Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Camber gain
kango

posted on 4/5/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Camber gain

I have built 2 "7s" so far and would like to build the next chassis to handle better.

If we assume the same suspension travel as a 7. [50mm Compression and 25 mm droop.]

What would the desired camber gain be front and back at maximum compression?

Should the front and back gain be the same?

This will be an all out racer.

I am starting to manufacture from the back and will manufacture the uprights so can create the optimal geometry.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/5/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
There are many books 100's of pages long that can't even give you a definitive answer, its going to take a lot of research and working out of parameters and needs to find the optimum answer.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kb58

posted on 5/5/11 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
You pretty much have to work backwards, deciding that "the car will lean this many degrees in a hard turn of this many Gs," then figure out how much suspension compensation is needed to keep the tires at optimum.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 5/5/11 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Make adjustable arms for testing after a good guess?
Bare

posted on 6/5/11 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
Suggest copying something that works :-)
I've seen garage built Dune Buggies :-) seriously outperform distributor sponsored/prepped Porsches.. repeatedly.

NOT striving for "optimal' geometry is likest the cleverest approach :-)
Good luck.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/5/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Camber gain is highly dependant on the innner pick-ups so adjustable length arms wont help.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 6/5/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Camber gain is highly dependant on the innner pick-ups so adjustable length arms wont help.

One approach would be to mount the suspension on sub-frames, this would allow you to make changes more easily by making up new subframes.

Another might be to make the inner suspension pivots on the chasis adjustable; e.g bolted on with spacers or perhaps elongated U brackets with a series of bolt holes (particularly for the upper arms).

kango

posted on 7/5/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks so far.

Friend gave ma all the books to read and after doing it I was non the wiser.

Then searched the forum and also nothing.

Thought I might give it an up and under here on the forum and see what I get.

Prehaps some suggestions of what is working to give me a GOOD start.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/5/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kango
Thanks so far.

Friend gave ma all the books to read and after doing it I was non the wiser.

Then searched the forum and also nothing.

Thought I might give it an up and under here on the forum and see what I get.

Prehaps some suggestions of what is working to give me a GOOD start.

Find a similar car that wins races and copy that. Unfortunately getting the exact data may be a problem.

So instead get all the data you can from similar cars and a 'trend' usually emerges, plonk your car somewhere in the middle of that and design in loads of adjustment. Just try to avoid copying stuff that is comprimised with donor car parts as these won't have been designed to the optimum.

As my rather wise university lecturer once advised me "Copy something that works and design in loads of adjustment"

kango

posted on 10/5/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
kango

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody has the ATOM or Crossbow rear geometry specs?
britishtrident

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
It was quite common on racers in the 1950s to early 1960s (fore example on the Rudd designed BRMs) to have multiple mounting hole positions for the wishbones to enable the wishbones to enable the roll centre heights to be altered to alter the roll couple distribution to enable the oversteer-understeer balance to be altered. Problem with this approach is alters so many other variables (for example bump steer) that it isn't a trival adjustment. Then Chapman rendered it all obsolete he set the roll centres at the design stage and fine tuned the handling by adjustable ant-roll bars front and rear.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.