Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wifes got Trigeminal Neuralgia, dogs got to be put down ....
Jasper

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wifes got Trigeminal Neuralgia, dogs got to be put down ....

Just wanted a moan really.

In the last 2 weeks my mental sister has had a huge tantrum and seriously upset my very sweet and kind parents - it looks likely we'll never be speaking again (this is not the first time it's happened and we've all had enough).

The dog's back went, she had a £3k operation and now only has a <10% chance of recovery and will have to be put down in 4 weeks if she doesn't develop any feeling in her back legs. We're all really upset about it, she incontinent and dragging herself about - heartbreaking and she's only 6 years old.

3 days ago my wife went to the doctors with severe face pain to be told she has Trigeminal Neuralgia, and excruciatingly painful condition that's very hard to treat and is now on heavy painkillers that have turned her into a zombie.

Her Dad (only 60) has advanced Parkinsons and the time has come to move him into a home/sheltered accommodation - a conversation no one is looking forward to but has to happen very soon.

Her Gran broke her hip a couple of weeks ago, luckily her mum is around to help look after her, but it's been a real worry.

Oh yes, and my business has been really struggling lately too and adding to the stress, just to add to the shit.

So if things are going ok in your lives at the moment, make sure you take some time out to appreciate it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Krismc

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Not good mate.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

nick205

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear this Jasper - a bad run of events for sure!

Not far off the same "conversation" with SWMBOs Dad and he's in relatvely good health.

Hope the outlook picks up for you and yours.

James

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Really sorry to hear all this mate.

None of these things I have any experience of so can't offer any sensible advice but all the best to your family and I hope things improve soon.

You're a top bloke and have always been very generous to me so I hope life repays you with some good luck! In the mean time, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

All the best and get well soon to the missus!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

r1_pete

posted on 9/5/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Some tough breaks there, prioritise and take them one at a time.

I've done the care home thing, not easy, be careful with your selection of home, and things do turn out for the better If he needs nursing care, you do not have to self fund, homes will try and get you to because its easier for them.

Hope things soon pick up for you...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 9/5/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about you woes,
I know a lot of people having a tough time at the moment, which is a distraction from my own, just come out of hospital after having a benign tumor removed from my middle ear. The reason I mention it is because that is what caused my Neuralgia, tumor ate my middle ear bones exposed my facial nerve and made a hole into my brain cavity, so if your wife has not had a CT scan get her one just to check as the GP's I saw about my Neuralgia said they could see no reason for the pain and just gave me pain killers (found that GABAPENTIN worked best for me ). If no joy with the GP just get your wife to Ear/Nose/throat dept and just be a pain in the arse until someone takes a proper look.

Also sorry to hear about the dogs problems I still have my bitch who had similar problem no op but no use of back legs etc,left her for a few days hoping she would recover and trying not to have to make that decision, took her to the vet left her in the car whilst the vet whent to get "The Injection kit" and I had too walk away from the car as I was a bit upset only for her to jump out of the car and follow me, she had not moved for days, shes still with us, back is not brillant but she still wants to work the sheep (jelous of the young dog I now have working the sheep).

So I hope that will help with the outlook on your situation at the moment.

And I second the comment about anyone who is in good health and has a roof over their head and can put food on the table just take a moment to think how lucky you are and enjoy life, it may be shorter than you think, I was less than a week from the end of mine untill I had emergency op, thanks to a Polish doctor demanding I had a scan. You do not have to take the stock answer that some GPs give "nothing we can do for you, but these pills might help" I am sure that some of them are just salesmen for the drug companies.

Hope your situation improves soon Neil.

Spider

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/5/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Know how you feel been down the rocky road this year myself.
This Last 12 months I found out how kind and supportive my real friends
are.
I have also found out the mathimatical property's of the equation 21 goes into 43.
Dam good law men cost but are well worth thier weight in salt.

Discovered happiness in a chance meeting of a real kind lass leading to some wonderful times.
She has ordered me to get my bike licences back and wants to get a pan euro or a big Beemer tourer.
New lass likes cars and bikes wow how did that happen!!!!!!
Changed my job , dumb lazy Facebook obsessed wife and almost every aspect of my former existance .

Sure it cost me with my toybox being empty but the new lass has a plan to sort that.

Ive eaten hard cheese for many a year but now it's simply bliss.

Thinking of what it was to what it is it took a big leap of faith.

There is light at the end of the tunnel just have to keep driving.

Good luck Jasper everything will come right.... It may take a while.

scootz

posted on 9/5/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that...

Hope things improve!

It's Evolution Baby!

TimC

posted on 9/5/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its hard to know what to say to that Jasper; of course I hope that things get better and soon.

It does rather put my 'troubles' into perspective. Fingers crossed for you.

Custardpants

posted on 9/5/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes these things happen to the best of us - get through it and you'll be stronger when you're out the other side. My example-

A couple of buddies were squished by a landrover in front of me a few weeks ago, I can't look at mincemeat the same way, it was just like a horror film. I'd expected to be picking up Easter eggs that day, not other bits.

Days of statements, hospitals, a life support machine switch off and having to do a formal body Identification all added up to a bit of a sh't time, especially when you're associated with the accident too much to be welcome at the funeral....

I dealt with it all in a sequential way - now ask yourself what can you do to sort it all out. Break it all down into tasks and get busy. It will take your mind of it and the more you get stuff done the better you will feel.

At the end of the day you are lucky enough to be in one piece yourself and perfectly capable to tackle this crap head on - if you can get through this, you can do anything, good luck. Sounds like you're having a terrible time, but there is always someone else worse off-never forget that!

DaveFJ

posted on 9/5/11 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear you're having such a bad time...

I had Trigeminal Neuralgia last year. It lasted about 3 weeks and I was totally beside myself with the pain. No painkillers would touch it including morphine! but, If it is any comfort at all, one day it just went!
Admittedly every time i get a little pain i worry that it might come back but , fingers crossed, it hasnt so far.....

Hope it clears up for your wife soon, I truly do know how painful it is....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Daddylonglegs

posted on 9/5/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear all the stuff you've had to put up with chap. I know we all get bad times in our lives but you seem to have had more than a fair share among your family lately! Let's hope things pick up for you and your kin and good on you for having the grace to make sure others make the best of what they have

Things do improve of that I'm sure, sometimes it takes longer than others.

Chin up mate

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/5/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your woes mate.

The Trigeminal Neuralgia however is an operable condition, or I should say it was for my brother. Ok the operation was quite frightening and very risky (about as risky as my wifes recent brain op) but it brought him relief. I do understand that it it an expensive and time consuming operation and that there are very few surgions that offer it, so it might be worth chasing up. My brother is located down around Southampton so it might be worth asking some pertinent questions in that direction.

I hope things pick up for you mate.

JGG

Oh, one other thing I gleaned from his surgery is that apparently there is possible hereditary ellement to the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

[Edited on 9/5/11 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

zilspeed

posted on 9/5/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper

Regarding, your Mrs situation, I narrowly avoided something similar some years ago.
I had a benign cyst, basicallly inside my head, which ate away part of my palate and into the sinus and brain cavity.
I was fortunate in that an observant and wonderful maxilofacial surgeon caught it and operated.
My pain was zero, but let's face it, a growth in your head is never ever cool.

Regarding the Father in law.
Here's how we dealt with it and I make no apologies for being devious.
As far as he's concerned he's not going into a home. He's there for a little bit until you get some things sorted out at home.
He'll be home soon enough.
We kept this line going with my terminally ill father until the day he died. He was there for months .
He dealt with it very well because he knew he would be coming home when things were sorted.
Things never were sorted, he was never coming home, but why upset him by telling him that ?

As I said, I make no apologies for that approach.
It made an unmanageable situation very manageable.

trextr7monkey

posted on 9/5/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper,
Moaning like that you are starting to sound like a teacher (that's a joke before I get banned!) or one of the country and western songs- (ditto Tammy Wynette fan club).
It sounds like a sh1t run of luck by anyone's standards but on the bright side folk here are at least giving you a bit more to think about (another benefit of LCB site!!) and whle there's no snap solutions at least you know there's others in a similar boat or have had some similar experiences which must help a bit. If you feel you are stuck in the midddle with too many things going on call a mate crack a few cans and kick some ideas around, a fresh perspective might throw up a few fresh ideas as you can tell I'm no agony aunt but I hope you see things improve before too long
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

se7en

posted on 9/5/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
You're having a bad spell - it will change for the better but while it is prominent it causes pain.

My dog had exactly the same problems as yours - he was 15 so it was not worth having any operation. We knew that he had very little time to live so we bought a new Rottweiller pup. The next day he was found dead in his kennel, he is sadly missed.

I have had Trigeminal Neuralgia for over 10 years. I original went to my dentist as I thought the pain was from my teeth. The dentist suggested that I had Neuralgia and suggested treatment by Gabapentin. I went to my GP and he confirmed the dentists diagnosis. He looked in his book of medicines and agreed with the dentist of treating with Gabapentin but he also prescribed Amitriptyline. I have been taking these pair of medicines for over 10 years and they work completely - no pain, its great.

I do hope that your family problems will ease.

Hope this helps, keep your chin up, there are better times ahead.

Tom

imp paul

posted on 9/5/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
mate i wish you all the luck in the world i hope things get better for you very soon keep your chin up all the best paul
Dangle_kt

posted on 9/5/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
All the best dude.
Andybarbet

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
In the last 6 or 7 years, between me & my wife we have had some real troubles (been together 5 years now & married for almost 1 year).
My wife lost her dad to cancer, we both went through quite bad previous relationship break ups, i lost everything, house, cars the lot after she moved her boyfriend in, i then found out that i had arthritis in my back at the age of 31, my now wife was a victim of quite bad domestic abuse/violence, since we met each other she has had a cancer scare herself, both our mums have had cancer scares, my son had pneumonia, we both ended up losing everything from previous relationships but managed to inherit all of the debt from our previous partners too !
Strangely enough, we were only saying last night how we are coming out of the other end now, we are soul mates, have 2 healthy kids, not much money & a lot of 2nd hand stuff but we are happy & looking back a few years we couldnt see things improving back then.

Keep your chin up, try & stay positive, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if you cant see it or if it seems like its very far away.

Not much help i suppose but our close friends (realised who they were very quickly) have helped us both through it & our familys have been fantastic, i really hope things take a turn for you for the better.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

owelly

posted on 9/5/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've nothing to offer you but my best wishes. Don't waste them.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 9/5/11 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, sorry to hear of your mountain of problems and sorry I cannot help apart from wishing you the very best of luck. I also had TGN and after the operation I wrote a small piece for the TGN website. I hope it is of some help. (First published January 2007)

Hi

I am sitting at my computer slowly recovery from my operation which I had on Thursday, 2nd December 2006, to relieve me of the unbelievable pain of TGN. I have just joined this group and hope that my story will give a little hope to you.

Like most suffers I went to the dentist (Feb 2005) complaining of sharp pains in my mouth, after taking some x-rays he suggested I visit my GP as he thought I might have TGN. My GP confirmed this and within a few weeks I had an appointment to see a consultant at the Kent & Canterbury Hospital. I underwent an MRI scan which confirmed my condition and I was given a course of Tegratol 200mg x3 per day. This worked, but on many occasions I would miss a dose or for some reason there would be a devastating pain break-through which only those who suffer from TGN will know.

In December 2005 I was sent to King College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London to see a consultant neurosurgeon. After tests and a pre-op a micro vascular decompression operation was arranged for February 06. Nearer the date the Tegratol seemed to be working well, I was due to marry, I did not want to spoil the occasion and after talks with the consultant the operation was postponed. I think at this point I went into a period of self denial, the drugs were working, and I was alive and otherwise healthy. I was off on an exotic holiday and all was well with the world.

This period of remission lasted throughout the summer with the occasional breakthrough. But I was deceiving myself, it was not remission, I was now taking 1600mg of Tegratol a day (4x400mg). The side effects were horrific; I had slurred speech, I kept losing my balance, constantly tired and had developed handshakes. In November 06 the cold winds started blowing the pain was indescribable, I could not eat or talk and I was constantly "zonked out" on Tegratol. My wife insisted I contact Kings and I was called in on November 06.

At the age of 54 I am lucky enough to have never needed any hospital treatment, and therefore, this was a new experience for me.

Day 1: Registered, had pre-op tests, i.e. Blood Pressure, Heart Rate and Weight checked. Spoke to the neurosurgeon who advised me that even by their standards this is a serious operation and could result in some dangerous side effects which included Strokes, Paralysis or even Death.

I then spent the rest of the day walking the streets outside the hospital in a trance asking my wife what I have agreed to. I could leave here with fully cured with no more pain or I may never see my wife and children again, quite a sobering thought.

Day 2: After spending the night in hospital I spoke to a young 17 year old lad in the next bed. He was due in theatre to have the same op to cure his TN. This was an inspiration, here was me frightened of dying and here was a young lad still happy and confident. This was the turning point I remembered the pain I had suffered, the doctors are obliged to give you the worst scenario, but I told myself I am a survivor, I have a wife and three children and I am going home soon pain free to have a good Christmas.

In the morning I underwent another MRI scan and at 1pm was lying on a trolley outside the Theatre waiting to go in. I chatted to some medical students about my condition feeling very confident. I pulled myself on to the operating table from my trolley bed and was introduced to an army of doctors and nurses. I looked up at the array of lights and equipment and as I looked back down the anaesthetist said "time to go to slee........

Day 3: I was later told that I had been in theatre for seven and half hours. The nerve had been trapped in two places and was deeply entrenched; however, the op had been a success. I vaguely remember saying hello to my wife the previous evening but my recollections were very blurred.

I was in the High Dependency Ward, connected to sensors, drips, oxygen and felt very sick and weak. I remained here for four days, with items slowly being removed but constantly having my vital signs monitored and being given drugs both orally and via the drips.

Day 6: Transferred to a normal ward. (The young 17 years old lad was discharged today, a remarkable recovery – maybe the advantage of youth). At last I could look out of a window. My first attempt to go to the bathroom was awful, I had to be helped on and off the loo, the whole world was spinning, and when I fell into bed I slept for and hour to recover from the ordeal. Double vision was my biggest problem; I underwent two very through examinations and a CT scan. They felt this was a temporary condition and should clear in the next week or so.

Day 10: I was discharged today, the journey home of two hours was ok, it was nice to see the outside world, but I felt very disorientated. Being back in my own bed felt great.

Day 13: I got dressed and went outside with my wife for a walk along the High Street. Felt very insecure and unstable but never the less it was encouraging. Saw several people I knew, but again felt strangely distant. I am having trouble with my hearing it is very sensitive to high notes but muffled. My double vision has gone and I feel I am recovering.

To conclude, this was a life changing experience. Kings College Hospital is incredible. After your own initial worries and nerves the doctors make you feel very secure. But above all it’s the attention and warm humour from the ward staff that is the real tonic in making you feel better. A very happy West Indian porter told me “You live life in your mind not your body”. With the right attitude you can overcome any physical defects. I am now free of pain and have a whole new outlook on life.

It could be said that TGN enriched my life, lets hope you too experience this and remember stay positive.

If you would like more information feel free to u2u me. Regards Barry

[Edited on 9/5/11 by LBMEFM]

[Edited on 9/5/11 by LBMEFM]

Jasper

posted on 10/5/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Well thanks you guys, it's been a real help reading through all your posts. And my wife Helena wanted me to say thanks from her to, she's really touched by all your concern.

Well this morning she woke up after going to sleep with no pain still pain free and smiling. She's not taken the tablets today as yet as is still feeling ok. She's booked in tomorrow to see an acupuncturist who she knows who has had a lot of experience treating people with TGN, and according to what I've read on the web it can have good results.

The other piece of possibly better news is that her Mum suffered with TGN but only once, it never came back - and it's hereditary apparently, so she's hoping hers will be the same.

There seems to be a wide range of possible tablets you can take for this condition, her doctor seems to be really on the ball with it, so hopefully if it does re-occur she can get the right balance of drugs sorted. And I'll be pushing for a scan if it does get worse.

Anyway, it's a 'day at a time' at the moment, but we're certainly feeling better today than yesterday.

And as others have said my wife is my soul mate too, I hate to see her suffering.

Thanks again guys. I'll post any more good news when it happens

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.