Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No-ones buying (my) toys?
cd.thomson

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
No-ones buying (my) toys?

I post most of the stuff I sell on here first at a slightly reduced price just in case any of you guys are looking. Obviously this is a relatively small community though and its probably quite rare that I'm selling when someone else is looking to buy the same item.

My next port of call (for vehicles) is usually pistonheads and ebay but I'm having a complete 'mare at the minute! Really need to flog at least one of my toys to keep myself in school and out of the jobs market but absolutely noone is buying.

I've listed my Dax on ebay and pistonheads twice. Bearing in mind it cost me approaching 8-9k to build I've had no interest in the UK market apart from geezers who would love to take it off me "next weekend with cash" for 3k. The last time I listed it I had a minor bidding war between a guy from germany (who won the item) and another one in the netherlands which ended at a fairly respectable £5800. Weeks later he's telling me he can't pick it up until at least the end april!

Now my bike, again with multiple watchers on ebay, cheaper by about a grand than the nearest similar model and not even a phone call.

I know theres nothing I can do about it, but its incredibly frustrating when the only buyers seem to be timewasters and those looking to make a disgusting profit off me.

Any ideas?

rantrantrant

[Edited on 25/3/11 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Richard Quinn

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
No ideas sorry but you do have my sympathy! I was offered £750 for my Aries which was advertised at £6995. I asked if he had got the decimal point in the wrong place.
franky

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
buy the XE package that scootz has got listed, sell yours and fall in love with the car again

Or sell it with an IVA and get £9kish for it.

owelly

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The harsh reality is that if it's not selling, the price is wrong. I have a Transit Connect for sale at £1500 under book price but no takers. Thankfully, I don't need to sell it but if it had to go, I'd have to drop the price.
The alternative is patience.....................

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I think everybody is having the same problems, and I don't think it is going to change soon; maybe never!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
The harsh reality is that if it's not selling, the price is wrong. I have a Transit Connect for sale at £1500 under book price but no takers. Thankfully, I don't need to sell it but if it had to go, I'd have to drop the price.
The alternative is patience.....................

I get that but I do think that it is more a case of needing the right buyer and the right product in the same place at the same time so it's more the patience than the price. I still can't work out why people would think that you would entertain an offer of 11% of the asking price as happened in my case though.

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I still can't work out why people would think that you would entertain an offer of 11% of the asking price as happened in my case though.

That is ridiculous! What is that person's train of thought, perhaps:
quote:

"Hmm, I only have £750 but maybe the seller has a crack habit and needs to get his fix TODAY - worth a shot I reckon."

ETA: Patience is this guy who's had his Fury on the market for over two years by my reckoning - I saw it at Deitling in 2009!

[Edited on 25/3/11 by TimC]

owelly

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have some old crisp wrappers and some old kitchen chairs. Fancy a swap??
I understand where you're coming from so, as you say, you'll have to play the waiting game.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

MikeRJ

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Bikes in particular are very cheap at the moment; there was a very tidy 2005 Daytona 600 on eBay with low mileage for something like £2050 buy-it-now. I agonised over it for a while, as I quite fancied it but had nowhere to put it. Fortunately someone else snapped it up which saved me a load of grief!

There is a 2002 Speed Four on eBay at £1150 with 1 1/2 days to go and not a single bid, though rather higher mileage than yours.

The weather is starting to get nice however, so prices should start rising soon IME.

yozza

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
You have my sympathy selling stuff but my recent dealing with a bloke from Lithuania turned out good (£1040 for a 607 with a snapped cambelt) Without trying to hijack your thread i need the following and have the cash from the above to spend. Crossflow exhaust, alloy race tank (3 gallons or more) some on ebay but keep missing them.I am STILL looking for a garage with power on the Wirral after someone let me down, my apologies to Richard Quinn as he was interested also. I keep thinking about finishing the crossflow and maybe put a bike engine in !! If i see a cheap engine i just might do it.
Regards
Joe

kevmcdo

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yozza you have u2u.
montythemole

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Would tend to agree, had to end of trouble selling my MGB. No offers quite as bad as yours but in region in £500 for a tax and tested, tax exempt with chrome. All the guides telling me it should be worth nearer 4k or 5k I struggled to sell at half that.

To be fair time of year ain't right for toys at present. Also I've noticed how cheap 'normal' roadsters like MR2 latest model, MX5, Z3 etc are getting. Come home with an MR2 and the wife will probably wrestle the car keys off you. Come home with what she'd consider an 'ugly silly noisy kitcar' and she'd be wrestling the house keys off you and making you sleep in it.

So anyone want to buy an unregistered Tiger CAT?

1985 Dutton Phaeton Series 3 1300GT

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've just sold my Golf V6 4Motion on ebay.

Bought it for £2900 6ish months ago, spent about £550 on it and just sold it to a guy in Germany who "Says" that he's coming to collect tomorrow for £1900 Gutted.

Proper gutted, but need the money to get my wife a newer car and pay off some credit card debts so I let the auction run it's course whatever the outcome...

It's such a great car, although it had a couple of absolutely minor niggles that I sorted...

GUTTED!!!

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
How much did you want for your bike again Craig?
MikeR

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Are you possibly pricing it too cheap?

If something is worth 10k and i see it advertised for 5k, i wonder why? What is wrong with it?

(silly numbers used to make the point).

Also bear in mind we're at the very start of buying season & people are still hurting from the recession. Good luck with the sale.

Shandylegs

posted on 25/3/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
You don't know how many times I have nearly sent you a u2u about this car, only to reconsider when I have sat thought about it.

The problem is when you start factoring in potential costs of putting it on the road - new induction, ecu, re IVA - the overall cost starts to mount and that's without looking at other problems that may surface.

Owelly hit the nail on the head in that it's a buyers market. £5-6k is alot of money in today's economic climate and what it has cost you is largely irrelevant in terms of any return you may get.

angliamotorsport

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm having the same trouble trying to sell a single seater, great little car, Jedi similar, 600 gsxr, loads of newish gear on it and I have even included a covered tilt bed trailer, all for 3500K, stupid offers, stupid questions it is very depressing.
angliamotorsport

posted on 25/3/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
oops, at 3500K I'm not surprised it has not sold, should be 3.5K, the ad is ok, checked.
macspeedy

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have had my Mk up for sale for a while with the odd nibble. The price had been reduced several times.. i wouldnt like to try and work out how much i have spent on it.. but i am not worried about that, i just would like a fair price !

Hope you get a sale soon

Regards,
Mac.

Richard Quinn

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I have some old crisp wrappers and some old kitchen chairs. Fancy a swap??
I understand where you're coming from so, as you say, you'll have to play the waiting game.

Are they Walkers crisp packets?

hicost blade

posted on 25/3/11 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I sold my Westfield in 2 days to first person who looked, this was 2 weeks ago so the market can't be that bad

Maybe it's the price.............

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
To give you an idea on price, I think I'd spent £11k-ish on my MNR and I sold it in a similar state to yours for... £6300ish I think...

Daniel, if you read this can you remember?

ETA and Gordon Brown was still sha@@ing 'Prudence' and talking about an end to 'boom and bust' at the time!

[Edited on 25/3/11 by TimC]

dhutch

posted on 25/3/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Im looking at bottom end houses (need somwhere to live and the mortgages is less than rent!) and theres nothing much moving there either. Ive placed a few cheekys offers which have all be turned down, which from one side i can see, but some of these houses have been up since christmas and be reduced twice.

Nobody knows whats going to happen, so everyones being careful?

Daniel

ColinM

posted on 25/3/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just see if I've got this right.

You're trying to sell an almost completed Dax Rush with no IVA for £8-9K and can't understand why you're not getting any sensible offers, is that right?

On the basis that I am right, if I buy it (and I may be in the market for something like that), for me to put it LEGALLY through IVA I've got to take it all apart and take pics of the re-build process to prove to VOSA that I built it. Then of course put it all back together, fix any little niggles you might have missed or that I want to do different, and then pay the £900 IVA fee. And then register the car and tax it etc. By that stage the summer's gone and it's worth what £12K?

So explain again to me why I would do this?

Sorry Craig, but at that price it's well over priced. What it's cost you and what it owes you is one thing. What it's worth to me as a buyer is something totally different - maybe £5K tops.

Always of course assuming that you are trying to sell it without an IVA. If my understanding's wrong, then ignore this reply.

Out of interest WHY haven't you put it through IVA

[Edited on 25/3/11 by ColinM]

scootz

posted on 25/3/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Colin...

1. You wouldn't need to pull it apart and re-build it for IVA.

2. The IVA fee is not £900.

3. The reason it's not been IVA'd is no secret and has been covered in detail on the forum (try the 'search' function).

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.