Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring behind dash
lsdweb

posted on 13/4/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring behind dash

Hi All

I'm just working on my dash and starting to measure up for the looms (Elan not '7' . I'm not sure whether to fix the wiring, fuses, relays etc to the bulkhead or to the dash itself - all the looms will be fitted with multi plugs so there's no real difference either way. The relays, fuses, rev limiter and data logger will all sit where the glove box is supposed to be - easy to do if they're fixed to the dash but harder if fixed to the bulkhead as there'll need to be some brackets etc..

Any thoughts?

Dash (not finished yet)

Space behind dash

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 13/4/11 by lsdweb]

Flamez

posted on 13/4/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi wyn'

My tuppence worth is the fuses and relays should be readily accessible, therefore i would put them on the bulkhead whilst wiring etc can be connected to the dash unless you want tje fuses open on the dash face? If you get my drift,

Hows your knee?

my build mac1motorsports

loggyboy

posted on 13/4/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Why not make up a little tray above the passenger kickwell that has them mounted on, that could fold fold down doubling as a protector for them and giving easy access.
lsdweb

posted on 13/4/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to mount everything to the dash and finish the dash loom so that it can plug into the other looms directly. This will allow me to build all the looms on the bench.

Phil - my knee is still painful but it probably needs a bit of gentle exercise!

Wyn

02GF74

posted on 13/4/11 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
search for my dash photos.
wire up the dash so that all wires go to one conector - 10 second job to remove and refit.

I used a 20 way PC connector; doulbing up the earth wires just to be sure contacts andwires can take the juice.

fuse box somewhere easily accessible, on bulkhead under bonet is how would have done it.

big-vee-twin

posted on 13/4/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine they will be located on a plate inside the scuttle accesses through the bulkhead my fuses will be located under the bonnet. I will be fitting a small access panel so I can get to them through the bulkhead

Main Loom
Main Loom

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

snowy2

posted on 13/4/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
dont hide them or put them under the dash, they only seem to blow when its raining.......i would put them under the bonnet on the bulkhead.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

lsdweb

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - my inention is to have the fuses and relays (and other bits) in the glove box - relatively dry and muck free. My decision is around whether I fix everything to the dash or the car. The photo below shows what I mean - I think it'll all be attached to the dash with multipin plugs for the two front looms, one rear, wiper motor and high current connections.

Hopefully the picture will explain what I'm struggling to put into words!

lsdweb

posted on 12/12/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
This is how it turned out - I made an alloy panel to mount it all to. The loose bit of ali hanging down is to fit the rev limiter / launch control box.

W

Dash bits
Dash bits

jase380

posted on 12/12/11 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Neat job that, looks good to me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.