Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sunday pre-checks to weld on Monday
tug

posted on 27/2/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sunday pre-checks to weld on Monday

Hey,
I think I am happy with the final version on my chassis.
It isn't for a locost, but since you guys build your cars from scratch this seems to be the appropriate place to post.

I just need to do more X-ing in between the ladder, beside that I think I am ready to start welding on Monday.

For the tubes I was going to buy 60x30 thickness 3 for the rectangle bits. Diameter 48.3 thickness 3 for the roll over cage. For the rest tube diameter 30 thickness 2.

I was thinking of maybe changing the 60x30 by 35x35 thickness 4.

All the tubes I am buying is for construction, I've been recommended that many times. Seems like "exotic" steel is really really expensive and hard to weld for noobs as I may just heat it up too much and weaken it :s

Miks15

posted on 27/2/11 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Looks interesting, and dont worry about it not being a locost, Plenty of people are doing different things and we all love to see it!

And ideas on body shape and engine (I see youre doing a hybrid?) choices?

Cheers
Mikkel

CNHSS1

posted on 27/2/11 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
if its intended to compete, another door bar per side to make an 'X' would be better, as a frontal impact will push the front cage to chassis end bars back casusing the front cage leg to buckle backwards, in turn pulling the roofline of the cage downwards.
Nice work though by the way, i juts about manage pencil drawings on bits of paper!

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

blakep82

posted on 27/2/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
looks interesting
might just be how you've made the drawing, but consider making the rear hoop from 1 peice of rolled steel, same for the 2 bars that go from the roll hoop to where your feet are,

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tug

posted on 27/2/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mikkel

quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
if its intended to compete, another door bar per side to make an 'X' would be better, as a frontal impact will push the front cage to chassis end bars back casusing the front cage leg to buckle backwards, in turn pulling the roofline of the cage downwards.
Nice work though by the way, i juts about manage pencil drawings on bits of paper!

On the side I was thinking about making a "Y", an "X" would be too intrusive.

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
looks interesting
might just be how you've made the drawing, but consider making the rear hoop from 1 peice of rolled steel, same for the 2 bars that go from the roll hoop to where your feet are,

For the roll cage, it is designed to be in 3 pieces(so one on each side, and one around the back)..bending a couple times a huge tube should be fun, I'll order a few extra meter of tubes

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Looks interesting, and dont worry about it not being a locost, Plenty of people are doing different things and we all love to see it!

And ideas on body shape and engine (I see youre doing a hybrid?) choices?

Cheers

It is an hybrid, with Yamaha R1 with an HiPer AC50 motor (about 120Nm and 60hp, for the electric motor). I've heard that hybrids would not pass registration in the UK. So I may go to the US for that, will see.

blakep82

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
ah cool, just from the drawing it looked like some of the bends were seperate, and looked like you'd be welding them in, which i wouldn't do

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tug

posted on 28/2/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've been talking to few people that make chassis, I pretty much have the GO from everybody..

BUT !

I'm supposed to do it at the university as a school project (m.e master) , but all the supervisors are on vacation (we are on a break). So the build is delayed a week...time to do more c.a.d-ing

coyoteboy

posted on 28/2/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really not keen on that A pillar/floor setup - IMO that's asking for death in a frontal impact. It's going to fail in bending on the "A pillars" and on teh chassis rails, where it'll rotate inwards and crush the occupants with the dash/steering etc. If this is for any sort of testing with a real occupant I'd really re-consider that.
tug

posted on 28/2/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I'm really not keen on that A pillar/floor setup - IMO that's asking for death in a frontal impact. It's going to fail in bending on the "A pillars" and on teh chassis rails, where it'll rotate inwards and crush the occupants with the dash/steering etc. If this is for any sort of testing with a real occupant I'd really re-consider that.

I don't get what part of the chassis you are talking about. The "A pillars" are part of the roll cage.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.