave - those are for the bolt-on driveshafts, but I'm after the push-in ones. Thanks anyway though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.