Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto - lack of revs
sooty

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto - lack of revs

Std 2.0 ltr Pinto with 32/36 dgav Carb

I struggle to rev more than 4000 rpm, checked plug gaps, ign timing and fuel mixture.

Any clues why I'm struggling and what to check further.

thanks

karlak

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I had a very similar problem which turned out, in my case, to be a very restricted air filter setup. Removed the air filter and it would rev out.

[Edited on 27/2/11 by karlak]

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

mookaloid

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
slipped cam belt?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

austin man

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
will it rev when stationary above that figure or is it when your driving, this will point to different reasons

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mark chandler

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I,m with slipped cam belt, if it goes one way you get a perfect idle but no power or revs.

Non interference engine so no worries

RichardK

posted on 27/2/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
If it has always done this? and you're using the mechanical (standard) fuel pump but with no plastic diamond shaped spacer in between the block and pump flange this causes a very similar issue.

If it has just started doing this, then I'd be inclined to agree with a slipped cam belt.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Check the valve clearances , too tight will cause problems, check for full throttle , restricted fuel and air supply , siezed auto advance mechanism in the distributor which is common on Bosch distributors , can be checked with a decent strobe light and check the coil is the correct type for the ignition system you are using.
sooty

posted on 28/2/11 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies,

I think I've found the route of the problem, Checked Cam timing - correct, checked igbition timng - correct, checked pump gasket - correct, checked Carb jets - incorrect. The primary and secondary main jets had been changed by the previous owner by fitting oversize jets of 155 & 140. This most likely causing over fueling.
Ordered complete new set of jets as per Haynes manual.

I will check out the Dizzy and the valve clearances as suggested.

As for the Coil how do I determine if I have the correct unit, I believe the circuit is Inductive as its uses a Motocraft 83BB 12A199 B3A module.

Thanks

[Edited on 28/2/11 by sooty]

sooty

posted on 2/3/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
As for the Coil how do I determine if I have the correct unit for Dizzy, it uses a MotoCraft 83BB 12A199 B3A module.

Should I keep this system or change it to a Points circuit. ?

Thanks

sooty

posted on 3/3/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted new jets as per the Haynes Manual for a 32/36 dgav-

Mains - Primary and Secondary 130
Airs - Primary 165
Airs - Sec 120

Ign Timing set 8degs for Super Unleaded

Plugs gaps checked

Valve Timing correct

Now its worse than before, hesitates more applying throttle for power, still struggles to rev over 4K rpm. If I slowly give throttle it will rev up to 5500. But if I give it wellie to fly, it splutters/spits in carb and struggles. But Revs OK stationary.

Cone filter (clean) fitted in front of rad then hose to empty pancake can on top of carb, checked if getting full throttle.

Next is check valve clearances.

How do I know if I have the right type of ignition coil fitted.

If the Jets are incorrect for a 2ltr, from your experience what would you advise.

Thanks

rusty nuts

posted on 4/3/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any markings on the coil? Have you checked that the timing is advancing correctly? try advancing the timing by ro9tating the distributor , if the advance mechanism is stuck then the engine will rev higher at the top end but will idle faster
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 4/3/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
The first thing I would do is replace plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm.

I once had a Granada that did this, it eventually poured enough unburnt fuel into the first silencer box that when it ignited it blew the silencer to bits...

RichardK

posted on 4/3/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a lambda bung welded into your exhaust, If you have I can lend you my Jaw AFR meter, you really could do with finding out how rich or lean she's running first just so you can rule that in or out.

Have you tried blanking off the dizzy vac then and just running at 15 degrees static advance? Maybe worth a shout, I know a few that run them this way so can't be too bad.

quote:
Now its worse than before, hesitates more applying throttle for power, still struggles to rev over 4K rpm. If I slowly give throttle it will rev up to 5500. But if I give it wellie to fly, it splutters/spits in carb and struggles. But Revs OK stationary.

Sounds very much like over fueling symptoms, are the spark plugs black and sooty, sooty??

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 5/3/11 by RichardK]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sooty

posted on 12/3/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
OK

Checked:-

Ignition Timing
Valve Timing
Carburation etc.
Renewed HT leads
Renewed Plugs
Renewed Dizzy Cap
Wiring connections Module to Coil/Dizzy (all correct, but several joints (but all connections tight) by previous owner)

Managed to check the colour of the spark from the coil, by holding the coil HT lead approx 5mm from earth and turned engine over.

Colour of spark is Orange, which I believe is a weak spark.???????

Also read somewhere, ford use a Ballast resistor either on the coil or have a Ballast wire to the coil, but has no ballast on the coil or not knowing if the feed is ballasted.

Do I need a Ballasted coil by either way or can I use a straight high performance 12v coil. ???????

Any suggestions of which coil I should/could use with my inductive dizzy and 83BB12A199B3A Module setup.

thanks

RichardK

posted on 12/3/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I may still have my old coil off my pinto set up, I'll take a look tomorrow mate, my donor had that dizzy and amp.

Cheers

Rich

RichardK

posted on 12/3/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Still think it sounds like its running rich, have you a lambda bung in your exhaust? Are the plugs black and sooty have you tried it using static advance as per my last post?

Cheers

Rich

Andy D

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Something you could also check. I know from experience if you turn the engine over with the dissy cap off, one of the cap retaining clips can drop in and jam the trigger wheel. The trigger wheel turns on the spindle, and when the ignition is timed up, the rotor arm isn't nessesarily adjacent to a plug lead segment in the cap. It could well be running OK untill the vac advance moves the rotor further from the segment.

Hope that makes sense.

sooty

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rich

Sorry nothing in the Exhaust for sensor.

Did try smaller jets as in Haynes book of 130 jets primary and secondary, but was worse.

So went back to jets already in carb 155 primary 140 secondary from previous owner.

But as you mentioned rich mixture, the power valve diaphram is faulty with suction test not holding, awaiting new unit.

As for static advance, it makes little effect advancing in 2deg increments to 14 degs with strobe.

thanks

RichardK

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh ok, was gonna suggest I lend you my afr meter, cos at the mo we're not sure if if its ign or fuel (or both)

plan b then...

jacko

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Use a timing strobe light and check it is advancing to 34-36% at 3000rpm-3500rpm
you say it is set at 8% that seems a bit low set it to 10 -12% without the vacuum pipe on if its hard to start the engine back it off a little

What happens if you pull the choke on a small amount will it rev better or [ choke up ]

sounds like fuel problems to me is it getting enough fuel to the carb is the pump working ok
sorry if you know all this
Jacko

sooty

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jacko

Will reset timing as you suggest and check advance at 3.5k.

But the 8deg comes from the Haynes for 97 super unleaded.

No choke flaps etc fitted to try choke as suggested.

thanks

adithorp

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the valve clearances yet?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RichardK

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, I know, it also says that every 4th tankful should be leaded! Give what Jacko says a whirl, I would say a little higher but start low and work up, something in my gut is saying fuel to me though. Either that or wind!

We'll sort it sometime.

Cheers

Rich

sooty

posted on 12/3/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
OK thanks,

I'll have ago tomorrow, but what about the colour of the spark 'Orange' is that OK. ??

thanks again

RichardK

posted on 12/3/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be more interested in general colour of the ceramic and electrode area of the plug, is it a nice chocolate brown colour rather that the colour of the spark itself tbh. Is it a nice fat spark though? Just needs to ignite fuel thats all.

Cheers

Rich

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.