Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR 1000 K2 GOOD BEC ENGINE OR NOT?
elf83

posted on 2/4/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR 1000 K2 GOOD BEC ENGINE OR NOT?

So is this a good engine for a bec mk indy? reliable? power out put? weight etc? I have looked but cant seem to find the info im after, even a point in the right direction would be great!

Thnx

peter bland

posted on 2/4/11 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Had my K2 for a few years , no problems with it,fitted a baffel plate and it came with a power commanda ,150bhp at the wheels on the rolling road. Plenty of track time and its been spot on.
elf83

posted on 2/4/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply! Has helped put my mind at ease a bit. How often do you have to do oil change etc?
MakeEverything

posted on 2/4/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
As with any engine, its only reliable if you look after it. Id change the oil every year or even twice if driven hard.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/4/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
From what I have read. Some folk ran these in RGB (750 MC series) and suffered some failures. Subsequently people fitted dry sump and that sorted it.

I don't know how necessary that was but it is probably worth a bit more research before committing.

peter bland

posted on 2/4/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I change the oil about 2-3 times a year.
elf83

posted on 2/4/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
It already has a dry sump fitted, which should really be the norm for any bec if its gona be driven hard. as for oil change i change elise oil 3 times a year, so a bec im gona be even more ontop of. What about other servicing requirements?
Bare

posted on 3/4/11 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well... best Hoard a couple of spare transmissions and a few clutch baskets.
If you drive this on the road (as opposed to track events only) yer gonna need them.. sooner rather than later..

elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ok is that a known problem with the engine? its a 2002 gsxr 1000 k2. How many miles would i be expecting to get out of this engine before said problems?
matt_gsxr

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
elf83,

I can't agree with your sweeping statements on dry sumping. There are several bike engines that have been proved to run hard without dry sumping (the RGB series would be my reference point for this). gsxr1000 isn't one of them.

I researched the k1-3 gsxr1000 when thinking about my build and decided against it based on the cost of dry dump. I didn't hear any particular problems with clutches or gearboxes, it was a while ago.

gsxr1000 is not a popular engine in 7 type cars in the UK, although that is mostly a fashion thing as far as I am aware. But these are popular in the US ( http://dsrforum.yuku.com ) so lots of information there.

Getting back to your original question.
gsxr1000 is similar to the other bike engines of that era. It was early to get injection (a good thing) but doesn't have the secondary injectors of later models.
Much lighter than the gsxr1100 engine, but not as light as later zx10r and R1 engines.

Pretty decent engine, with loads of aftermarket bits and pieces.

Here is a comparison page http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_bike.html

Matt

imp paul

posted on 3/4/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
i had a k2 its got a stronger crank than later engines i sold it my mate calvin x he had a lot of fun with it and its still going strong big thumbs up for k2 its a good engine and the right price to buy cheers paul
elf83

posted on 3/4/11 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Matt_gsxr

Thats a huge help thanks! and that comparison page gives me the info i was after. Basically from what i have now read, its a good engine, quite available as its not used all that much in bec's and doesnt have any more or less faults than the others out there? so as said thats mainly a fashion thing. Thanks for the confidence boost with ur post too paul.

McLannahan

posted on 3/4/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I had a K2 in my old MK Indy. Was a great engine and a great car too. I had no issues at all with reliability didn't ever track it though.

hiflow

posted on 3/4/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking a while back for one. I 'was' going to go for K5 model, due to have stronger internals (better rods /valves / larger TB's and a few more horses) but its a Jap bike engine, say no more

Dont think they did a bad engine.

best of luck

A

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.