Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sold my car on e-bay advise needed.
yozza

posted on 9/3/11 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sold my car on e-bay advise needed.

Hi all
To cut a long story short, Cambelt snapped on my 607 hdi, put it on e-bay for spares or repair and a Lithuanian, yes, Lithuanian guy bid £1040 for it. Very little communication from him and no sign of payment, so far, as i expected! I get an e-mail after 5 days saying he is looking to collect from Birmingham, i live on Merseyside and have no intention of going anywhere with the car,no reply from him.
Today (7 days after the auction ended) i get a few phone calls. First call, a guy says he is a friend of the buyer and wants to collect the car, when i ask about payment he asks for my bank details. I asked him to use paypal and he says ok i will be in touch. Second call, guy says he is the buyer and will be collecting the car in a few days, all the calls came from UK mobile numbers. I explain the car will be not be going anywhere without payment either on collection or prior to collection. Now the unexpected happens! Paypal have sent me a message saying he has paid but they are holding the funds in case of chargeback. They say on the website this may be because i have not sold anything on e-bay before or until positive feedback is recieved, proof of delivery etc.
So, do i let him take the car and hope there is no dispute or just forget the whole episode? Am i being overcautious? Who in their right mind would pay this much and transport it to the back of beyond? Incidentally i had 3 e-mails from a guy in Cyprus offering to collect the car if i would end the auction early. Any advise, relative to the above questions would be much appreciated, advise on anything else, feel free!!
Thanks in advance
Joe

blakep82

posted on 9/3/11 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
can you be sure the email is actually from paypal, and not a fake sent by the 'scammers'? i say scammers, because who really buys a car (in any state) without looking first?

tread with caution i say.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevebubs

posted on 9/3/11 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Simple..make it clear that you won't release the car until the funds have cleared.

If Paypal are holding the funds, they haven't cleared. Ergo no car.

Put the onus back onto the buyer to release the funds.

morcus

posted on 9/3/11 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
What he said, no money, no car.

This whole thing seems very weird and slightly unsavoury to me and in your position I'd probably walk and just email him saying the deal's off. It just sounds like some sort of con to me, with some classic scam alerts like asking for your bank details, multiple people phoning, asking you to go on stupid journeys (Where they can mug you).

It's up to you but I'd walk.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Flamez

posted on 9/3/11 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Log into your paypal account o see if funds are there to ensure not fake email..

my build mac1motorsports

Ben_Copeland

posted on 9/3/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Paypal will hold large funds for new sellers. They did it to me first time.

Just refund it and tell them to bring cash. Otherwise paypal charge you their percentage for the transaction too.

No cash, no car and beware of Lithuanians they are masters of knocking money off things they buy, I work with one.

Infact what's the buyers name? I might know him lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/3/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Just sounds a typical scam, you normally get these when putting your car for sale on the web

Someone offers you some stupid amount way over what its worth then comes out with mad payment and pick up schemes

Ignore them totally and any correspondence

Never give them any details, bank, phone or your address

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost

posted on 9/3/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Paypal

Just ring Paypal and tell them you are not happy with the transaction to date. Ask them to verify that they are happy where the money has come from and whose account. Get them to contact the buyer (or the person who owns the account) more importantly and make sure all parties are happy.

Never rely on them to do the correct thing they won’t.

You will end up having the money whipped out your account when it gets reversed.

If they are collecting get them to bring cash.

Reverse the transaction.

James

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 9/3/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
cash on collection. don't be a fool it will bite you in the ass. they want it they can jump through the hoops.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

tony-devon

posted on 9/3/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
paypal funds can be taken back up to 2 or 3 months after the transaction, dont ask me how I know!

just tell the guy to wee off, report it as non sale with Ebay.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

westf27

posted on 9/3/11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
currently selling an Audi A3 on Pistonheads and Auto Trader.As seems to be the trend loads of enquiries from Latvia and the like.All the usual and aforementioned excuses for payment through Paypal.

Remember these people have no interest in buying your car.The sole purpose of communication is to get access to your paypal account and ultimateley your bank

A few days ago a marine biologist off on a dive wanted to arrange collection of my car by another company.I told him to f*eck off and dive to the ocean floor and take a deep breath.

His reply was can you please advise your paypal address.

Clearly their understanding of the spoken word is limited

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've sold a couple of cars on e-bay.

The following has worked for me:

paypal deposit (£100 is enough) within 48hours
cash on collection for residual
no bidders from outside UK

If in any doubt then cancel it and start again, any real buyer will make the effort.

I'd say call it all off.

Matt

MikeFellows

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
the lithuanians and polish come over here and buys massive amounts of parts for cars and damaged vehicles (one of my customer is a huge salvage dealer). the exchange rate makes it much cheaper for them to get car parts over here.

just refund the paypal money and ask for cash on collection.

I dont see the issue then.

edsco

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly, agree with everything has been said before.

Secondly, i once (almost) fell into the trap of having multiple people contacting me on behalf of the buyer. Why doesn't the buyer call me? Not like he didn't speak english when i supposedly spoke to them.

Thirdly, if you do get to the position of having to count out a large amount of cash i.e. cash on collection, do it on your own terms. Retreat to a warm comfy environment where you can focus on counting money. Do it in front of the buyer as well. In the same incident as already mentioned, i had a group of lads that wouldn't stop firing questions at me whilst they all took fistfuls of cash out their pockets. It got the point where one guy would hand you what he said was £2k, turns out it was £1800 etc and just kept going circles.

I put a halt to it all, handed all the cash back, found a comfy place to count it and started again. The wads of cash were laced with tenners when they assured me they were all twenties.
Turns out they had more than enough cash to pay for it....and they were genuine notes, but just looking to try pull a fast one.

If selling on eBay, I usually put on there UK only customers. This got me out a hole when the misuss asked me to sell an old horse saddle. A bloke in Germany bought it. A bit concerned i was about to be stitched up on the postage as i hadn't accounted for international buyers buying it....i emailed, explained the situation, realised his mistake i.e. UK only, and offered to stump up the shortfall in postage costs. Turned out to be a top bloke.

Beware!! Be sensible, and don't be hurried.

edsco

Jon Ison

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
DO NOT ever take payement for anything of value you cannot send/post with online tracking and signature proof of delivery.

You are wide open to having all the funds removed and given back to the buyer, all they have to do is contact paypal and claim they have not recived the item, paypal will ask you for online tracking/proof of delivery, it is the only thing they will accept, you can have photos of the guy walking off with it it wont be good enough.

stevegough

posted on 9/3/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with everything said above.

Just want to add a simple fact - A guy in Lithuania wants to buy a non-runner from you in merseyside? Come on! What are you supposed to do? - post it? Just so unbelievable.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/3/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
You never know...
Cash on collection. Job done.

I really hate paypal. Even small stuff gets me worried. Heard of buyers returning an empty envelope to get "proof of return" as paypal accept the tracking. Ho hum.

yozza

posted on 9/3/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all very much for the replies chaps.
I have phoned paypal and reversed the payment, sent the buyer a message and phoned him saying he needs to pay cash on collection, at a pre arranged time on a set date ( before 12th March). He needs to bring proof of identity and a suitable trailer/ transporter. My next door neighbour is a copper so i might ask him to witness the cash etc. You never know the guy might turn up and pay, if not i have learnt a valuable lesson.
Thanks again
Joe Hughes

yozza

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well, would you believe it?
Lithuanian guy turns up with a huge trailer this morning, bang on time. He hands over the cash (all checked ok), signs paperwork, loads car, apologises for any misunderstandings and off into the distance he goes. I still cannot believe someone happily gave me over a thousand pounds for a car with a knackered engine. I am off to e-bay to buy shiny things. Thanks once again to those who replied so quickly and helpfully, it is very much appreciated.
Joe

stevegough

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Gobsmacked! Just goes to show how it takes all sorts to make up this crazy world we live in

Have fun spending your dosh!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Ninehigh

posted on 12/3/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yozza
My next door neighbour is a copper so i might ask him to witness the cash etc.

Might be worth asking him to invite a few of his off duty friends around for beer just in case. Lithuanian or not I've heard of more than one case where the guy has come to collect the car all friendly, even waited for seller to check them, then said goodbye with the aid of a baseball bat..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.