Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Going to buy a new car, but have i missed anything?
b16mts

posted on 1/5/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Going to buy a new car, but have i missed anything?

eh up,

Ive finally sold my Tiger, and now selling my subaru to pool the funds to buy something new.

I thought who better to ask than a bunch of petrolheads who've collectively driven or owned every caqr out there.

Here's my criteria:

Must return above 35 MPG
Must have Isofix rear seats for the baby.
Must have a big enough boot to take my 2 great danes (tall dogs, 11 stone each)
I would like it to be quite luxurious, eg sat nav, perhaps leather
Must have cruise control (wifes car has it and i love it)
Ideally fun to drive, ideally RWD
Ideally different (not something run of the mill, my car history is mostly jap import turbo's etc)
My budget is up to £9000, i'll be doing just under 10,000 miles per year, so i dont know how significant low mileage is really.
If i'm able to spend significantly less money then i'll have spare cash to go into lawnmower racing, which is my next plan for a bit of fun when i can afford it.

So far I have considered but not discounted:

BMW 530d estate
Vauxhall Zafira VXR
Honda accord type s estate
Merc e class diesel
Chrysler 300c CRD Touring.

I'm seriously erring towards the 300c, as its unusual and ticks most boxes, plus its not to everyone taste (which kind of appeals) big enough, plenty of toys, trinkets and luxury etc.

any suggestions welcomed.

Martin

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

jase380

posted on 1/5/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
just been and looked at a 530 d (e60 ) today and although it was a lovely car, the boot is quite small, i think my german shepherd would feel a bit squashed in it so i cant see 2 danes loving the space !!, think the merc has a bigger boot as does the a6 avant.
cadebytiger

posted on 1/5/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The mondeo is worth a look

We just got one and I really like it

bj928

posted on 1/5/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
i love the E class, lovely car, although mine was a v8 petrol, i think the 320 cdi a great car, i was looking for a 320 cdi when i found the AMG, and wasn't worried about MPG so went with the AMG, the 300c has the 2.7 merc engine, and running gear so a good car, and rear drive, not a fan of BMW, but i guess they have sold enough so they can't be all bad, other than that its either a 4x4 or front drive thing
bj928

posted on 1/5/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
i've been looking for a mondeo for my bro, if you go for a higher miles, you can get a titanium x estate fully loaded for 9k, and they get well over 40 mpg, and cheap tax, go well as well, might be able to get a titanium x sport if you look hard
ChrisW

posted on 1/5/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
A6 Avant. My 3.0 diesel quattro will return that mileage with sensible driving but still exciting enough for a petrol head. Loads of room in the back, loads of toys, ticks all your boxes I think other than it's FWD or 4WD, no RWD option.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 1/5/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
You will be lucky to see much above 25mpg from the Chrysler in normal use.
Dopdog

posted on 1/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
what about the nissan pathfinder that has all the bits on it

[Edited on 1/5/11 by Dopdog]

carpmart

posted on 1/5/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the BMW E61 530d if it was my money!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/5/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
It would be the 300c for me, look great, E class running gear at a bargain price, its a big car, but you should get at least 35mpg, Ive got the S class merc with the older 3.2cdi and average 38mpg, and get 45+mpg on a run.
MikeR

posted on 1/5/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
As a slightly different approach - ford SMAX and put the last two seats down.

Loads of space for the dogs, supposed to be a good drive, lots of toy options and easily above 35mpg on the diesel.

02GF74

posted on 1/5/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
ah, phew, it's you .... for a moment I thought this was Flak Monkey ....

zilspeed

posted on 1/5/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Loads of space for the dogs, supposed to be a good drive, lots of toy options and easily above 35mpg on the diesel.

I like this approach too.

I have an elderly Citroen Synergie and over the last year have grown to love its abilities.

We always have it in 5 seat config. with a huge boot.
Whilst it won't trouble any Ferraris, it's certainly not a slug either and has wonderful mid range grunt.
Does 40mpg easily as well.

An S max or similar would be a great thing if you're determined to spend large money.
Once you get used to the abilities of a genuine MPV it's not something you want to give up.

P.S. I wouldn't expect any mainstream RWD car to be particularly engaging to drive these days.
All the involvement is deliberately engineered out of them to avoid that.

flak monkey

posted on 1/5/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
ah, phew, it's you .... for a moment I thought this was Flak Monkey ....

Cheeky f*&^r

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Superningnong

posted on 2/5/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic I was the man who bought martins tiger! Martin, I went to stonleigh today and the car didn't miss a beat.
I'm already planning some mods including a possible color change to white!!

Seriously though the car is ace and goes like a preverbal wotsit.......you have done a great job with it and I'm a very happy man.

I'd recommend the a6 avant cos as you know that's what I got...great for my big fat Labrador and 2 smelly kids.

Cheers mate

Pete

morcus

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
this Might not fit all criteria but certainly an intresting option, especially considering your opinion on the Chrysler, Had you considered a Cadillac?

You could get a BLS Estate for that money, and it would easilly return 35 MPG, especially if you bought a 1.9 diesel (With an Alfa Engine). It's basically a 9-3 underneath so should be very reliable. The BLS is FWD but for RWD option there is always the next car up, the CTS Estate (though they didn't make an estate body of the first model so it might be beyond budget, and they haven't ever made a diesel so it will be thirsty. I just checked and the estate was launched in 09 and might not have been sold here officially).

Also, Jag X-type. A guy I work with has a 3 litre saloon and gets about 30mpg, so I imagine the diesel would meet most of you requirements.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

HowardB

posted on 3/5/11 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
how about a Subaru Legacy Outback or perhaps a Forester, both available as insane jap imports, or with serious turbo power,...

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

MikeRJ

posted on 3/5/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
how about a Subaru Legacy Outback or perhaps a Forester, both available as insane jap imports, or with serious turbo power,...

But not 35mpg!

nick205

posted on 3/5/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

I like this approach too.

I have an elderly Citroen Synergie and over the last year have grown to love its abilities.

We always have it in 5 seat config. with a huge boot.
Whilst it won't trouble any Ferraris, it's certainly not a slug either and has wonderful mid range grunt.
Does 40mpg easily as well.

An S max or similar would be a great thing if you're determined to spend large money.
Once you get used to the abilities of a genuine MPV it's not something you want to give up.

I'm with you here Zil, after fighting it for a long time I now wouldn't be without our Alhambra for all round ability. Granted it's not a sporty option, but in every other respect is ace

Best job so far was collecting 5m decking planks from Jewson - out the passenger window and the boot slightly, but I got them home without having to pay delivery or resort to cutting them up on site

Jasper

posted on 3/5/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an E39 530d and absolutely love it. Chipped it a while ago, now 240bhp, nearly 300lb ft of torque, and gets me over 35mpg and I always drive it like I stole it. Super comfortable, great handling for such a big car, lovely inside with plenty of toys. Not many good estates around though last time I looked. When I eventually change cars I'll just get a newer one!

BTW - have you sat in the Chrysler? I had one as a rental car in the US a few back - the interior was like something from the 1980's, lots of cheap black plastic, nothing like the kind of quality you'll get from the German cars.

[Edited on 3/5/11 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

twybrow

posted on 3/5/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
For boot space, the Accord takes some beating.. Far bigger (in estatre form) than any of its rivals...
b16mts

posted on 5/5/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just been thrown a curveball!!!!

One of my uncles mates is selling his "company car" of his own limited company.

It's a Mitsubishi l200 4life. 2001 model, with truckman top and 59000 miles. Never been off road, and never been used for business really. Gets serviced every year and regularly undersealed. Apparently in really good condition and wants for nothing.

I've owned 2 Hilux surfs and loved them, so not put off, plus they run well on veg oil, so that's gonna stretch the competitive fuel economy.

The best bit is, he wants £2000 for it!

is this a good idea or not?

Cheers,

Martin

DRC INDY 7

posted on 5/5/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
The merc v6 turbo diesel in the 300c is 3000cc the 2.7 as refered to in a previous post was never fitted to the 300c only the grand cherokee and is a in line 5 cylinder

Ex jeep chrysler and dodge technician

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

morcus

posted on 5/5/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Pickups are the very best thing for dogs. My Dad had a ford ranger which he bought because he had a huge dog, unfortunatly he bought it when they were really fashionable so it cost him alot of money and was worthless when it came time to sell and they were no longer fasionable.

The best thing is you won't smell the dogs but there are a few downsides.
You probably won't be able to see propperly out the back and you have to make sure you secure all your shopping or it destroys itself on the way home.

Great fun to drive though, I managed to make my dads spin all four wheels and pivot once.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

b16mts

posted on 15/5/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
just to update.

ive been looking at the pick up option in more detail, and i think ive fallen for an Isuzu Rodeo. 2006 with 58k miles, full leather etc, boot cover and should get it for around £7k with no vat to pay.

fingers crossed

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.