Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: locost method of towing a locost
Slater

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
locost method of towing a locost

For anyone that's interested here's a locost way of towing a a locost, it won't take up much room and virtually no maintenance either.

Just found it on the net... just though I'd post it up.

Linker

[Edited on 11/3/11 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

bi22le

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have done alot of research regarding towing in the UK and I think this is illegal.

There are rules inplace about towing a car and using its wheels to touch tarmac.

It must have tax
it must have an MOT.
It must be broken, non running and being recovered.

If your car is fit for use and road legal (like mine) you cant tow it on its wheels.

I was looking at getting an 'A' frame for towing but didnt in the end due to this. I dont know how caravans get away with it!

You can get around this by telling the traffic pig that pulled you over that the car does not work and that s why your towing it. AMybe even disconnect the coil or fuel pump so you can prove it dont work.

Just a thought, and I do hope Im correct!!

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

blakep82

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
^ i think you're correct too, but you do see quite a few camper vans towing smart cars and the like with A-frames when you go up and down the M6 in the summer... never noticed one stopped for it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
As said, A-frames are for recovery to a safe place only.
There are two ways to look at this:
1. You're towing a car and therefore, it has to be fully road legal.
2. You're towing a trailer so it has to comply with the trailer regs. That means that if fitted with brakes, irrespective of if is over the 750kg limit for the 'trailer' to need brakes, then they have to be proper overun trailer spec brakes. It also needs to have the correct 'plate' stating the various stuff trailers are supposed to have, as well as the correct lights and markers.

Some of those folks who are towing behind campers think that by fitting an overun brake from the tow hitch to the brake pedal, they are satisfying the brakes regs. It's not because normal car brakes aren't fitted with the reversing gubbins that are needed.

I see dozens of off roaders travelling to and from the off-road center up the road, covered in mud and battered to bits, being towed on A-frames. I've seen the BiB pull over a convoy of them butthat was to check their docs and tell them to fit proper lighting boards and number plates. Nothing was said about the use of A-frames. That must be because the BiB didn't know the rules or they couldn't be bothered with too much paperwork.

A-frames may be OK in Jo'burg though!

[Edited on 11/3/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Surely that's just a different A-frame?

And if it is, it's illegal, and I have a top of the range, brilliant one, in my garden.

[Edited on 11-3-11 by designer]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I hired one from HSS and then copied it. I use it when I need to but I usually use the trailer. Incidentally, the guys at HSS said that they couldn't confirm if it was legal to use on the road for 'general towing' so suggested I hired a trailer instead!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 11/3/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was pretty sure this was a grey area where no specfic law governs towing.
marcjagman

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
A frames are legal, dollies aren't. Something to do with being classed as a trailer.
designer

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
A frames are legal, dollies aren't??

Would like to see that written down somewhere.

MK9R

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I used a braked dolly for loads of trackdays and never got pulled. ok its grey area but I'd use one again if I didn't have the bus ,actually I'm considering getting one just for n alternative to the bus for short journeys,

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I am sure about is the flimsy tow hitch in the example shown isn't fit for purpose, fine for a camping trailler but not anything heavier.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

marcjagman

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

Not very good with links http://www.towingdelivery.co.uk/TowingTips.aspx about 2/3 way down the page.

mark chandler

posted on 11/3/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Completely left field

But it gets better. The Chevy 3.4L V6 that was installed in early '90's Camaros was rated at 160 hp in Camaro trim. The neat thing about this engine is that it is primarily a bored and stroked 2.8L and uses the same external engine accessories as the weaker 2.8L. Stalkers have been built with the 3.4L in more or less stock trim with the factory EFI, but I decided to follow the lead of several builders and upgrade the 3.4 with a Holley 4V carb, a torque cam kit, and of course, the standard Stalker tubular exhaust headers. Best estimate is that this takes the little V6 out to 180-190 hp, and sends the fun-meter needle way up the scale!

Thats a rubbish engine......

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/3/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
^ ? Duh!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RichardK

posted on 11/3/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
quote:
Originally posted by designer

Not very good with links http://www.towingdelivery.co.uk/TowingTips.aspx about 2/3 way down the page.

Prob me, but where does it say a frames are legal for normal towing? Seen the bit where it says dollies aren't though.

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

chris-g

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have read this "is or isn't" legal argument on a number of different forums. However, I am yet see anyone quote the relevant section of the road traffic act that settles the argument one way or the other. So if anyone knows which bit of the law covers it I'd be interested in reading it.
mark chandler

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
3.4 litre tweaked and only 180-190bhp.... 2.0litre zetec or vauxhall redtop get there on TB's and exhaust. without tweaks its a miserable 130bhp so rubbish!
40inches

posted on 12/3/11 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
3.4 litre tweaked and only 180-190bhp.... 2.0litre zetec or vauxhall redtop get there on TB's and exhaust. without tweaks its a miserable 130bhp so rubbish!

????????

winchman

posted on 20/3/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g
I have read this "is or isn't" legal argument on a number of different forums. However, I am yet see anyone quote the relevant section of the road traffic act that settles the argument one way or the other. So if anyone knows which bit of the law covers it I'd be interested in reading it.

Have a look here
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/12365-frames-rules.html

You may well be done under construction and use and its almost impossible to get the breaks to work at the correct design efficiencies
I have used one as an off roader towing a Jeep and as a motor trader, I will no longer use them as I dont feel I could succesfully defend my self if prosicuted for using one

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.