Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scratches on Gel Coat
spdpug98

posted on 7/4/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Scratches on Gel Coat

I am after a little bit of advice, due to me being my usual impatient self and just trying to get jobs done quickly I have scratched the gel coat on my car

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to get rid of them, I have tried the usual T Cut exercise, which has made a slight difference, but they are still there and any tips would be appreciated.

I have been told that using wet and dry may help, but the last thing I want to do is attack it with wet & dry and make it 10 times worse

ETA picture

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

MK9R

posted on 7/4/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
if its not gone through the gel coat try some autosol

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cerbera

posted on 7/4/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have successfully removed scratches using Farecla G3 then G10, it depends on how deep yours are though.

stevebubs

posted on 7/4/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
How deep are the scratches? Have they gone all the way through the Gelcoat?
Johneturbo

posted on 7/4/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
If you can feel the scraches with your nail, then you'll need to feather out the edges with 1200 wet and then G3/10 should sort it
spdpug98

posted on 7/4/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice, the ones on the side panel are not too deep and I can just about feel the edge with my nail. But, the ones on the rear are deeper

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Triton

posted on 7/4/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wet n dry will sort that but work clean, ie clean water and keep using new paper and make sure there is no crap picked up which would then act like a file...patience will sort it out then use cutting paste and machine polish it ideally but don't go leaning on the thing or you will "burn" the gel coat...oh and polish it wet.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got loads of scratches worse than that, i just used a red t-cut on a polishing head and you can hardly see them, they sort of blend in.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.