Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra stalks wiring to zx12r!!!
Doyleee

posted on 8/5/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra stalks wiring to zx12r!!!

Hi could somebody please help me,
I've searched though the forums about this topic but still getting confused,

I have a kawasaki zx12r wiring that i need to convert to the sierra stalk switches (i dont need wipers) the stalks and steering i believe are off a J plate sierra think remember seeing 87 stamped on indicator switch?)( its adjustable by the way).

I know that these switches seem to switch the earth(12v-) and the bike ones switch the positive (12v+) ive tried cutting the earth to relay and switch that but the main beam light on the bike clocks stay on also these work regardless if no ignition or side lights.
Is there an easy way to change the stalks to early type if they switch the positive.(do they fit?)

I have got my side lights working and indicators also hazzards (but hazzards only work with the ignition switched on.
Its driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to moan and im sure that this has been answered before but cant see straight answer!

P.s i have printed out the bike wiring diagram to refer to.
Any help greatly appreciated.

daniel mason

posted on 8/5/11 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
if you were to use seperate relays for all the lights eg 1 for sides,1 for dipped and 1 for main beam it should be straight forward.
take a permanent 12v feed to the one side of the relay switch contact, loop from that to one side of the relay coil,take the feed to the light to the other side of the switch contact!
then with the stalk. find out which wire is the common/chassis ground and connect to chassis ground. then the sidelight feed from the stalk to the other side of the relay coil.
same process with dipped and main but you can use an ignition +ve rather than permanent feed.
depending on the headlights your using you may need to fit a diode to stop the main beam warning light coming on when you use dipped beam

Doyleee

posted on 9/5/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Dan
I started writing you a reply about not really understanding relays but then i thought i teach myself by looking at the kawasaki drawing so 3 HOURS later 3 a couple of A4 sheets and numerous drawings and then bingo the penny finally dropped!!!
By doing what you are saying i am now basically switching the power to the relay by the earth (negative)
EXCELLENT!!
now all i need to do is get to the garage and start cutting some wires!!
a couple last things though, i presume (of my basic knowledge) that if i buy a diode and solder it(the right way round!) into the wire lighting up the dash light then it will stop the light illuminating? what size diode do i buy? and i presume i can get it from maplins?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.