Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Propshaft wibble wobble
Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Propshaft wibble wobble

Today i was trying to get a signal for my speedo as the sensor on the ZZ14 is build into the sprocket cover

so had the car on rear axel stands with it runing in gear, and noticed the front section on the prop seem to have a wobble
now the prop is about 2 years old from dunning and fairbank, it might of always been like this, as i've never had the tunnel off while it's been spinning. the prop is at it's maxium travel on the slider to meet the ZZR14 from when i had the R1 motor fitted.

i've taken a couple videos to see what you guys/girls think, i'm probably worrying about nothing but i've had a propshaft let go on me before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60yN1d0ocKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERNgekPV9k

Flamez

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have the early zx10r with same speedo set up i fixed 2 magnets to the prop adptor at the enginecoupled to the original sensor via a speedo healer.

Not sure about the prop...

my build mac1motorsports

blakep82

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, i wouldn't like that. being on maximum extention probably is the cause. don't know how they're made, but assuming the sliding part is like 12" long inside, and splined the whole way down, if its fully slid in, it would have a lot more ridgidity tpo it than if only 2" was slid in.

i'd be thinking about a new prop before that lets go, or ask D&F if they can mod that one. vibration could eventually snap it

[Edited on 11/3/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

austin man

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Personall wouldnt trust it, from what you have posted it appears that the prop is way too short, if its at the maximum. I would have a new prop made specifically for that set up, if there is that much vibration it can be doing the gearbox much good. As a minimum I would have a spacer machined to go between the diff and Prop flange

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
hmm doesn't look like it's been welded straight. I'd take it off and roll it over a table to see if the CV joint wobbles, if so then it really needs sorting. Can't be balanced properly either if it's like that

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
that prop is very wrong don't drive it like that, ring dunning and fairbank straight away. I suggest you send it back to them with the sprocket adapter to get it all tested as a working unit

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/3/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
can you get a spacer to go between the sprocket adaptor and propshaft so its not fully extended?
and as blake said there will be more support on the splines of the slip joint and this might sort out the problem

johny p

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate.... do not drive it like that mate, i have a locost fireblade same was happenen with mine and eventually the front sprocket bolt worked loose and the front part of the prop sheared off at first uj, made a complete mess of back of engine... luckily i was only doing 5 mph.. thank god or it could of been alot worse...
Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Great responce on here as always

But as my mum once said, don't ask the question if you don't wanna hear the answer!

If i was to have a spacer made, it would need to be engine side, as the slider is that end and the centre bearing needs to stay where it is on the plinth

Do you think a spacer will cure it and can anyone on here make one for me?
ETA the slider does have a stopper that you unscrew to remove the front section

[Edited on 11/3/11 by Johneturbo]

Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
I have the early zx10r with same speedo set up i fixed 2 magnets to the prop adptor at the enginecoupled to the original sensor via a speedo healer.

Not sure about the prop...

I did get a signal from the spocket bolts...has to be very close thou about 2mm

Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just spoke with D&F who were really helpful, he seems to think the proplem is that's its over extended, they can modify it for me for about £65 which is a bargain and thats getting it re balanced

the downside is i've just got the engine all fitted and plumbed in

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
thats not a bad price at all and just think of it this way: its less hassle to sort the prop now than trying to sort it out after it has failed and taken out as much as it can
bob tatt

posted on 11/3/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
had a similar problem with mine though not over extended the prop adapter at the engine end was very slightly loose and vibrated like hell. Took it all off prop to d and f got it balanced it was a little out put it all back together with more loktite on threads no issues since.But i do check it regular.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.