DVLA are incompetent
DVLA are a well oiled machine - Your unlucky

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RANT : DVLA - V5
mad4x4

posted on 4/4/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
RANT : DVLA - V5

We DVLA have a strange way of working if you send them osmething and they don't recieve it you then have to pay for them to send a replacement. So is this a way to make money.

We moved last year - went to dig out the v5 that should be in the Car file and it's not there. Penny drop hang on I sent it to DVLA. I phone DVLA, oh we never got it..... you'll need to go to the Local office to tax the vehicle and then it will take upto a month to get the V5.....

So now I need to wait for the insruance certifiacte to some through and then trail 50 miles to the loacl office to be told , more than likely "we'll post it to you at your old address only"

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Did you send it recorded delivery/signed for as they suggest?
MikeRJ

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Someone voted for "well oiled machine"! Do we have a DLVA mole in our midst?
mad4x4

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Did you send it recorded delivery/signed for as they suggest?

And where does it say that on the v5 !

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Generally suggested on all important docs. Common sense surely, they've no idea whether you sent it or just lost it?
MikeRJ

posted on 4/4/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Generally suggested on all important docs. Common sense surely, they've no idea whether you sent it or just lost it?

That works both ways though, why don't the DVLA send important docs out with recorded delivery?

jimmyjoebob

posted on 4/4/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about well oiled machine - they certainly are slippery customers!

Wasn't there a court case where the DVLA's collar was felt for imposing conditions beyond their legal ability?
They were expecting individuals to send documents recorded delivery whilst not doing the same themselves. Also DVLA were threatening prosecution of people for not following up on documents that DVLA were failing to return!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/4/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA are a bunch of ******* fill in your own adjective.

I had to wait 12 months for docs after sending three sets of paperwork (tear off portion plus receipt) in because every time I enquired where the log book was, I was told they had not received the paperwork from me and I would have to send them in again.
As soon as I said I would give them 28 days to produce or instruct a solicitor, a miracle log book arrived in two days.

Last October my youngest sold his Jag and I sent off his bit of the paperwork.
The new owner sent off his bit.
Then my son gets a snotty letter from DVLA saying he failed to notify them of change of ownership.
I telephoned DVLA to say paperwork was sent as I sent it.
The reply... he should have checked that they had received it.
Now the ******** have sent him a summons. Up to £1k fine and min £60 costs.

You know which one I'm going to tick.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/4/11 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

That works both ways though, why don't the DVLA send important docs out with recorded delivery?

Normal 1st class post is what 45p? Second class recorded delivery of the same item is about £1.05... It's cheaper for them to just reprint the V5 (cos you can't) than make sure it gets there.

Further to this anything not sent recorded or special, well it's up to you if you "recieved" it

Not sure what to say really on this... I inquired a while ago about a car that was at an abandoned dealership and was told about a rather sneaky way around this:

Apply for the V5 to be put in my name (iirc about £25) The DVLA then contact the last registered keeper, and seeing as a used car dealer doesn't have it in their name that likely means a letter goes back to the person who sold it to them. I know for a fact that car was there in 2003 so IF it manages to reach the previous owned they're likely to report that they sold it years ago or just ignore it. Either way unless they lay claim to a car they sold I get the V5 in my name and then I call a locksmith because I've "lost the keys"

The guy didn't even make any pretence that this isn't legal or dodgy, he just came out with it like it's all above board!

pekwah1

posted on 4/4/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
it is above board, but don't confuse having a v5 for a car with being the same as being the legal owner.
A v5 is just for the 'keeper' of a car, so if the original owner reports it stolen, then unless you can prove you legally own it, then the v5 doesn't count for anything.

Ninehigh

posted on 4/4/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
That's why they contact whoever they have on their records. Thing is how far can you go to trace an owner? At this point it would be:
1. The three phone numbers on the garage itself
2. The guy next door who appears to be in business
3. The registered owner and keeper

If none of them are available what do I do?

Don't really answer that or we'll go off topic

JoelP

posted on 4/4/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
when i send off a v5, i put a note in my diary 4 weeks ahead to chase it up if i dont have the confirmation letter. Once bitten, twice shy!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.