Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Squeezing More from Bike Engines...
scootz

posted on 16/3/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Squeezing More from Bike Engines...

What's the general consensus on getting the most out of your bike engine through mapping?

I'm guessing that the OEM ECU's are slightly compromised due to emission requirements, but given the high-state of tune in these engines, is there really much more to squeeze out?

If so, does a Power Commander piggy-backing on the OEM ECU do the business, or would a 'standalone' like an Omex or DTA be better still? I only ask as a 'standalone' can be had for not a great deal more than the cost of an OEM ECU off eBay and a Power Commander unit.

It's Evolution Baby!

Yazza54

posted on 16/3/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Power wise I think there would be nothing in it, but a lot of standalone ecus have other functions built in like flatshift, switchable maps, launch etc which may make them worth the pennies regardless of similar performance

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Hellfire

posted on 16/3/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion it's essential to have your bike engine mapped to suit the vehicle if you want longevity. The engine breathes completely differently when its installed in a car and most bike engines tend to run lean when fitted in a BEC, which isn't ideal. It's not really a case of squeezing more power out (at least not for me) but more wanting the engine to operate at optimum performance.

Power Commanders are just one way of acheiving custom mapping but there are other units available that do the job. Personally I have had no experience of standalone ECU's so couldn't really comment.

If the engine is Suzuki, it's worth considering the FITunerPro from Healtech Electronics.

Phil

[Edited on 16-3-11 by Hellfire]

mark chandler

posted on 16/3/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines are tuned to the restrictive exhausts and air filters to maximise power, if you change the application and the ancilleries then it will definately need mapping to optimise, for myself junking carbs for EFI made it feel much faster in the earlier days.
matt_gsxr

posted on 16/3/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I am only familiar with older bikes, but they seem to benefit from a little ignition advance and sometimes from revised trumpets. UK petrol is pretty good quality compared to some of the markets that these things are sold in and air temperatures are generally fairly cool here too.

Remapping for custom exhaust and induction also makes sense.

I don't think that that are big gains to be made though as the manufacturers on the mainstream crotch rocket litre bikes have done as much as possible as these bikes are all sold on "pub bhp" claims. On other stuff e.g. Bandit 1250, st1100 that are detuned a bit then I think you could probably make better gains.

If you want to squeeze more power out, then really you want to be squeezing more oxygen in (turbo, supercharger, NOS).

Matt

TQ_uk

posted on 16/3/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can often get the stock ECU reprogrammed also, eg on GSXR, but obviously need a dyno with the right software etc
froggy

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
i gained a fair amount below 6k when i mapped my twin tl1000s it was really short of fuel low down on the stock map without the standard airbox but previous dyno sessions showed the fuelling pretty good at the top end on straight through cans and pipercross sausage filters

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Gordy

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Anbody know any rolling roads that can set up BEC/power commander in Scotland or north of England ?
daniel mason

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
gordy. am sure jdm dyno will be able to help! they are north cumbria,wokington/whitehaven area

Gordy

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
gordy. am sure jdm dyno will be able to help! they are north cumbria,wokington/whitehaven area
Thanks mate

T66

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.jdm-dyno.com/contacts.html

Gordy

posted on 16/3/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
http://www.jdm-dyno.com/contacts.html
Thanks whats a ballpark figure for rolling road setup/session anybody?

eddbaz

posted on 17/3/11 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
Aprox £150
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 17/3/11 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Gordy

Have you done any mods to the fuelling/ air etc since you got the car??

The Power commander was originally mapped by Jack Frost at Holeshot on his rolling road @ 128bhp at the wheels. Apparently this is about as good as it gets for that flavour of engine, with a power hike only really being possible by fitting a 1000rr engine- which is completely different!

On hindsight i should have gone zx12 when re-engining your car from a blade 893 as £ for £ would have been about the same! (your bespoke exhaust manfold alone was nearly £500 :-( )

[Edited on 17/3/11 by scotlad]

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

Gordy

posted on 17/3/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotlad
Hi Gordy

Have you done any mods to the fuelling/ air etc since you got the car??

The Power commander was originally mapped by Jack Frost at Holeshot on his rolling road @ 128bhp at the wheels. Apparently this is about as good as it gets for that flavour of engine, with a power hike only really being possible by fitting a 1000rr engine- which is completely different!

On hindsight i should have gone zx12 when re-engining your car from a blade 893 as £ for £ would have been about the same! (your bespoke exhaust manfold alone was nearly £500 :-( )

[Edited on 17/3/11 by scotlad]
Hi Scotlad, not changed anything on the engine, only serviced it, just thought it might need a tune-up, it's not running badly or anything. Did a few trackdays at knockhill getting down to high 58sec laps when pushing hard on clear laps, have changed a few bits on car but nothing mechanical, car's been great will need to meet up, where about in Edinburgh are you?

coyoteboy

posted on 18/3/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks whats a ballpark figure for rolling road setup/session anybody?........

Aprox £150

Really? Does that depend on the ECU, as everywhere I asked quoted £80+VAT per hour and 4-5 hours mapping time from a base map. Hence I mapped it myself.

eddbaz

posted on 19/3/11 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
Had mine mapped with a power commander by powertech took approx 1.75 hours and it was approx £150.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.