Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bang Pop Bang
RazMan

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bang Pop Bang

Since fitting my homebrew ITBs I have been doing a lot of miles while tweaking the map. I have got things running quite nicely now except I get a fair bit of popping and banging when slowing down. Now I don't mind a bit of 'character noise' but I freaked out a horse today and the rider was lucky to stay on the beastie so I need to quieten things down a bit.

I have tried cutting all fuel above 2500rpm on 0% throttle but with no real improvement - is there a trick to this?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any air leeks in your exhaust ? that will make it back fire
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
If the ignition is over advanced it too can cause popping on overrun
ashg

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
its actually caused by being under fuelled at low throttle openings. There is not enough air velocity so the fuel puddles, doesn't ignite and ends up burning in the exhaust. increase the fuelling as you come off the throttle a little before fuel cut comes in and it should cure it. theory is that a little bit more fuel will cause it to ignite in the cylinder rather than the exhaust.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My car pops a little bit on over-run when it's hot - I like it!

If I have to pass a horse (there are a few riding schools near me) I usually floor the clutch and coast past nice and slowly. The engine's just on tick-over instead of over-run, so barely audible.

zetec

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
My Emerald map has fueling till cut off, which is at RPM below 1500 with 0% opening, so agree perhaps a little fuel might help.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

coozer

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I want pops and bangs, some flames would be nice as well. Singe the hairs off the horses legs

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

slingshot2000

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
+1
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I want pops and bangs, some flames would be nice as well. Singe the hairs off the horses legs

bi22le

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I want more 'character noises' as well. Count yourself lucky!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

chrisxr2

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
scared a horse

Was scaring the horse related to the noise of the car or are the car noise and scaring the horse two seperate episodes?? ooerr missus

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

mrwibble

posted on 25/3/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
whilst i agree horses should be confined to fields and bridle paths, breaking somones neck for being foolish enough to ride one of the fly ridden immense turd producing beasts seems a bit harsh.
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/3/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Raz, great to hear that you are putting some miles on your new TBI's.

I have had a similar thing from time to time. Actually I have never really got to the bottom of how to manage fuel cut.

I can get pops and bangs if I lower the fueling on the over-run.
If I use a fuel cut, then it isn't very nice when I come back on the power.

The solution (in my case), is to run about 15-16 on the over-run and disable fuel cut. This isn't ideal from a fuel consumption perspective.
I have read that you can tune these problems out, but it wasn't easy when I tried.

Matt

RazMan

posted on 26/3/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the ideas guys - I live in a fairly rural part of Essex so horses are a part of life round these parts. I have to agree that the roads are not the place for the beasties but I guess they have to get from A to B like the rest of us.

I tried a little more fuel on the over run and presto! - all is quiet and well mannered now.
I knew you lot wouldn't let me down

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

atomic

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
You should be using a Wideband AFR meter to tune and one of the result of doing it this way would be it this should reduce this type of thing to an expectable level. What ecu are you using? as most can take a wideband feed directly and have some sort of Auto-tune feature these days which produce good safe starting points.
Using Wideband will help you maximise your engines capabilities while reducing the likelihood to damage due to running too lean etc.

[Edited on 29/3/11 by atomic]

fatbaldbloke

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The solution (in my case), is to run about 15-16 on the over-run and disable fuel cut.

Spot on, this is the correct way to do it.

ed1801

posted on 29/3/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
On mine, I've found that if you go rich on overrun (13-13.5ish) you get a burble noise rather than the lean bangs and pops. May be worth a try Obviously you will use a touch more fuel.
mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 29/3/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatbaldbloke
quote:

The solution (in my case), is to run about 15-16 on the over-run and disable fuel cut.

Spot on, this is the correct way to do it.

+1
Defo the correct way to do it where economy is not most important, but it's a half way house between reasonable economy and have good throttle response after over run 0% tp.

Although personally I am running Decel 98% but it is on a supercharged mini 1380

[Edited on 29/3/2011 by mikemph]

RazMan

posted on 29/3/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atomic
You should be using a Wideband AFR meter to tune and one of the result of doing it this way would be it this should reduce this type of thing to an expectable level. What ecu are you using? as most can take a wideband feed directly and have some sort of Auto-tune feature these days which produce good safe starting points.
Using Wideband will help you maximise your engines capabilities while reducing the likelihood to damage due to running too lean etc.

I have indeed been using my Innovate Wideband sensor and gauge to good effect - I have used 3 tankfuls to get the fine tuning done and its now running beautifully. The popping stopped when I increased the fuel on the overrun slightly and I have noticed the AFR has gone up to around 13.5 so not lean any more.

I would love to plumb the sensor into the ECU but have been told it is not very straight forward to do this on an MBE 970. I just keep an eye on the AFR under various throttle positions and at the moment it is running on the safer side of the ideal 14.7. If anyone can offer advice on getting the sensor to talk to the ECU I am all ears

Cheers,
Raz

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 30/3/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:

I have indeed been using my Innovate Wideband sensor and gauge to good effect - I have used 3 tankfuls to get the fine tuning done and its now running beautifully. The popping stopped when I increased the fuel on the overrun slightly and I have noticed the AFR has gone up to around 13.5 so not lean any more.

I would love to plumb the sensor into the ECU but have been told it is not very straight forward to do this on an MBE 970. I just keep an eye on the AFR under various throttle positions and at the moment it is running on the safer side of the ideal 14.7. If anyone can offer advice on getting the sensor to talk to the ECU I am all ears

Normally you use the 0-5v analogue output of the wb controller onto the ecu... And then you have to make sure the ecu is configured to accept 0-5v as a wide band on which every input you are using. Im not familiar with mbe so can't tell you how exactly.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/3/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Not a horsey person then cooz?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ashg

posted on 30/3/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:

always use afr as a guide. never think yo have to make the engine work at an afr value, always give it what it wants to run well.the 13.5 afr isnt that critical on overrun when you think in volumetric efficiency. with the throttle closed there is very little air going into the cylindermeaning it would only take a very small amount of fuel to make it look rich. so in reality it wont make a lot of difference to your fuel economy. the place you can make real fuel economy gains on cruse and idle which is where you should be concentrating on if its running well

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RazMan

posted on 30/3/11 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikemph
Normally you use the 0-5v analogue output of the wb controller onto the ecu... And then you have to make sure the ecu is configured to accept 0-5v as a wide band on which every input you are using. Im not familiar with mbe so can't tell you how exactly.

The Innovate unit can output both wide and narrow band signals IIRC. The wideband is mainly used for mapping and gauge display, while the narrow band is used for real time correction in the map. Apparently the wiring is the simple bit - the setup is something else! Easimap is not exactly ... erm .... easy to master and switching on the lambda input is apparently quite complicated and best left to someone who knows what they are doing

Methinks a visit to Atspeed is required at this point - I am fairly confident that the map is as close as it needs to be for the time being but it needs some expert input to get the lambda control switched on. I'll bung Colin an email.

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
always use afr as a guide. never think yo have to make the engine work at an afr value, always give it what it wants to run well.the 13.5 afr isnt that critical on overrun when you think in volumetric efficiency. with the throttle closed there is very little air going into the cylindermeaning it would only take a very small amount of fuel to make it look rich. so in reality it wont make a lot of difference to your fuel economy. the place you can make real fuel economy gains on cruse and idle which is where you should be concentrating on if its running well

I find that running on the rich side of the 'magic 14.7' seems to be about the best in terms of power and driveability and anything between 13.5 & 14.2 seems fine. Tickover needs a little more fuel to get it nice and steady but that might be down to my rather extreme timing I am forced to use due to the leaky butterflies (about 2 degrees presently)

[Edited on 30-3-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

ashg

posted on 30/3/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
i dont know the ins and outs of your ecu but if you connect to the innovate via serial and open up the software you can tell it what voltage it should be pumping out at a particular afr. all you need to do then i find out what input your ecu is expecting. if i remember correctly you could set both analogue outputs to wideband using the innovate software meaning you have one for the ecu and another for the gauge both outputting different voltage ranges but still in wideband mode.

once its setup properly the map wont really change so technically you dont even need a lambda. the only real benefit of having one after its been properly mapped is for safety should you get an unexpected lean situation e.g something on the inlet side fails allowing it run out of spec.

2 degrees isnt really a good thing to be doing i hope you are keeping an eye on your exhaust temps as you could kill your exhaust valves if your not careful

[Edited on 30/3/2011 by ashg]

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RazMan

posted on 30/3/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
After speaking Colin @ atspeed, I am now convince that lambda control should not be neccessary if the map is set up well to start with - besides the ar$e of a job it is to set up.

First you need to first tell the ecu the type of Lambda system you're using, along with a number of settings, (temperature to allow adaptive mapping, how much fueling can be changed by in one go, that sort of thing.)

You then need to set up a table relating to the voltage that the ecu translates to the actual Lambda value

You then need to set up the target map. Typically, you would put a figure of Lambda 1 in the low rpm/low tps load sites and a value between 0.85 - 0.9 or so in the higher rpm/higher tps sites. (The theory is that you're running at Lambda 1 on low throttle openings, and richer when you give it some beans).

My brain melted at this point and I just marvelled at how good my present map is

Regarding the 2 degrees thing, I am very concious of the heat build up at tickover so I basically don't allow it to idle for very long and switch off when waiting in traffic to keep the heat down to a minimum - its fine on a run though.

Cheers,
Raz

ashg

posted on 31/3/11 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
im just going off my own experience, don't claim to be an expert, far from it. i have done a fair bit of reading on the subject and put it in to practice on my own car, mostly it has worked out ok for me.

sounds like your getting on well with it. im sure colin will be able to get a bit more out of it on the rollers as he can keep a constant load unlike road conditions it also makes it more repeatable which helps. I would think there is a good bit of play to be found in your ignition map as i would expect it to be reasonably conservative at the moment. you will have to post up the before and after results along with screen shots of the map tables. he managed to find 18hp and a bit more torque on my old engine without too much bother. the good thing is that you have a working map so hopefully the boys can just hone it in. the only thing that worries me is your itb issue on tick over as they will have to map around it, in an ideal world it would be better to get that sorted and redo your map before going down to them and parting with money, but if you cant find a way round it then that's how it will have to be.

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.