Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vauxhall astra
david

posted on 10/3/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall astra

Just to let all you know about vauxhall,I own a i.5 year old astra, the one that the roof folds down into the boot and becomes an open top. The car in question is still under warranty. I was driving home and the car stopped. Could get no assistance from the Vauxhall garage which I bought it from and they told me to get the car towed in to them. I got the car to them and left it and as it was under warranty and thought ok will have the car sorted. The car has only 11000 miles. I got a reply from the garage which stated the the dps filter had blocked and that they could not clear it and it would need replaced. Image my anger when the garage rang me back and stated that Vauxhall would not cover the part as it was not an engine fault.The price to replace the filter £750. I got onto Vauxhall customer services and the told me that is was not doing enough miles and the start stopping was the problem. They also suggested that the car was not being fast enough driven. They stated that it was driver error and they were not responsible and refused to pay. I am having an on going battle with them but i am out £750 out of pocket. So beware of vauxhall and there warranty, not worth the paper its written on.
jacko

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
You are spot on about there warranty SH+T don't ask how i know and don't trust them to do a proper service either
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
tell them under the sales of goods act, this is to be sorted under warranty.

the sales of goods act says that any item sold should be fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time, ie if you bought a tv, 5 years is perhaps a reasonable length of time to expect it to last before it breaks.

11,000 miles is not a reasonable mileage for refusing warranty, and a car should be expected to last longer than 5 years.

i have to agree, 11,000 miles in 5 years probably hasn't done it any good, but for the case of warranty, that isn't the issue

good luck

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Do they state in the warantee or in the manual a minimum number of miles per year, or a minimum average speed the car must be driven at?
If not they cannot claim driver error as they haven't informed you of a requirement.

Sadly getting them to pay out after you've paid to have the work done is much harder than forcing them to do the work under warrantee.

All main dealers/manufacturers are the same as they all use insurance companies for their warrantee's all of which have lots of experience of wheedling out of claims on the slimmest of excuses.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mookaloid

posted on 10/3/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david
I own a i.5 year old astra,

Is that a 1.5 year old or a 5 year old Astra? if it is 5 years old then well it's one of those things. if it is 1.5 years old then get onto vauxhall as it is unacceptable.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

PhilCross66

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Knock the dps filter out of the exhaust and get it remapped to run without it, the particles it stops dont affect the mot
david

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
astra.

The car is 1year and 6months old. I am retired and do not do excessive mileage, but i drive the car on. I used to race cars and motorcycles so I am not reallly a golden oldie.
James

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Do you read 'In Gear' the driving section of The Sunday Times?

This often has people writing in about warranty problems of just this sort. I'll try and dig up last weeks copy to get details but basically they say:

Get your dealer to put their reasoning *in writing*. Get them to include that 11,000m in 18mths is not enough and the car isn't driven "fast enough".

You should then go to Vauxhall direct and forward them a copy of the letter from your dealer.

If the dealer wont write this stuff in the letter then it's because they're talking sh!t.

Manufacturers dont like the reputations being trashed over small repairs and should pressurise the dealer to sort it under warranty.

That's the theory from The Times articles anyway!!!

Good Luck!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

morcus

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
11,000 miles in a year and a half isn't exactly not using it, I drive my car pretty much every day and I've only got 7K on it in 2 years. for that matter I went to look at a ten year old focus with less miles on it than your car, by Vauxhalls logic it should have had a huge discount on it for having so few miles but the dealer didn't see it that way.

Deffinitly get everything in writing, the problem is once you've paid it's very difficult to get the money back.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 12/3/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also ask for a letter stating that you're not driving fast enough "so I can show it to the police when they stop me for speeding" not that you should expect to get anywhere with that...

The national average mileage is 12k per year so you're doing two thirds to three quarters the average? Nah not good enough they need to fix it, or at very least offer a substatial discount on it

Danozeman

posted on 12/3/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Those filters only clog because the car isnt doing a regeneration of the filter. This could be down to 2 things. Not being driven far enough for it to start a regen or the cars not doing it. Id go for the latter which means there is a problem with the car. 11k in a year and a half is plenty for the car to regen the filter.

Cars with particulate filters on are designed to sense when the filter gets blocked and burn it off. I would suggest the cars not done that which is why its blocked and the dealer dont want to coff yup incase warranty doesnt pay them. As said above the cars not fit for purpose so tell them your gonna take them for sales of goods act.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/3/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is this DPS filter the same thing that's on Peugeots where there's a filter in the exhaust around the cat area and there's a serum that's squirted into the exhaust to burn the residue off the filter to stop it clogging? So when the serum runs dry, the filter clogs and then you have to fork out loads of money?
Mark G

posted on 12/3/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Is this DPS filter the same thing that's on Peugeots where there's a filter in the exhaust around the cat area and there's a serum that's squirted into the exhaust to burn the residue off the filter to stop it clogging? So when the serum runs dry, the filter clogs and then you have to fork out loads of money?

Yep, a Diesel Particulate filter. They are now fitted to most Diesel's. Generally speaking they should last between 75,000-115,000 miles.

I work for a well known vehicle manufacturer and can tell you that I'd expect that to be covered under warranty. Understandably its a wear and tear item, but its not worn out. Therefore should be replaced at the cost of Vauxhall.

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/3/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
So it sounds like the serum has run out or become blocked maybe?
david

posted on 17/3/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
re dpf filter.

Re the dpf filter on the astra, right up till the last moment they refused to pay the £750,but an area manager heard about the tale, and informed the garage that Vauxhall would pay up, which the did..Not sure which made change their mind. I gave them a hard time on the phone. so all ended up well. Sold the car the next day and will never buy a vauxhall again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.