Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bit of a crappy week
eddie99

posted on 4/3/11 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a crappy week

Hi Guys,

Havent been on here much the last week. Done 1300 miles since Friday getting the 5JJ R1 back in the Global GT ready for testing on Tuesday... Fitted Race Tech datalogger and dash, accusump and also half fitted a flatshifter system. Got it all ready over an extremly long weekend. Took it to snetterton but had a disaster...
Was first time round a proper track, only driven it at an airfield before so was taking it careful, went out first lap, came back in to check no leaks etc.. etc... Then 3 laps later, bang clutter clutter clutter....

Cut a long story short, it dropped a valve

Shows that our 5JJ engine has been a shitter, first time out... Gearbox went, now this...

So we've had alot of options, rebuild... etc.. But after alot of chatting with Andy Bates...

I've gone for a new hopefully more reliable engine... 2008 ZX10R.... Hope to be picking it up next week and back in within 2 weeks, ready for first race in 6weeks time...

What a shitty stressful and expensive week, but hopefully it will be the cheapest option in the long run.

Would just like to thank Andy Bates, dropped in there on the way back from Snetterton and hes managed to turn around a package on very quick notice

Well theres the update

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Benzo

posted on 4/3/11 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
he certainly hasnt let me down on timescale before... good man to work with, i always have my bits ready in time for raceday
Yazza54

posted on 4/3/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Would it not have been much cheaper and easier to drop a 5pw in?

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Heather

posted on 4/3/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hi ,

Good choice

Hopefully you won't be unhappy with the ZX10r engine, we have been running ours now for the last 3 seasons in RGB and it has proved to be a strong engine and really competative.

Stuart_B

posted on 4/3/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
it will be worth it all edd, least it happen with 6 weeks left to race

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

eddie99

posted on 4/3/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Yes hopefully it will be the best decision and luckily we did have 6 weeks
Had a look at various options, Andy said if your staying R1 to go for 05-06 but after he rung around, there were no packages available at quick notice. Yes it might have been easier but its just fabricating the engine mounts and probably getting a different size chain. Andy has done a package on the 2008 ZX10 with less than 2000 miles for £200 more than a 05-06 R1 would have cost. So getting the whole billet sump, powercommando etc.. of him next week sometime
Anyways, all the bodywork is off the car, seat out, exhaust off, electrics half disconnected.. Ready to take engine out tomorrow

Also Andy reckons that the 08 ZX10 is not much off the pace of his highly recommended 08 CBR and will make the current R1 look slow. So lets hope

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ko_racer

posted on 5/3/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice.

After the problems both me and my team mate have had with the 04-06 5vy r1 in globals you've certainly made the right choice.

Where you racing this season? We are hoping to be out at a few 750mc meetings this year.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gavin174

posted on 5/3/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer
Good choice.

After the problems both me and my team mate have had with the 04-06 5vy r1 in globals you've certainly made the right choice.

Where you racing this season? We are hoping to be out at a few 750mc meetings this year.

Ed is doing the 750MC bike sports series..

where abouts in herts are you,

we are on a very big learning curve and any pointers on set up etc would be gratefully received..

cheers Gavin

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

eddie99

posted on 5/3/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yup as gav has said... i'll be racing in 750MC bike sports and some allcomers meetings....

Engine and loom is all out, stupid graham hathaway has done all the wiring in white wire, so redoing the loom while we are at it Look forward to a long weekend next weekend, redoing the cooling down the side this week and probably getting a new header tank... The more apart the car comes, the more i want to change it.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

ko_racer

posted on 7/3/11 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
We're in Welwyn, hertfordshire.

If you need any info just drop me an email, you can have my tel no if you like. Haven't go a huge amount of setup data from recently as we've had so many engine problems driving has been to the minimum but will help where i can.

We found that setup was quite different with a more powerful engine, we also found that the radial tyres behaved much better for us than the corssply ones. We're both from karting background and found them much more like kart tyres in the way they behave. Probably don't need to tell you but the camber setting for radials is quite different to cross ply setup

All the looms on the original globals had white wire, for some reason the comapny who made them all thought it was a good idea. I can see no advantage other than cost, and even that is hardy anything considering the amount that were made. I ripped mine out straight away and re-did it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.