Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd. Help! - Ford tool 12-007
Front Row Joe

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd. Help! - Ford tool 12-007

I'm trying to put my sierra rear disc calipers back together. Haynes states I need a ford tool 12-007 to wind the spring back into the caliper (over the pushrod) in order to get the circlip on. I have tried using a clamp but just can't get it to push in with enough room to get at the circlip. Any ideas. The tool or at least a decent stand in must exist some where! I probably should have just got then rebuilt but I've spent so much time on them now I don't want to give in. Thanks in advance. Joe.
snippy

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried to wind it back in rather than push it? Sometimes they are on a thread and the thread can be a reverse thread too so for example anti clockwise will wind it back in. Otherwise most motor factors sell caliper wind back tools which should do the job.
James

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Angle grinder spanner is pretty good I believe.

I used circlip pliers and no one had mentioned the above when I did mine.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

daviep

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^ I think the OP is rebuilding the internals of the caliper and not simply winding the piston back to fit pads.

Sorry I can't help but a picture or two may throw up some suggestions.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Front Row Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Davie is right. It's the internal's I'm building. Might be difficult to show in a photo as its very tight! If you've done it before I have no doubt you'll know what I'm on about! Thanks for the replies so far.
Front Row Joe

posted on 13/5/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Finally sorted it with an 11mm 1/2inch socket and some careful clamping. Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.