<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why scrappage was wrong
zilspeed

posted on 14/3/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why scrappage was wrong

If this is a repost, whatever.

Scrappage was wrong.

http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthread.php/12139-Scrapp age-Scheme-Grave-Yard-March-2011

PSpirine

posted on 14/3/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's just sad.

What next? Scrap your 14th century cottage for a new eco-home?

whitestu

posted on 14/3/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
That's just so wrong!
Danozeman

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Most of them are newer than what i run everyday.

Is this in the middle not a kit? Cant remember the make.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

tomgregory2000

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
the one on the left looks like a series 3, what a shame
landrovers should never be scrapped

Strontium Dog

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have been trying to explain how wrong this is since it began It is more environmentally friendly to run my 16 year old Toyota than to have a new car made just to get lower emissions that will never make up for the manufacturing processes employed.

It also breaks my heart to see the lovely classics that are to be destroyed and lost forever, but that's just another story by itself!

mookaloid

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
These should never ever have been scrapped

I wish there was a way of rescuing them - I mean I can't believe the split screen minor was worth less than £2k

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Liam

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Save that Suzuki Cappuccino!! I think I'm going to start a campaign. Or just go and rescue it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
At the time I was working at a couple of vehicle breakers saw 2 pristine Moggy thous a beetle and 3 original mini's going straight into the crusher, heartbreaking.
I bet Kia were laughing their bo££ocks off at our government.
Its the same as housing, round here they tore down streets and streets of well built terraced houses and put up timber framed rabbit hutches before the money ran out and now its just waste land. How many plasterers, sparkies etc are on the jam roll now ?
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

deezee

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Most environmental schemes are insulting. Everyone must know that recycling beats replacing. I build furnaces for a living and know all to well the energy costs in melting aluminium to make engines. Its not a drop in the ocean on the energy required to make a wind turbine. You will never recoup the energy making one of those bad boys.

Andybarbet

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
TRAGIC !!

Plus, they are mostly newer cars than our every day SAAB too, if i was informed right when they started all of this scrapage nonsense, none of these are ever allowed back on the road full stop ???

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

SeaBass

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
That was on 28dl too. I believe those are the confiscated cars due to tax / crime etc not scrappage cars.

JC

Benzine

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
o hai

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 14/3/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
As above, I doubt they are all scrapage scheme cars.
But the scheme was still wrong and very flawed.
I had a car that could qualify at the time. People said 'your car is worth less than a grand but you can get 2 grand for it.'
These stupid, blinkered sheep didn't realise that to get £2,000 for it I had to SPEND another £6,000 to get a newer, less desirable (ie crap) car that was no more economical or less poluting than what I was running. So WHY would most people fall for the stupid BS being pushed on us by the government?

Here, I will give you £2,000 for FREE*

*not free, you will have to pay.

But as ever there is usually a silver lining...

Imagine all these airfields full of everyday cars. All now off the road for ever. All have to be scrapped. We all know the most environmentally friendly way of disposing of these cars is to recycle. So perhaps the government could set up their own Ebay type auction to sell off car parts. This would have many benefits. It would keep OUR cars on the road. The money generated would go back into public coffers, so our taxes would reduce. It would set up a competitive alternative to Ebay, which would bring them down a peg or two. Maybe even get them to reduce their fees. And it would keep the scrap from being just scrapped.

Good idea or what?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

JoelP

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
theres some serious money to be made stripping parts off those on the sly. Even if you just collected alloy wheels

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mandlson, Brown, Balls and Millibands should have their faces smashed through the windscreen of every single one of those cars.
Seeing that line of Land Rovers and Jags is just terrible.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
zilspeed

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
That was on 28dl too. I believe those are the confiscated cars due to tax / crime etc not scrappage cars.

JC

Well at least that's good news.

Andybarbet

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
'balidey'

Spot on post

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

SJL

posted on 14/3/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I was working at Thurleigh in January last year whilst the company I work for had some throttle pedal problems

My colleague and I walked round all those cars and both of us were open mouthed in disbelief. After talking to the guys who load and unload the cars from the transporters with forklift trucks the site is used as the storage for all the scrappage scheme cars as there are only apparently a few breakers/crushers officially licensed to dispose of the cars from the scheme.

One of the employees told me they have been informed that they will be sacked on the spot if they even remove so much as a light bulb from a car!

It is absolutely criminal when you see the condition of some of the cars there

need4speed

posted on 14/3/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Only live a few minutes away knew it was used for fleet storage, not these cars. May have to go and have a look see what I can find
stevegough

posted on 14/3/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
'balidey'

Spot on post

Yeah - I second that, especially the bit about giving fleabay a poke in the greedy eye!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

coozer

posted on 14/3/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thank f*%$ there was no ols skool Fords there..

Nothing wrong with scrappy Landrovers, sh1t motors that tend to scrap themselves just as quick!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

plentywahalla

posted on 14/3/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The true stupidity of the people who 'scrapped' these cars is that the dealers were giving £1000 of the £2000 discount.

These dealers would have given over a grand of discount on a new car anyway, without taking part in the scheme as it would cost them the same and save a lot of vehicle transport costs and unneccessary government paper pushing.

So the real value of these classics to the ex owners was less than a grand!!

owelly

posted on 14/3/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
The scrappy next to where I was living had the right idea. He took the money the government were paying him to dismantle the cars properly but instead, stripped the ID off them and sold them to blokes that came in the middle of the night with huge car transporters and took them over to eastern Europe. Recycling!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

morcus

posted on 15/3/11 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
It does seem to have pushed the value of used cars up though. Which is good if your selling one.

I've noticed recently that there are alot less SAABs and Rovers on autotrader than there were 3 years ago.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.