Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie. How to get started?
smiles

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
newbie. How to get started?

Hi guys im new to the kit car world but have been interested for a few months now. I would love a kit car and do the odd track days but have a few questions to ask if u dont mind

1. is the sport relatively cheap to do as im not a massive earner?
2. i like the soft top cars like the locost but is there any roof u can get that u can drive it in the rain without geting wet and also storing the car on a driveway and using as a daily driver?
3. I have no access to a garage but car will be parked occasionally on the driveway which isnt a bad area but has its moments as with everywhere. Other times it wil be parked in an underground car park but will this cause the car to go rusty ater a few years if its on the driveway?
3. I am 24 years old with over 4 years no claims will insurance be cheap i hear people saying its cheaper than a normal car which i feel hard to believe especially if its gonna be kept on a driveway.
4. I have never driven a kit car before but which is best to start with dont want anything to slow or to fast. Just quick, very fun and cheap to run?
Thanks for ur time and all comments welcome.

daniel mason

posted on 28/4/11 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
insurance is good on the kits if you go to the right company and have limited mileage policy!
you can get soft tops for sevens but i would recommend a proper waterproof cover as well if your leaving outside.
its way cheaper to buy a built car than to build yourself,but a lot of the fun is in the building for a lot on here. me included. but if you build your own it wont be cheap. im not a big earner but am running a bit over budget and still not finished.
as for speed,these are very fast. the least power i had was a kawasaki zx9r engined kit which is a 900cc bike motor.and probably 120 bhp. it was so fast compared to my subarus and evos it scared me! lol

norfolkluego

posted on 28/4/11 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
If by 'sport' you mean motorsport I guess none of it could actually be described as cheap but certain types are 'affordable'.
Sprinting lets you drive your car competitvely and quickly (hopefully) on some interesting tracks for not too much, around £70-80 per day plus travel, Autosolo I believe (never done one) is similar but slightly cheaper, Autotests are cheaper still I believe but are not really speed events, you have to be damn good at car control though and do look good fun.

If you want to get into circuit racing that's more expensive, I'm sure some of the 750 racers will be along to give you some costs on that.

[Edited on 28/4/11 by norfolkluego]

marcjagman

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Building on the drive can be done, a few people, me included, have built cars on the drive, a car port and very large wind breaks are useful, this is Britian after all. There are companies that do wet weather gear, GBS, Westfield etc some are very expensive and occaisionly on ebay. Grit your teeth and get stuck in, one last thing....good luck.
jono2020

posted on 28/4/11 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I am only 21 and when I brought it and insured it I was 20. Still my insurance was only £490. which I was quite chuffed with... I brought a pre built one as I dont have the mechanical knowledge or deep enough pockets to build one. With speed... I wanted to try and live to see 30 so I didnt trust myself with a bike engine one to start with. They are SUPER quick, very agressive engines and will want to make u race everything on the road, but being young and never driven a rear wheel drive car I didnt trust myself not to be stupid and end up killing myself. So after being taken out in one I changed my mind, although I am now contemplating trading to a BEC next year. So I chose a Zetec powered tiger avon. Its still really quick and great fun to drive. If you decide to but one you will love it. My friend has also just brought one and keeps it on the drive under a car cover so you will be fine too. If you are unsure what to get then there is a show on this Sunday called Stoneleigh. You will see all kinds there and speak to loads of people with different opinions...
smiles

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone for ur helpful replys i would proberly get a built car and just have the fun driving it lol. Is there any gd sites to buy a kit car from i would like a locost 7 cos they r nice but not fussy as all look gd awesome but would like one that is easy to get parts for. I have a honda integra type r dc2 at the moment so will sell that in the winter and buy a kit car for next summer cos i dont want to rush into buying one cos ive done that before and big mistake.
Where about is this show?

[Edited on 28/4/11 by smiles]

McLannahan

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
At Stoneleigh Park near Coventry.

Well worth going if you're interested, it's one (if not the) largest kit car show in the world and held every year about this time.

http://www.grosvenorshows.co.uk/html/national_kit_car_motor_shows.html

smiles

posted on 28/4/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
wont be able to attend that more than 6 hours away from Edinburgh. Any ideas where to buy a pre built one?
James

posted on 28/4/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiles
wont be able to attend that more than 6 hours away from Edinburgh. Any ideas where to buy a pre built one?

Here, in the For Sale section.

Pistonheads

Ebay

are the usual places.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

smiles

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
been looking at robin hoods are these any gd? they look gd and are the right price. What are the gd bits and bad bits about these cars and what to look out for?
Thanks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.