Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Filter for bike carbs
snippy

posted on 1/5/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Air Filter for bike carbs

Having now fitted bike carbs to my Zetec engine I was looking at buying a Pipercross Sausage filter or an equivalent make. I was looking at such a filter and its backplate at the Stoneleigh show today but sizewise they are way too big to fit to bike carbs. What have others fitted to their bike carbs as air filters? Where can I get a proper bike size sausage filter for example? Thanks.
Nick

Craigman9

posted on 2/5/11 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
A fellow locoster told me to buy some frying pan mesh from wilkinson for £1 and secure that over the inlets. I have used it ever since and it has worked perfectly well
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/5/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Nooooooo

Don't cover the inlets with mesh, it is very restrictive and kills power and airflow. If you want to check yourself, stick it on the rollers with and without the mesh, but that has been done many times.

Unless the mesh is used to create a huge airfilter type thing, in which case get one that filters the air.

Now, sizewise, do you mean they are too deep? Or too long/tall?

tul214

posted on 2/5/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Pipercross do the PX500 series that is only 370mm long.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

MikeRJ

posted on 2/5/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Nooooooo

Don't cover the inlets with mesh, it is very restrictive and kills power and airflow.

Not only that, it doesn't filter anything but large rocks out either so it's the most useless possible combination.

The Pipercross sausage filters are available in three lengths, the PX500 and PX550 are 370mm long which doesn't seem overly large for a car engine. The PX600 which is maybe what you saw at Stoneleigh is 435mm, and the PX650 is longer again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "too large" though, I can understand having problems fitting it to the TBs if it was too small.

[Edited on 2/5/11 by MikeRJ]

macc man

posted on 2/5/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote

Px500 will fit under the bonnet of most 7 type cars if yo do not make the manifold too long.

Craigman9

posted on 2/5/11 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I am back from work in 4 weeks time, think I might have to make some modifications after reading this!
snippy

posted on 2/5/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Maccman - if that is the PX500 in your picture then I reckon that will fit a treat. It also looks to be thin enough as I don`t want anything more than 60mm thick. I saw an ITG sausage filter at Stoneleigh today which was the right length but too thick at 90mm. I`ll look into the PX500 more. Thanks guys.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.