Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: de-restricting outboard
tegwin

posted on 17/3/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
de-restricting outboard

I just bought a small inflatable boat... came with a 2004 9.9hp engine. Its a 250cc 2 cyl 2 stroke....

There is a sticker on the engine block that says something along the lines of "this engine has been officially de-restricted"

This appears to be common practice to meet emissions in some countries... the engine is identical to the 15hp version they sell....

User manual says that 9.9hp occurs at 5500RPM on the 9.9hp engine.... and 15hp occurs at 6000rpm on the 15hp engine...

Now I can see a shiny tin plate between the carb and the engine block... so I assume this is the restrictor... but could there be anything else done to restrict it that might need to be removed? If I remove the restrictor will I need to re-tune the engine etc?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Peteff

posted on 17/3/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
If it's been officially de-restricted doesn't that mean it has had the restriction removed? Is it the reed plates you can see? If you remove them it will not work as there will be no crank case pressure.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Canada EH!

posted on 17/3/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
As above reed valves, don't even touch them, very fragile and required for the combustion process.
MikeRJ

posted on 17/3/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I just bought a small inflatable boat... came with a 2004 9.9hp engine. Its a 250cc 2 cyl 2 stroke....

There is a sticker on the engine block that says something along the lines of "this engine has been officially de-restricted"

In which case it should now be the 15 hp version surely?

r1_pete

posted on 17/3/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
The restrictor usually takes the form of a device to prevent the carb slide fully opening, or a reducer in the exhaust port.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry... typo... the engine plackard says it has been "restricted"... I want to de-restrict it...

Whatever mods they did to drop the 15hp to a 9.9hp can not have been too complicated. Adding a restriction on the exhaust would be very tricky... but putting one on the intake, very easy....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

owelly

posted on 17/3/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I did a Mercury engine that was restricted to under 10hp for those countries where you need a license to use a craft with anything more powerfull. The restriction consisted of an orifice plate between the carbotooter and the reed valve housing and there was a little plastic clip on the throttle stop. These were rehomed in the hedge and it went like stink!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 18/3/11 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well I went over the engine with my detective hat on and the only thing I could find was the restrictor plate on the inlet.... Teeny tiny hole in the middle of a massive opening... so that has now been slung in the bin...

Throttle checked for full travel... see how it goes tomorow when I go get it wet

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 18/3/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Lol. Go for it!
macspeedy

posted on 18/3/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
cool ! locost styleeee
tegwin

posted on 21/3/11 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Christ almighty... 15hp on a tiny little inflatable boat... damn scary... Had much fun at the weekend.. although I ache :p

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Christ almighty... 15hp on a tiny little inflatable boat... damn scary... Had much fun at the weekend.. although I ache :p

next thing will be a challenge on the blue ribbon

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

coyoteboy

posted on 21/3/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
We have a small inflateable (about 9ft long) with a 7.5hp on it and it FLIES once it gets on the plane.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.