Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Before you donate to the next disaster.....
Confused but excited.

posted on 22/4/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Before you donate to the next disaster.....

As you open your pockets for the next natural disaster, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO, Marsha J. Evans salary for the year was £394,825.16 plus expenses.

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a £227,100.00 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives £726,600.00 per year (£60,550 per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE. Less than 5 pence of your donated pound goes to the cause.

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only £7,871.50 per year (plus housing) for managing this £120+ billion dollar organization. 96 percent of donated money goes to the cause.

No further comment is necessary. Please share this with everyone you can.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

russbost

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have felt for a long time that ALL charities should have to show on any advertising, collection boxes etc. just how much of your £1 gets to it's real destination - the whole thing makes me fume It is totally corrupt, but Joe Public appears blissfully unaware.

The leukaemia charity which I strongly support gets by on around 12 - 15% expenses I believe; for a large organisation I feel that sort of amount is acceptable - 95% most definitely is NOT

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Craigman9

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I have felt for a long time that ALL charities should have to show on any advertising, collection boxes etc. just how much of your £1 gets to it's real destination - the whole thing makes me fume It is totally corrupt, but Joe Public appears blissfully unaware.

The leukaemia charity which I strongly support gets by on around 12 - 15% expenses I believe; for a large organisation I feel that sort of amount is acceptable - 95% most definitely is NOT

Couldn't agree with you more!!!

myke pocock

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely disgusting and I will certainly give it more thought who I donate to in the future.
blakep82

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
so you're saying i should start up my own charity...?

no, you're right, its a disgrace. people who work for charities shouldn't be paid salaries, should be voluntary. of course they need paid jobs, hard to say what a reasonable salary should be. definietly no more than say, £100,000 (which for a CEO of a huge organisation, is very low)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

chris mason

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
It's for the above reasons i very rarely donate to charities, Last week while wondering round Whitby, i emptied my pocket of loose change for the RNLI, I've no idea how much of that goes to where i'd like, but they seem a worth while cause, if i was to find out they ran at 50% then it's very likely i'd never do the same again.
Flamez

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
UNICEF state on their website that it costs them 22 p to raise £1. This involves salaries, media and fundraising costs so not quite 95p as the OP stated.

Ps the charites stated are large organisations therefore to attract suitables CEO,s will need to offer an attractive salary.

my build mac1motorsports

JoelP

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, you cannot make a post like this without evidence. The comment at the bottom makes it look like its from a chain email, and we all know that the contents of them is usually bollox.

If UNICEF were really running at 95% expenses, it would be an international news story.

So, lets see some sources.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 22/4/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
a quick google:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm

and it would seem to be bollox. UNICEF boss gets about £140k.

Neville Jones

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
It's for the above reasons i very rarely donate to charities, Last week while wondering round Whitby, i emptied my pocket of loose change for the RNLI, I've no idea how much of that goes to where i'd like, but they seem a worth while cause, if i was to find out they ran at 50% then it's very likely i'd never do the same again.

RNLI money goes as much on new boats and maintenance, as salaries.

The fellas I know who work for RNLI are not overly paid, but the people who the RNLI buy their boats off aren't poor, due to the high spec of the boats, and the lack of manufacturers willing to do the work.

I support RNLI, as they WILL go out in any weather, for the smallest of boats and biggest, for any reason. They spend a lot of their seatime towing in stinkpots that have run out of fuel, and sail boats with owners who don't know how to sail.

Cheers,
Nev.

russbost

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Wherever the OP's information comes from, mine is from totally different sources & a number of them. My Cousin heads up a Trade Union organisation (probably the less said about his salary the better, it is a constant bone of contention between our differing political viewpoints), but he has many contacts in the political & charity world, some of what he has told me (& showed me evidence of) I could not put on a public forum, but he tells me that there is a VERY large childrens charity (I'm not going to give the name out as I can't personally verify the info) that does not contribute one single penny of it's income to children!!! It is there purely to "raise awareness" & therefore does not actually have to do anything for children at all, it does however spend Millions on advertising, & a whole bunch more on large salaries.

I'm quite sure much of this could be quantified fairly easily, & one thing you can easily check is a charities address - & I'm telling you that you won't find many under railway arches, but you will find plenty in flashy chrome & glass offices in the most expensive bits of London!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
marcjagman

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
charity begins at home, RNLI, PDSA, Marie Curie, Hospice etc all worthy of our donations. This countries government gets ripped of enough/forced into donating to other countries.
Ninehigh

posted on 22/4/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but he tells me that there is a VERY large childrens charity (I'm not going to give the name out as I can't personally verify the info) that does not contribute one single penny of it's income to children!!! It is there purely to "raise awareness" & therefore does not actually have to do anything for children at all, it does however spend Millions on advertising, & a whole bunch more on large salaries.

I'm quite sure much of this could be quantified fairly easily, & one thing you can easily check is a charities address - & I'm telling you that you won't find many under railway arches, but you will find plenty in flashy chrome & glass offices in the most expensive bits of London!

I think I know which one you mean, I've wondered for a long time who pays for them flash adverts, full stop.

Missus has always said she'd rather donate blankets and food to animal shelters (for example) because there's no way of knowing how much of your £ actually goes to help them

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/4/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ps the charites stated are large organisations therefore to attract suitables CEO,s will need to offer an attractive salary.

But it's "for charity" so they should be charitable and do it for a menial realistic sum.

If not then it's a job with a salary which we are supporting rather than what we think we are supporting.

I seldom give to charity for this very reason. Charity begins at home and with a familly of 3 who all work/pay tax and support the hangers on/scroungers in our own society I feel I do enough.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

JoelP

posted on 22/4/11 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wherever the OP's information comes from, mine is from totally different sources & a number of them. My Cousin heads up a Trade Union organisation (probably the less said about his salary the better, it is a constant bone of contention between our differing political viewpoints), but he has many contacts in the political & charity world, some of what he has told me (& showed me evidence of) I could not put on a public forum, but he tells me that there is a VERY large childrens charity (I'm not going to give the name out as I can't personally verify the info) that does not contribute one single penny of it's income to children!!! It is there purely to "raise awareness" & therefore does not actually have to do anything for children at all, it does however spend Millions on advertising, & a whole bunch more on large salaries.

My objection is not about charities, merely that obviously dubious information has been posted without a simple check for validity. Its like tabloid journalism!

scudderfish

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

fesycresy

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know the figures for the NSPCC?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Liam

posted on 22/4/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
But it's "for charity" so they should be charitable and do it for a menial realistic sum.

LOL - just because an organisation is a charity, all members of staff must be 'charitable' and accept peanuts for a salary? Seriously? Back in reality, if a large charity wants to attract decent management/executive/financial etc staff, they will have to be prepared to pay for it, like any other organisation.

As for the OP - sorry, but what a load of bollox. New idea - email programs should have automatic hoax chain mail filters which replace the original text with a link to snopes. Problem solved!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 22/4/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

LOL - just because an organisation is a charity, all members of staff must be 'charitable' and accept peanuts for a salary? Seriously? Back in reality, if a large charity wants to attract decent management/executive/financial etc staff, they will have to be prepared to pay for it, like any other organisation.

No not peanuts BUt certainly not what many of us would regard as outrageous under the circumstances in which the money is raised.
i.e to help others les fortunate than ourselves. ( which would be many of the donators in monetary terms compared to the fat cats running the charity)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Ninehigh

posted on 22/4/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6

LOL - just because an organisation is a charity, all members of staff must be 'charitable' and accept peanuts for a salary?

Hey some people don't get a choice

bi22le

posted on 22/4/11 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
A few points I would like to add.

OP is a pretty active member on here (and he will vouch that I do NOT know him!), lets not shoot a messenger with a message!

Has anybody else seen the Salvation Army Head Quarters near the St Paul's Cathedral? That place is a seriously expensive building, and I see little activity from the salvation army other than more collections in my area.

I don't give to charities, I am a private contractor offering a very good service to the NHS in wheelchair services and special seating services. I see a lot of money wasted just in the small world that I deal with and if the NHS was private it WOULD be more efficient. If charities had to release profit figures like a limited company there would be some serious back lash and problems justifying there overheads. This does not apply to all companies, some are extremely efficient at turning donations into real pennies for people in need.

Large charities need to be very organised to maximise 'profit' to give to the people in need. These large organisations demand experienced people to make sure the ship sales true and efficiently.

Interesting how people are posting on this,

Regards

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer to give donations to local support groups, like cancer support etc as it tends to be used more effectively and their members are usually volunteers.

For our wedding we have asked a donation be made to one of the local cancer support groups who helped missy’s family through her mum’s cancer rather than give us pointless wedding gifts like toasters...

There are many local care in the community schemes when you look and they need support just as much as any of the bigger well known charities.

Oh and her mums fully recovered now

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.