Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ooops
dave

posted on 13/3/11 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops

Guess who didnt put anti freeze in the coolant system. Fortunatley this is the only damage.

scootz

posted on 13/3/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 13/3/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Lucky to get away with it if thats the only damage. Check all the core plugs haven't moved. Always use anti-freeze/coolant. It's anti-corrosive and lubricant properties means it does move than just stop freezing.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tomgregory2000

posted on 13/3/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
i guess you!
BenB

posted on 13/3/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Lucky to get away with it if thats the only damage. Check all the core plugs haven't moved. Always use anti-freeze/coolant. It's anti-corrosive and lubricant properties means it does move than just stop freezing.

It also improves the heat transfer so it aids cooling in summer. That's why the full title is usually "anti-freeze and summer coolant"

It's a good thing (unless you drink it ).

MakeEverything

posted on 13/3/11 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

It also improves the heat transfer so it aids cooling in summer. That's why the full title is usually "anti-freeze and summer coolant"

It's a good thing (unless you drink it ).

Wasnt it used in bootleg wine at some point?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

richardlee237

posted on 13/3/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ethylene glycol Anti freeze actually has a detrimental effect on the cooling capacity.

see extract below from Engineering Toolbox website

Note! The specific heat capacity of ethylene glycol based water solutions are less than the specific heat capacity of clean water. For a heat transfer system with ethylene glycol the circulated volume must be increased compared to a system with clean water.

In a 50% solution with operational temperatures above 36 oF the specific heat capacity is decreased with approximately 20%. The reduced heat capacity must be compensated by circulating more fluid.

Automobile antifreeze solutions should not be used in HVAC systems because they contain silicates that may cause fouling. Silicates in automobile antifreeze are used to protect aluminum engine parts.

Note! Distilled or deionized water should be used for ethylene glycol solutions.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

bi22le

posted on 13/3/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
My mate split the block on his newly rebuilt £2K rover V8 because of this. It goes with out saying he was upset!

I dont understand why people dont put anti freeze in out of principle.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

LoMoss

posted on 13/3/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Should have kept it in Pats garage like I did. 20'c for 24/7 you dont need any anti freeze.

Moss

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.