Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SWMBO wants an RX-8 - any comments?
RazMan

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO wants an RX-8 - any comments?

SWMBO retires at the end of the year and she has promised herself a nicer car. She has presently got a Hyundai Sports Coupe and likes it a lot, but she's recently been drooling over the RX-8 and I wondered if anyone here can give me any details about reliability and economy of the rotary engines (totally alien to me)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just check out the tax bracket, IIRC newer ones are up in the 400+ a year bracket? Other than that I know very little, sorry!
franky

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Expensive on fuel, 20mpg touring, cheap to buy though and they drive great.
omega 24 v6

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Drink petrol BIG TIME. A couple of lads at work have them ( young guns ) and even they complaib about fuel economy. just town driving at the weekend results in low 20's

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Coil pack faults if not done lead to tips burning out bye bye engine plus the above comments there are better cars out there

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

tegwin

posted on 29/3/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Been quite a few posts like this one over the last few months... have a search, the general feeling is usually to go look at something else :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

fesycresy

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan 350Z.

RX 8 also likes a drink of oil!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

RazMan

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm I had my doubts to start with but now ....

She wants a 'sporty' car but needs something economical with 4 seats and a boot (or hatch I suppose)

The trouble is, she keeps lusting after the top end marques like Mercedes, BMW, Maserati so I am trying to calm her down a bit and get more practical - any suggestions guys?

[Edited on 29-3-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mate has one - very pretty, nice to drive, engine very smooth (but sounds like a hoover), been reliable for a good few years, dreadful fuel economy. One point, and I mean no anti-women-driver disrespect, is that if she's likely to drive at all, er, spiritedly, will she understand and know how to deal with the response of a RWD? My mate is about as far from a knowledgable enthusiast with mechanical sympathy as you can get (has it for posing basically) and has had a couple of lucky 180 degree moments in the wet even with the TC (I think they all have TC but not sure).
omega 24 v6

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Leon fr diesel.
Golf gt tdi

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Marcus

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa Giulietta.....love 'em

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Davegtst

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Very easy to flood the engine and a pita to get going again. Just make sure if you start the engine leave it to run for at least 5 mins before you switch it off.
Front Row Joe

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into these cars recently and drove a number. They handle beautifully and are an absolute pleasure. However they are fragile and high maintenance. History is a must and the oil must have been checked weekly. If its been run low the engine will likely be damaged and many don't last longer than 100k as a result. They must be allowed to warm up properly once started or they will flood. So no short journeys. They can be had for very reasonable money though. Just be sure whoever you buy it off is an enthusiast otherwise you can't guarantee it's been looked after. I looked at 6 cars and had concerns with then all. Bills for repairs will be expensive. Mazda Exeter basically advised me to steep clear! Look on the rx8 forum for a list of things to look for. I didn't have the bottle to invest due to apparent fragility. Paranoid about big bills to come!
martyn1137

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Work collegue of my daughter has had two, both required new engines at relatively low mileage - not sure of reason. She also complained about dreadful fuel consumption.

If 2 door acceptable and only require 4 seats occassionally how about a Sirrocco. I had a sit on one while waiting for a test drive in the golf end of last year. I was staggered how much space there was in the back and boot. 170 bhp diesel like my golf goes well and runs on fresh air - well almost. I am averaging 50+mpg from the GTD. Sirrocco looks cool as well.

At the end of last year a number of outlets were offering great contract hire or personal contract terms on them.

nick205

posted on 29/3/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Drove a colleagues RX-8 (co. car) for a couple of weeks when he used my Passat to go on holiday in. I found it drove very well in terms of handling, but for some reason it just did not feel fast. I put it down to the smoothness and high rev range of the rotary engine, which didn't seem to have a distinct power band like a good conventional petrol engine. It was crushing on fuel and that was a couple of years ago when fuel was considerably cheaper than it is currently. He also had to keep topping it up with oil although as a co. car this didn't come out of his pocket. I loved it for 2 weeks and he loved it as a leased co. car, but we both agreed we'd not want to own one privately.

old_timbo

posted on 29/3/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
My Mrs had a Hyundai Coupe which she loved. Nearest replacement we could find was an Alfa Gulietta which she also thinks is great.

RX-8 great car, crap engine. There was a company exhibiting at one of the car shows last year putting V8's (LS1?) into them. I seem to remember the finished article costing about £16k.

Tim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.