Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: self centering fix for MK Indy?
Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
self centering fix for MK Indy?

Probably been talked about many times but can't find any info, is there a solution to non self entering of Indy steering, sure i read something about different top wishbones that alter the caster. Has anybody tried them and does it help/work?, who supplies them? how much? thanks

[Edited on 25/3/11 by Gordy]

rb968

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also interested in this as had a brief drive in mine (pre-IVA) and it would not self centre at all. Currently setup with with some toe-in and neg camber.

I know toe-out is suggested as a solution for IVA but interested in a longer term answer.

Rich

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
I'm also interested in this as had a brief drive in mine (pre-IVA) and it would not self centre at all. Currently setup with with some toe-in and neg camber.

I know toe-out is suggested as a solution for IVA but interested in a longer term answer.

Rich
i'm running the same setup as you, becomes a problem for me if i encounter oversteer and find it tricky to gather up neatly

Neville Jones

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
The best way to fix this is take it back to MK, and tell them to put it right.

This issue has been around for far too long, and it is surprising that MK still doesn't seem to have addressed it.

Is it too difficult to make the wishbones with the correct caster? After all these years?

Is it too difficult to make the top wishbone mounts adjustable for camber?

Cheers,
Nev.

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
The best way to fix this is take it back to MK, and tell them to put it right.

This issue has been around for far too long, and it is surprising that MK still doesn't seem to have addressed it.

Is it too difficult to make the wishbones with the correct caster? After all these years?

Is it too difficult to make the top wishbone mounts adjustable for camber?

Cheers,
Nev.
Nev, does this mean there's not a easy fix for this flaw?

mookaloid

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine used to self centre really strongly and I didn't do anything special other than set the tracking straight ahead, give it a degree or two of -ve camber and set the tyre pressures right 16 - 18 psi . oh and made sure the mushrooms were positioned with the holes at the front.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Neville Jones

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote

Nev, does this mean there's not a easy fix for this flaw?

Quite the opposite.

If the front upper wishbones were correctly configured, you wouldn't be posting this question.

Not your problem. Sale of Goods Act. Unfit for purpose.

MK should be providing wishbones with proper geometry.

Now, along will come the MK appreciation society and glee club to tell us the wishbones are correct, and all you need to do is set the car up with unsightly, and more than a little dangerous, amounts of toe out, and under/over inflate the tyres. Maybe even put springs in the rack, under the track rod boots. Testing officers are now awake to this, and will fail it.

It would take but a couple of hours work to correct the factory wishbone jigs(if they use jigs), so that this problem is never seen again.

Instead of yelling me down, tell me,why has this not been done???It has been known for far too many years.

Cheers,
Nev.

Toniq-r

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
What are you worried about ! You will still be driving of the track at Knockhill
Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toniq-r
What are you worried about ! You will still be driving of the track at Knockhill
No chance of that happening to you doing 45mph all the way round

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
First ... Make sure you steering rack is nice and free, you should beable to turn it be hand with wheels off the floor.

Second ... Make sure you geometry is correctly set up, not talking dangerous toe etc, just that they aren't all mis aligned.

Thirdly ... If still no self centring, throw your top wishbones away and fit some new ones with spherical bearings fitted so you can alter the geometry till you get self centring. More caster etc (although some will argue that it's not real caster etc) doesn't matter. Push the top wishbones back towards the rear of car as much as possible. Hey presto, self centring.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Toniq-r

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Eh what do mean I will be doing at least 46 mph with the super charger fitted!! anyway as long as I beat the bloody white nova and push off a few Scoobys of the track..
Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toniq-r
Eh what do mean I will be doing at least 46 mph with the super charger fitted!! anyway as long as I beat the bloody white nova and push off a few Scoobys of the track..
LOL

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
First ... Make sure you steering rack is nice and free, you should beable to turn it be hand with wheels off the floor.

Second ... Make sure you geometry is correctly set up, not talking dangerous toe etc, just that they aren't all mis aligned.

Thirdly ... If still no self centring, throw your top wishbones away and fit some new ones with spherical bearings fitted so you can alter the geometry till you get self centring. More caster etc (although some will argue that it's not real caster etc) doesn't matter. Push the top wishbones back towards the rear of car as much as possible. Hey presto, self centring.
Tbh i've got your first 2 points on car already, so my question is can i purchase these new wishbones or would someone have to fabricate them specially

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
There was a chap on eBay making them, I bought mine from him.

Think mk used to make them too.

Or modify your own

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ben, i'll check them out.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/3/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I might know someone who can make them. I'll ask him

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
My locost wouldn't really self centre.

I bought some revised top wishbones with improved castor - rosejoined and all adjustable from woszher.

It self centres perfectly now with no dodgy bodges.

I really wouldn't fancy driving a car without it - its a safety feature.

jacko

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Mine used to self centre really strongly and I didn't do anything special other than set the tracking straight ahead, give it a degree or two of -ve camber and set the tyre pressures right 16 - 18 psi . oh and made sure the mushrooms were positioned with the holes at the front.

Im with Mookaloid on this one
Jacko
ps my car is 7 years old

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snoopy

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones

Not your problem. Sale of Goods Act. Unfit for purpose.
Nev.

not a prayer self built car which you built yourself so only self to blame if you built it wrong as your all amatures not profesionals

austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I see that the MK appreciation society has stepped in again, why oh why you cant be constructive rather than destructive amazes me, have you stepped in for someone else what motivates you . My Mk centres ok, and hasnt even had the tracking set by anything other than a tape measure a spirit level and a laser light.

I habent seen an Mk Fail the SVA or IVA based on this centering other than when the setup had been an age out as everyone has managed to get their car to self centre with little trouble. Therefore the wishbones are fit for purpose so sale of goods act doesn't really come into it so your talk about LAW again is in reality a load of tosh.

It appears that your sole intention is to turn every MK thread into a negative one, if you cant help out and give appropriate and helpful advice then why bother posting.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Gordy

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I see that the MK appreciation society has stepped in again, why oh why you cant be constructive rather than destructive amazes me, have you stepped in for someone else what motivates you . My Mk centres ok, and hasnt even had the tracking set by anything other than a tape measure a spirit level and a laser light.

I habent seen an Mk Fail the SVA or IVA based on this centering other than when the setup had been an age out as everyone has managed to get their car to self centre with little trouble. Therefore the wishbones are fit for purpose so sale of goods act doesn't really come into it so your talk about LAW again is in reality a load of tosh.

It appears that your sole intention is to turn every MK thread into a negative one, if you cant help out and give appropriate and helpful advice then why bother posting.
When i started this thread i was looking for some tips/advice to help me fix my problem, not to get into a legal wrangle my car has 1.0deg toe-in, 1.5deg neg camber, 18psi in tyres, free turning steering rack but still can't seem to get any self centering, guess i'll need to source some modified wishbones, thanks for your inputs and no more bickering please

austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the top mushroom setting this can have an effect as stated I dont have a problem on my Indy at all its using standard wishbones etc. The top mushroom is ofset so if set up wrong can effect the steering.

Im with you on all the negative crap someone just has an axe to grind out there and need to remember this forum sets out to help not hinder.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jacko

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe, just a thought
my car is good in the steering department and i have a car [ pinto ] engine so more weight over the front
compared to your little light weight bike engine
so could this make a difference ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
didnt spot that it was bike engined, I believe Hellfire fitted softer springs to the front due to the engine weight, Im running a zetec in mine

rb968

posted on 25/3/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone clarify the mushroom position for me. I bought mine part built so have to admit I have only once had the mushrooms out when I had them drilled to lock in place. I assume they are offset to push the top link back or lean back to increase castor? Is it obvious which way they go, someone mentioned ensuring the hole is to the front?

Would like to have a look at mine this weekend so any guidance much appreciated.

I also think I have my tyre pressure too high at 23psi.

Cheers

Rich

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.