Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: donor car 300 zx
jacko

posted on 13/7/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
donor car 300 zx

HI ALL! What do you lot think to putting a 300ZX Nissan V6 300bhp twin turbo engine in a MK Indy chassis. It may take a few chassis mods. What gearbox could I use? The origional one is an automatic and too wide! Would the sierra back axle take the power. Or do you think I am dreaming? New project in the offing. Jacko the dreamer........
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 14/7/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know the engine, but turbo engines tend to have a lot of bits attached. It would be more suited to something like a +4 or a viento I would guess as the v6 will be wider than a standad inline 4. I've not heard of any v6's in Indy's though they may well be out there somewhere....

The sierra cosworth rear end would be ok for the power, don't know about the standard rear dif etc coping with the power/torque.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gjn200

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Have you looked under the bonnet of a 300!! I think not If you want that much power, put a cossie in.

<- Me!

ned

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
they do a bit on the large side:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10402&item=2484484006&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

jacko

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
300 Nissan

I was looking at one last night thats where the idea came from. I want to be different with my next project. Never say never! Dont MK advertise fitting rover v8s in them. I know Martin prefers 4 cylinder engines but if they say a V8 will fit why not a V6? With a lot of chassis mods. Back to the origional question does anyone know what gearbox would fit on this engine. Jacko
Dale

posted on 14/7/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
With a turbo hanging off of both sides it is going to be a royal bitch to fit. Unless you spend a fortune getting custom headers made to move the turbos they would probably be outside of the bodywork. I have an inline4 turbo and it is around 24 inches wide. Take a V motor and the turbos on the side its going to look like a bmw bike with the heads sticking out the sides of the hood/bonnet.
Dale

gjn200

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Back to the origional question does anyone know what gearbox would fit on this engine. Jacko

Whats wrong with the manual nissan fit?

[Edited on 14/7/04 by gjn200]

<- Me!

DaveFJ

posted on 15/7/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
With a turbo hanging off of both sides it is going to be a royal bitch to fit. Unless you spend a fortune getting custom headers made to move the turbos they would probably be outside of the bodywork. I have an inline4 turbo and it is around 24 inches wide. Take a V motor and the turbos on the side its going to look like a bmw bike with the heads sticking out the sides of the hood/bonnet.
Dale

Sounds pretty good to me......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

locost_bryan

posted on 16/7/04 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use all the 300ZX TT bits? IIRC it has an alloy LSD, alloy rear hubs, a quick rack (once you've disconnected the ps), bolt-on front struts (easy to fit top bj), and a decent set of stoppers. Visit www.stillen.com for some ideas on trick suspension bits.

Several sites on the net tell how to do the manual conversion, to retrofit the factory 5-speed. Should be well up to the job!

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.