Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Second hand concrete (or timber) garages?
dhutch

posted on 2/5/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Second hand concrete (or timber) garages?

Anyone got an views/thoughts on the above?

Im hopfully shortly going to in the position of owning somwhere to put a garage (and if not now, in a year or so) and while in the long term im seriously considering having a proper brick/tile one build in the short term im expecting to need something cheaper and faster!

I dont mind adding a new roof or simular (particularly if the origanal was asbestos renforced) but im just wondering how well these things come part, transport, go together back again? Seen a few on ebay and am wondering if its an option or not. Clearly local is king cost wise!

Presumably they typically just rest on the concrete slab with no as such proper foundations?

Daniel

chrisxr2

posted on 2/5/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
shed

could you not put up a wooden shed/ garage fairly quickly??

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

whitestu

posted on 2/5/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
New concrete ones aren't expensive - a basic sngle garage is about a grand.

By the time you have bought one secondhand and transported it it would have to be very cheap to make it a good deal.

Stu

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/5/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
second making a large wooden shed, woods quite cheap if bought in bulk from a timber merchant and warmer in the winter

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dum-Dum

posted on 2/5/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the concreet ones had to have their posts sunk into the foundation/base
grub

posted on 2/5/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dum-Dum
I thought the concreet ones had to have their posts sunk into the foundation/base

No they stand on a concrete base.

dhutch

posted on 2/5/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
New concrete ones aren't expensive - a basic sngle garage is about a grand.

By the time you have bought one secondhand and transported it it would have to be very cheap to make it a good deal.

This is true, im hoping for a double, which are a bit more, an dhave seen them second hand for effectively 'free to collector' prices at which point its a weekend work for a grand or two. If life was that simple.

quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2
could you not put up a wooden shed/ garage fairly quickly??

Well, thats certainly the other option, but is a weekend or so's work too and while not super-pricey wood isnt free.

Just tossing up the options really.

As well as thinking how i can design it such that i can reuse the base if i did then build a proper garage, presumably they like houses have the wall on foundations and then just float a floor inside that?

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.